“Good hotel - poor location”
Review of The Panams

The Panams
Ranked #70 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The hotel is a good hotel for the price range. The location would be good in a safer city, but I felt unsafe in the area.
The InterContinental is better located. If I was prepared to spend quite a bit more then I would have chosen this location. Even though the hotel is just a few streets away from the good area, I did not feel safe enough to walk there. I used a taxi the one time I walked there in order to get back to the hotel.
The hotel public areas was clean and breakfast was adequate. The room itself however was not clean. The carpet under the coffee table was quite dirty. The shower was grimy and we had to wash it the first time we used it.
No restaurant onsite for lunch and dinner although they offered to get us some food delivered. I ordered a pizza the first night as we were too tired to go out to find a restaurant the first night we arrived due to a long flight. However, I wouldn't have chanced walking to a restaurant anyway.

The tap in the bathroom sink is located too close to the basin. This makes washing very difficult as you can hardly get your hand under the tap.

Overall, the fixtures and fittings are classy for Panama and the do serve free wine and coffee in the lobby which is a plus. However for me, I wouldn't book the hotel again unless the price was really too good to refuse.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kanhai

Reviewed May 23, 2014

We stayed at all the top hotels in the city when I travel for business but this time, we wanted to try something different and we got it right.

It is very small so must come here with an open mind that it doesn't have 1000 staff around but the decor, the size of the rooms and quality of the shower (it is a cascade in there) and price is very very worth to try out.

Fair breakfast and quick service for anything. Ask for ice, done. Iron my shirt, 5 minutes and it's back. For those who have been around know the value of the little things...

The location is 5 minutes from the office which is near the Multiplaza and a couple blocks from the Balboa Blvd. where one could run.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street could have a lot of noise but they have the silence windows installed so...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Rodrigo O
Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

Hidden gem found on booking.com that was amazing! Warm welcome with free espresso or wine and the front desk booked all restaurants and site seeing for us. Breakfast was nothing special but filled us up. Great soaking bath with beautiful modern hotel decor. Easy transport via taxi to most sites. Walking distance to walkway on the water. Would definitely stay again!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rhabib13
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

We moved in after a dreadful stay at another boutique hotel and were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are huge, the staff extremely helpful and the location is practical to go to casco vieho. In case you need advice the staff will help you through Panama City ( places to go , how much to pay cabs ...)

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I did a reservation in this hotel for 1 night using a major booking website. The reservation was confirmed by email.
We arrived from France (with my wife who is pregnant) at the hotel around 7pm after a long flight. I presented the voucher to the receptionist. He invited us to wait a little but without proposing any refreshment. After 20 minutes without any news, I asked to the receptionist what's happening. he said us that we had to wait 20 minutes extra to have a room. I complained by explaining that we were very tired especially my wife and I asked to speak to the manager. The receptionist dissapeared during 20 minutes. When he came back, he informed us that finally the hotel had no room for us despite the reservation and it was not possible to speak with the manager. After getting angry, the receptionist finally proposed only to find a room for us in another hotel at the same price (90$). the hotel doesn't propose any compensation.
When we arrived at the other hotel 20 min later after driving in panama city by night, the hotel informed us that the price of the room was finally 50$ extra. We needed to negociate to decrease the price.
I wrote to the booking website to report the problem but until now I have only received apologies and the booking website hasn't published my opinion on this hotel (I don't know why).
In conclusion, I advise you to avoid this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Axel825
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We reserved two rooms for four nights. I had been in communication with the hotel to arrange our pickup from the airport. I confirmed in English and again in Spanish that we would be picked up. We searched and wasted 35 minutes at the airport looking for our ride. We gave up and took a taxi for cheaper than we would've been charged by the hotel anyway. The first room we were put in had a running toilet and broken door lock plate. We asked to be moved and that room had a better door lock, but we had constant problems with the toilet. It wouldn't flush unless we held the handle down for 20 plus seconds. When that stopped working, we would lift the lid on the tank in order for it to flush. Handle came off the hot water nob when attempting to fill the tub. Carpet was really dirty in the sitting area. The room my mom stayed in had toilet issues as well.The staff were nice enough. Rooms are spacious. Daily breakfast was nice. The style of the hotel is cool but the rooms would benefit from some maintenance.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle R
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Very good hotel with nice and helpful staff. It was my birthday and they got us, without asking, a good bottle of champagne, how nice of them. The rooms are big and good isolated, so the busy street in front of this hotel won't bother you that much. There were some roadworks around the corner, so maybe it's less busy when this is done. This busy street is the only poor thing I can think of.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends