“Great old city location”
Review of Casa Antigua

Casa Antigua
Ranked #8 of 79 Panama City B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Wanted to stay in Casco Viejo for one night. It can be pricey but found Casa Antigua after much research. It is not a hotel or B&B. They are apartments. We had 2 couples and we were supposed to get 1 apartment with 2 bedrooms and 2 baths. Instead we got 2 separate apartments. It was not an issue. If we had kids it definitely would have been one. There is a very busy restaurant on the ground floor, great for drinks and if you don't want anything fancy. The location was perfect and felt safe with the presidents offices located across the street so lots of security. We walked all around Casco Viejo and yes there are delapidated buildings but you can see that change is coming. There are a lot of renovations happening everywhere. Casa Antigua is not for the person who needs all the amenities of a hotel. This is just a place to put your stuff and lay your head. No lobby no front desk. Keep this in mind if you think you cannot do without. The price was great when compared to other places to stay in Viejo.

• Stayed: January 2012

Reviewed February 18, 2012

At Casa Antigua we had a great experience from the moment we stepped in. Our host was friendly, helpful and welcoming with maps and directions and suggestions for breakfast. He was there exactly when we needed help and then left us to it. The private rooftop terrace had an all-encompassing view of the city from Casco Viejo.

The suite was very well equipped with a kitchen and spacious dining/living area. The location is prime, and the place was quiet and clean. We also appreciated getting an upgrade since the hotel wasn't terribly busy when we went. Would highly recommend it.

We also arranged a ride to the airport through the hotel and everything went smoothly.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed the one with the rooftop terrace although there are also rooms with private balcon...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jen C
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Casa Antigua is yet another gem in this constantly changing area of the city. You won't go wrong booking a stay here - have stayed twice and have no concerns (except the restaurant for breakfast on the main level was no longer open at that time of day - excellent at night though!)
The owners are approachable, helpful and a lot of fun to chat with as they juggle the many jobs that they do! The rooms are great for short or long term stay with all the amenities needed (maybe a bar of soap in the shower would be great :o) - nicely appointed with some spots having awesome views over Casco Viejo!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank livethedream_8
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I stayed at Casa Antigua between January 5th and January 8th, 2012.

While the house is extremely well located in Casco Viejo, and the apartment I stayed in for 2 nights was well-appointed, clean and with a beautiful view from the balcony,
there were serious problems with the customer service.

Through Casa Antigua, I had booked a driver to pick me up from the airport on the evening of the 5th and confirmed everything with him directly via email. Not only the driver didn't wait for me, but he picked up other clients instead.
I had then to negotiate a fare with a taxi driver at the airport, in my extremely limited Spanish.

When I arrived at Casa Antigua, the manager told me there was a mistake, and that my apartment had just been given to two other customers staying for one night. I really don't understand how such a mistake could have been made, when I'm travelling alone, am staying for three nights, and have a very distinctive name that's difficult to confuse with anybody else's name.
I was given another apartment, one on two floors but with no windows,
that I had to vacate early the next morning, as I was going on a day tour.

Thankfully, when I was finally able to settle in the apartment I booked initially, there were no problems. I did find it was a bit odd that no one had asked me for my I.D. or for my credit card info, but I thought that wouldn't cause any concerns later.

During my stay, I reminded the manager that I need a driver to take me to the airport on January 8th at 7.15 am. He said he would reconfirm everything with him.

On the 8th, again the driver didn't show up and I had to negotiate a fare with a taxi driver, and most probably got overcharged.
Not only that, there was no one in the building to proceed with the check-out (take the apartment keys, help me with my luggage, request the payment or even thank me for my stay), even if I had advised management of my early departure. I really felt bad for leaving like that.

On the evening of the 8th, I received a PayPal payment request from the manager.
To request payment after a guest has left the country is a very strange practice, in my opinion.
What guarantees are there that the guest will pay?

The manager offered me a discount because of all the problems I had, which is a nice gesture. He mentioned he took note of the comments I made regarding the absence of a proper check-in and check-out procedure. He also mentioned that Casa Antigua isn't working with that problematic driver anymore.

Hopefully changes will be implemented to the customer service, as Casa Antigua is a great property.

Room Tip: Request a studio apartment with a balcony, since the view is nice and there are proper windows (as l...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank KanDianYing
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Affordable luxury and perfect location, full-size well equipped kitchen in a spacious, chic loft, two short blocks from the central plaza, bars and bistros. Pablo was a very friendly and attentive host. Open the louvred French doors to feel the romance of the old city, and drink in the stunning view of the new city across the bay from your own private balcony with ornate wrought iron railings and potted flowers. Many self-catering places go cheap on the utensils, table and cookware, but not here! Great towels, wonderful mattress, lots of hot water and water pressure. Cannot recommend it too highly! And don't miss the pizza in the bistro downstairs...

Room Tip: I stayed in Chagres, loved it.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Mark V
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Advance research was accurate. An excellent, comfortable place full of character & style with a very helpful & efficient manager. Chagres apartment has wonderful balcony view of new Panama skyscrapers on one side and the ancient crumbling Casco Viejo on the other, complete with circling vultures contesting perches with swooping pelicans to add spice. Area can be a bit noisy due it's overlooking an entrance road to the Old Town but the street sounds are muffled by the splendid A/C and probably won't keep you awake unless you are a very light sleeper. And the location is definitely worth it. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Chagres Apartment has the biggest balcony
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dmulli1
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Stumbled upon this place by accident after finding out that the hostel next door was jampacked. What a neat treat!! We had lunch at their restaurant downstairs when someone mentioned that they do have suites upstairs to rent. We thought -- why not? Casco viejo is an amazing part of panama city-- lively, full of energy and such a great ambience. You are at the edge of it (but still within walkig distance to everything) so you get a good sweeping view of everything. The suite we had was on the topmost floor and it was a studio fully equipped with a stove, fridge and so on. It was clean throughout but we never got to use the kitchen amenities cuz we only stayed a night. The best part was the spiral staircase that connected to a rooftop deck that allowed you a 360 dgree view of the skyscrapers of panama city as well as all of casco viejo. It was a blast! You will def enjoy this place and their manager, pablo, is the kindest most accommodating person youll meet. Dont forget to try out their restaurant Ay! Karmela. Greatttt seafood platter!

• Stayed: October 2011