“The place to stay when in Panama City”

Las Clementinas Hotel
Ranked #34 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I just returned from a 4day trip to Panama over the Thanksgiving weekend in November of 2012. I stayed at the Las clementinas. I must say, this is a very nice boutique hotel at the entrance to the Old Town (Casco Viejo). You won't haveto worry about safety and security because there's a big police complex just across the street from the hotel, practically less than a stone's throw away. The rooms are spacious and very nicely decorated. By the time we left, we knew some of the friedly staff by name. Maria, Carolina, Miguel and Marvin are extremely helpful with anything you need. I also stayed at their sister hotel closer to the cathedral, called Canal House. This place, too, is fabulous. It has the charm of a remodeled, private residence.
You feel totally at home. The breakfast is served "family style" at a community table. Olga, Tires and Agustina are a great team, always eager to make you feel at home. Agustina is a trained singer. She will sing for you while you are enjoying your breakfast.
Both places are a bit pricey. Basically what you are used to pay at any a five star boutique hotel
in other parts of the world. If there is one thing I would critique, it's that you have to pay for the local, bottled water. I understand that one hasto pay for Perrier and San Pellegrino, but local spring water in plastic bottles should be made available at no charge in a hotel charging approx. $ 300.00/night. In a country where the tourist feels a bit nervous about the water from the tap, it would be considered a nice gesture to offer free water. I was just in India a month ago. In the pricier hotels bottled water is usually available free of charge. I consider this a "Best Practice" approach that Las Clementinas and the Canal House might want to adopt. It would generate a lot of goodwill among the guests.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank BHSCalifornia
ConservatorioHotelsP, General Manager at Las Clementinas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Las Clementinas, and your kind words about regarding our property and our staff. We are genuinely pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We do provide Volvic mineral water in our mini-bars at a charge. We certainly see your suggestion as a good thing, and will look into providing local bottled water to our guests. Volvic, alas, is not local and is a premium brand so we have to charge for that, but can and will look into the possibility of providing locally bottled water free of charge. We certainly do endeavor to promote goodwill with our guests!

There are newer reviews for Las Clementinas Hotel

Reviewed November 12, 2012

What a delight! This is a very beatiful and interesting hotel in Casco Viejo, which is under perpetual construction and redevelopment - yet still completely enjoyable. Our room (#6) was gorgeously appointed and well decorated. It was also HUGE with wrap around balconies, which is a plus. Service is excellent and the restaurnat is arguably the best in town. Go and enjoy, this is where you want to stay. Miguel and Maria were amazing hosts and will arrange for whatever you need.

Room Tip: Go on the higher floors, but remember - there is NO ELEVATOR! It's all "walk-up" styl...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
ConservatorioHotelsP, General Manager at Las Clementinas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

Thank you so much for your incredibly kind review. We couldn't be more thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and the hospitality of our staff. We really do try to go above and beyond the expected with our guests.

We hope you return soon!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have been at Las Clementinas and it was a marvelous stay.
Everything was fantastic, the rooms, the services , the owners.

Its located at Casco Antiguo close to Malls and differents restaurantas at Panama City,

Dont forget to visit and stay at Las Clementinas.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank JohnShummer
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My family and I had a marvelous stay at Las Clementinas from July 20th to the 22nd. We stayed in Apt. #2 (having had to move from the squalor of another apartment hotel nearby).

From the moment I stepped into Las Clementinas on the morning of July 20th at 7 am, the service was amazing. We were warned that there would be a noisy function taking place that very evening as Jon B. below stated and it was quite noisy. However, the next morning, Robert the manager greeted us and apologized most profusely. We accepted his apology and he offered to comp us a Sunday Brunch. We were unfortunately already scheduled for a tour. In lieu, of the brunch, Robert sent up a bottle of champagne.

Special mention should be made of the wonderful service provided by Miguel, Jose and Martin. We have never experienced such service in our past travels and we will be sure to come back and visit again.

They made our trip to Panama a most memorable one!

Room Tip: Apt. #2 is a wonderfully spacious room. However, it can be noisy from the street below.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Lily L
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Las Clementinas in Chamber 4 between July 20-24. This grand old mansion is steeped in history and offers one the feeling of being invited to stay in another time. The attention that the owners who rescued this wonderful property from a century of neglect have put into restoring it shows everywhere you look and in the most minute details. Floor and wall tiles that had been handmade in the nineteenth century have been artfully brought back to their vibrant original colors. Architectural details everywhere show exquisite detail.

The staff and management were kind and eager to make our stay feel like we were their most important guests ever. If I had a question about anything in the neighborhood, Miguel at the front desk would drop everything to give directions and advice. Julie spent over an hour calling around to various helicopter operators to find us the best price for a tour of the Canal and make our reservation. The hotel maintains a friendly driver named Jose to take guests all over Casco Viejo on a comfortable electric golf cart to shop or find an ATM whenever one might need it. One night when my wife didn't feel like going out for dinner or ordering room service, Miguel cheerfully called for us for take out Pizza and Jose picked it up for us. Whenever we thanked any of the staff, their response was always "a la orden" (at your service).

We had one minor complaint over a noisy neighborhood party that was completely beyond the hotel's control. When I mentioned it to the manager, Robert, by email, I was contacted within a couple of hours by the hotel's owner and manager both who graciously comped us a four course Sunday morning brunch at the hotel's fantastic restaurant.

We will return to Las Clementinas whenever we are in Panama. I would go out of my way to visit the country, in fact, just to stay at Las Clementinas.

Room Tip: Chambers 4 and 6 have the largest balconies with the best views.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jon B
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed three seperate times on our recent trip to Panama City, Panama. The rooms are actually mini apartments with a bedroom, bathroom, living room, dining room, and kitchen. Very comfortable with good air conditioning, a good shower, perfect internet, a nice comfortable bed, and nice comfortable furniture. Hey, whats not to like. The folks at the front desk were very helpful. Nice people. They stored my snorkel equipment for a week while I went off to Peru. They stored some of my Peru souveniours while I went off to the Coral Lodge. There is a restaurant onsite. My wife and I ate dinner there one night and the food was good. We had breakfast there every morning and it was good. The area has some construction going on but that was okay. All in all three great stays. No reason not to reccommend. Enjoy. Richard Garcia.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank nohassle1956
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I don't have much to add beyond all the raves already posted. My daughter and I stayed six nights. High ceilings, beautiful tropical hardwood floors, original tiles in the bathrooms. It's got all the modern amenities (microwave, plasma TV, wireless) but also very nice touches like coffee table books in each suite, original old drawings and maps of Panama. I loved hearing the street sounds from our 3rd floor suite. Staff was, with few exceptions, very warm. Food is first rate.

Room Tip: No elevator but it is only a small inconvenience. Suite No. 4 is really large with three separate ba...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business