“Lovely dining experience” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Las Clementinas Cafe & Bar

Las Clementinas Cafe & Bar
Ranked #19 of 963 Restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: Latin, Central American
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Description: Las Clementinas Cafe and Bar is an iconic restaurant in Casco Viejo. While the ambiance is distinctively Old Panama, our menu might be described as contemporary Panamanian comfort food. Our highest culinary priority is to use the best local, traditional ingredients we can find while exploring the medley of cultures that have made Panama one of the great cross roads of the world.
Bath, United Kingdom
“Lovely dining experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We ordered ceviche which was out of this word. So exquisite that we nearly ordered another one. I had the corvina with basmati rice which was simple and fresh, The fish was cooked perfectly. My husband had the corvina with puy lentils and again it was delicious. We husband ordered a tres leche and said it was good but on the small side. We ordered a lovely bottle of prosecco. The interior was nicely done, staff attentive and a wonderful ambiance to the restaurant with a man playing the piano. Shame we couldn't eat in the garden room but it was raining...

1 Thank Candelabrum
ConservatorioHotelsP, General Manager at Las Clementinas Cafe & Bar, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you so much for writing about your experience at our restaurant! We're very happy to hear you and your husband enjoyed the food, service and ambiance. It's definitely reviews likes yours that keep our staff smiling!

Dallas, Texas
“Great staff, delicious menu, Awesome Jazz!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

My girlfriend and I had one night in PTY as we wrapped up two weeks traveling. The cab driver on the way to our hotel in the Casco pointed out the restaurant and told us it was very popular. We showed up about 9 without a reservation and got seated right away. The menu is the perfect size so it offers some variety but can also be perfectly executed by the kitchen. We ordered the Shrimp and Corn Fritters app and the Pork Chop entree and the Corvina with Quinoa Salad. Everything was perfectly prepared and the gooseberries with the pork chop were awesome! Just as we started dining a jazz trio set up and played a great set which was a huge treat because my gf is totally into jazz and she really appreciated the music! I have eaten at several nice restaurants in the Casco over the last few years traveling in Panama and this place is the best so far.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank StevieD68
ConservatorioHotelsP, General Manager at Las Clementinas Cafe & Bar, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Hello and thank you for writing about your dinner with us! I remember you and your girlfriend rather well, as I remember your telling me about the cab driver bringing you to us -- a nice surprise! We are thrilled you enjoyed the food (the pork chop is definitely one of my guilty pleasures) and jazz. We hope you find your way back to us for another dinner.
valwig
“very good food in nice and cozy garden”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

On August 10th I wanted to take my partner to Las Clementinas to celebrate his birthday.
I booked a table for the evening and told the very nice lady who took the reservation that it was to celebrate my partners' birthday and if they could do something special with the dessert. She said that the restaurant always does that and that she would take care of it. We arrived and ordered champagne to start the birthday celebration. We waited for more than 20 minutes and then the starters were served and we had not even seen the champagne. We asked the waiter to speak to the manager and he explained us why we had to wait so long (they had to fetch more bottles from somewhere else) and apologized to us.
The starters and the main course were delicious and the clementinas burger was one of the best burgers I had in my life.
After the main course I waited for the birthday dessert surprise but it never came and am happy my partner did not know anything about my failed attempt to surprise him.
When I asked to pay i saw that the manager had taken our after dinner drinks off the bill, and I thought this was very correct of him.
All in all, the food was very good but was disappointed that they did not take care of the birthday surprise dessert....

1 Thank delauny
ConservatorioHotelsP, General Manager at Las Clementinas Cafe & Bar, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Hello, and thank you for writing. I am the lady you spoke with early in the day when you arrived to make your reservation for that evening. While I'm happy that your food was to your liking, I could not be more unhappy that your special day was marred. I gave specific instructions as to your dessert (the chocolate fondant you had requested) to the kitchen and to the floor manager on duty that evening, as well as the supervisor of waitstaff. I will be following up today to find out exactly what happened, as this sort of thing irritates me no end. Please accept my most sincere apologies on behalf of the restaurant, and appreciate your kind review of the food and ambiance.
Sao Paulo, SP
“Charming Restaurant in Casco Viejo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

On a quick weekend trip to Panama City, we found this place and fell in love with the menu. We tried to go to this restaurant on a Friday evening, but unfortunately it was all booked up (Tip #1 - Make reservations). We went the next day around 1pm, and were slightly disappointed they only offered the brunch menu. If you are in the mood for brunch, their menu is a good option. Its $29 fixed price (which includes two mimosas or bloody mary's, coffee, tea, an appetizer, entree and dessert). Depending on where you are from, that might seem like a good deal - but for Panama its on the higher end. The ambiance was great - very charming feel, romantic and while we were there they had live music playing.For an appetizer I got the plantanos with brie, which I very much enjoyed (I like that they took a central american food and paired it with something unexpected and new). I was less enamored with my entree (the beans / egg / sofrito dish) and the chocolate mousse dessert was passable. The service was great - and I was very happy that the waiter knew the menu and could speak to which items might have flour in them. The only thing that keeps me from giving this place five stars is that I didn't love my entree - but the next time I plan to be in Panama - have no doubts I will make a reservation to enjoy dinner there and would recommend to anyone I know.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
ConservatorioHotelsP, General Manager at Las Clementinas Cafe & Bar, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you so much for writing your comprehensive review. We are happy that you enjoyed your brunch experience with us, although disappointed that your entree was not to your liking. This was our first Saturday using the brunch menu. We certainly do hope that next time you are in town you can stop by and try the a la carte menu!
Portland, Oregon
“Meh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

Who are you people giving this restaurant great reviews?? It's so mediocre! Seriously, the reviewers are all people who probably dine at Outback Steakhouse and think it's "good". If you're a foodie, this place is a "meh" at best. I can get vegetarian ravioli at home any time. Give me some good Panamanian food! You know, the stuff your grandma makes.

1 Thank sf4252
ConservatorioHotelsP, General Manager at Las Clementinas Cafe & Bar, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write; it presents a is good opportunity to explain a bit about our culinary philosophy. Las Clementinas is helmed by local chefs and is intended to be, first and foremost, a restaurant where locals love to go for a special night out. Our highest culinary priority is to use the best local ingredients in a way that reminds us of, but does not necessarily parrot, the things that our grandmothers cooked (the feta cheese in your ravioli, for instance, is a testament to the large Greek population in Panama). We think that most of our visiting diners find this to be a more authentic approach than to try to invent something called "Panamanian Cuisine" just for them. Our belief is that, while Panama does have a number of wonderful traditional dishes, it does not have an orthodox cuisine as such, because, like the United States, Panama is a young country and a melting pot, which has resulted in highly eclectic tastes and influences. In a few hundred more years all this eclecticism may have crystallized into a national cuisine as distinct as Mexico's or Peru's, but for now we are just enjoying the journey of exploring our local ingredients and influences.