“Only option around the Hotel in City of Knowledge”

La Taberna del Canal
Ranked #160 of 1,055 Restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

The food and the service was ok. I've asked for a grilled fish that wasn't in the menu and they did it, nice!! It is a bar/restaurant that would be nice to seat outside and have some refreshment or even dinner if they don't have such a noise ventilators and noise music !

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Ribeye and salmon were simply spectacular! Out on a terrace with a view to the Panama Canal as the sun sets and sangrias to accompany....awesome!!

1  Thank Sofiavgv
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Trying to find a restaurant in this part of Panamá is an art in itself. I ordered a burger and the wife ordered chicken wings. The hamburger was tough and had no flavor. The chicken wings were fried in the same oil as the fish and tasted like it. Service was typical. They had wifi which helped pass the time waiting for our waiter.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We have visited the place several times in the past, as it is conveniently located near to our house (City of Knowledge); I had a business lunch there about 15 days ago, and the food did not taste nor did it look any close to what we used to have; I felt there was a decrease in the quality of the food at the restaurant; last Nov. 17th my wife and I were invited for dinner by a couple of friends who were staying at the nearby Holyday Inn; we ordered 3 corvina plates, a favorite and well appreciated fish from Panama; we got something far from what we expected; was it basa, the Vietnamese fish ? Tilapia? Shark? We don't know what the heck it was, but whatever it was, the person who made the shopping had the malicious intention to rip off his clients with a faked corvina; It was a disgusting fatty fishy meat, with an earthy off-flavor, totally different from what we are used to in Panama. The accompanying vegetables were poorly and insufficiently cooked; it seemed as if cooked by anyone but an experienced and honest cook; the vegetables were cold, tasteless, and poorly and carelessly presented. Whatever happened to the reasonably good food they used to serve? New management? New owner? Anyone looking to earn an easy buck from unaware customers? All of the above? In any case, whatever they served us, it was distasteful; we left the place feeling quite disappointed and abused. What a shame!!

Reviewed December 23, 2011

This restaurant is in the Ciudad Del Saber in Panama City, Republic of Panama, NOT in New York City.
I have been to this restaurant twice, and both times, the food took a long time to come (40 minutes on the last visit) and was very ordinary when it did arrive. On my last visit, when my seafood paella finally made it to the table, it was dry and tasteless. The shrimp were downright scary. But I can live with bad food - my beef is with the drinks. We were provided with drinks when we first sat down, and we were not asked again, even though we sat with empty glasses for the next 50 minutes or so. One would think that if a restaurant wants to make a good impression, it would make sure it's customers always have a drink! If you must go, sit outside as it is very noisy and smoky inside.
As with many restaurants in Panama, there were a lot of staff doing nothing and one staff member doing everything. This restaurant has been open for a year. It's teething issues should be over. Do yourselves a favour, and try somewhere else. Anywhere else.