“Highly recommended!”

Ranked #20 of 78 Panama City B&B and Inns
washington dc
“Highly recommended!”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

My girlfriend and I recently stayed here for a two-night stay. The rooms are incredible with ambiance and amenities that are wonderful, including a jazz music track! Its location is wonderful departure point for walks to historical churches an sights in and around the city.

I've only reduced the rating from excellent because we experienced some challenges during check-in related to our online reservation; However, front office staff was extremely helpful and willing to go out of their way to find a resolution to our initial hick-up. Overall, the front desk staff is very helpful, fluent in English, and tried to be very accommodating. I would definitely stay here upon a return visit to Panama City and encourage others visiting to stay there as well.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reston, Virginia, United States
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Casa del Horno is an extraordinary hotel. We stayed 5 nights in the penthouse suite--two bedrooms, two baths, kitchen, living room area, balcony looking over the street. The room was beautiful, very clean, and elegantly decorated. Had breakfast delivered to our room each morning (breakfast was very good, but after 5 days of the same thing, we would have enjoyed a little variety). The whole area of Casco Viejo is undergoing significant renovation, and walking around can sometimes be tough going, but it was all so interesting and bustling with activity. The staff was exceedingly helpful finding us restaurants, cabs, tour guides, schedules for trains, etc. They cheerfully took care of every request we had. Don't miss ceviche at the nearby fish market, partial transit of the Panama Canal, city tour (bus where you can hop on and off at 9 different stops), and the ferry ride to Taboga Island.

Room Tip: Even though there were just 2 of us, we loved having the spacious penthouse suite!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GMZ1
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I had read excellent reviews of Casa del Horno, and what we found lived up to what I had expected. We were in a Penthouse suite, perfect for our family of 4. The accommodations are EXTREMELY nice and well done. Breakfasts served to our suite were a treat, and the staff was very helpful. What I was not prepared for was the amount of construction going on in Casco Viejo. I would say that 75% of it is under construction at this time. Our street was barricaded off, so without help, it would have been very hard to find this hotel. Do not attempt to drive here on your own! We arranged airport transportation through the hotel, the same driver took us back and forth, and he was great. Well worth it! Taxis don't necessarily even know how to find this place. I would love to return in 5 years and see the results of all of this construction. It has the potential to be amazing! That said, I'm still glad we stayed here vs. downtown. There's still quite a bit of charm showing through the dilapidated buildings!

New York City, New York
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Casa Del Horno is a great place to stay. The room was fantastic- large, well decorated and quiet.
It was really more of a 1 bedroom apartment. Loved the room service- we had all our breakfasts delivered to the room and I highly recommend everyone do that. The cafe downstairs isn't really as nice as the room. We found the staff to be friendly.
Casco Viejo is really a work in progress. Be prepared for the dirty, debris lined streets and the constant construction. When we visited, the street outside the hotel was partially blocked off so it was almost impossible to find the entrance in the dark.
That said Casa Del Horno is a refuge from the noise and dust. The food is very good in Panama City and i recommend the restaurant at Las Clementinas. I will revisit Panama in a few years when all the construction is done.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I was in panama city only for 2 days due to work, but I would have loved to stay longer. I stayed in a hotel which was like a small paradise called Casa del Horno. It's in the old city next to the plaza Catedral. It has a great quality/price ratio and I recommend it to couples and family's thanks to its amazing staff, great food cooked by an Italian chef in there restaurant , the beautiful building and interiors of the rooms.
I had a very spacious room with a comfortable bed and breakfast was delicious.... I also had an incredible jacuzzi !!!
I will return to casa del Horno for sure. :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 11, 2012

When we arrived in our room, I almost broke into tears. The ambiance was transforming after a day of travel with our toddler and in my pregnant state. The king room (#5, on the top floor) was AMAZING! It was spacious (just what we needed for traveling with a toddler) and practically decorated (seating area for relaxing and kitchen table for eating). The additional small details (artwork, kitchen sink, dishes) were spot on and added value versus fluff. The beautifully restored brick walls took the room over the top (be prepared for debris on the floor daily from the brick "shedding"). There are doors in each room leading to the long balcony that continues from one room to the other. I liked our view of the church that is beside Independence Plaza. The opposite side of the hotel faces the street which is under construction and there is nothing to see but dilapidated buildings. For two days, we really were in love with this hotel...until...the A/C went out in our room. Let me remind you that I am pregnant and that it was 85% humidity.

To make a long story short-the hotel staff did not know for sure how to properly work the a/c unit and didn't even acknowledge that the a/c was in fact broke for over a day. We sat in limbo, not knowing if the a/c would be fixed or if someone who knew how to assess the problem would be coming to deal with the issue. When I finally put my foot down about moving to another room, they said they would be able to the next day...so we grinned and beared it with a fan (which wasn't given to us until a whole day had passed...at 11pm when the overnight desk attendant acknowledged that the a/c was broke...tell me something I don't know!) We negotiated an upgrade to the penthouse the next day at noon, so we packed everything up (remember, we are traveling with a toddler...and we were staying for 6 days, so we completely unpacked) and left the hotel around 10am, arriving back at 1pm. Ready to settle into our new room, put the baby down for a nap and put this terrible issue behind us...we were now told that we couldn't check into the penthouse until 4pm. Talk about inconvenience, stress and distraction from a relaxing vacation...all while being pregnant and managing a toddler. We agreed to temporarily move (with all of our stuff) to the room next door until the penthouse was ready for us. When it was ready, we moved all of our stuff AGAIN to then determine that the a/c in this unit was also not working properly. The staff again, seemed unsure if the a/c had an issue...I was beginning to feel crazy, until one of the staff members validated that it was very hot in the room. We spent nearly our whole day dealing with these issues and moving from room to room.

**As a side note, I found the penthouse to be overrated...I much more preferred the king room. The penthouse was not as open and free-flowing, it was a little narrow and tight in comparison with the king rooms we stayed in. The door to the main level bedroom was damaged a bit and then repainted poorly. Maybe, if the room was comfortable I would have seen past some of the small details and liked the room.**

Eventually, we settled into the neighboring room that was supposed to be temporary. It was also a king room (#6); however, it was a little smaller than the first. Additionally, there was a picture missing from the wall in the bedroom, but the bolt was still visible. Another difference, was that the TV in this room was significantly bigger than the one in the previous king room.

We had to wait two days to find out how we would be compensated for our issues. Only one day was removed from our bill when we dealt with the issue for two days straight. Unfortunetly, this did effect our trip in a very negative way. We LOVED the king room itself, but we always stay at top-notch boutique hotels and this place did disappoint. I am being kind by rating the hotel a 4 because without the issues the hotel would have been a 5; however, with the issues and how they were handled, the rating should be a 3.

The staff was very friendly, but friendly service doesn't equal outstanding service. I requested a wake up call one day that was 15 minutes late. One day, the room wasn't serviced. Another day, I called for sugar that was never delivered. Our last day, I asked that no one call or enter the room but they did anyway.

2 Thank MissingMoorea
CasaDelHorno, Director General at Casa del Horno, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Dear Missing Moorea,

By these means we would like to extend our most warm greetings, on behalf of all the personnel of your Casa del Horno Boutique Hotel. Also, allow us to express our most sincere apologies for the inconvenient you experienced with us during your stay .

For us, to “keep the welfare and comfort of our guests” is a very important principle on our Hospitality Promise, which is why we are constantly working to provide our guests with excellent service.

Thank you for choosing us as your home away from home.

We are at your service for further comments or inquiries.

Eric Franco-General Manager
Libertyville, IL
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed for two nights in this almost new hotel. The room quality is exceptional for size and for both design and construction. There were two minor problems with the room which did not get repaired while we were there which is why the rating is 4 instead of 5. The staff is very nice and speaks Spanish as well as English. On the first floor is a charming cafe serving breakfasts and sandwiches. There is is also an excellent and beautiful Italian restaurant.
The entire Colonial section of Panama City is either renovated, under construction, or in planning. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The block that Casa del Horno is on is vacant except for the hotel. We walked in daylight and at night and never saw anything or anyone that made us feel unsafe.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
CasaDelHorno, Director General at Casa del Horno, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Dear Mr DW345,

Thank you very much for your valuable time in letting us know your comments. We are really glad to had you as our guests in our property. We would like to apologize in the response time to manage your issues, knowing that you are expecting the best of us. Kind Regards, Eric Franco-General Manager.