“An enjoyable stay in Panama”

DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City
Ranked #28 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I believe that we made the correct choice in choosing the DoubleTree Hotel. The stay was excellent because of the good staff and the enjoyable breakfast. We believe we had value for money. Even the Taxi service was good.

2  Thank Desmond S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,444)

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Was here a couple of years ago, and things are still very, very good. My room (5th floor) had an excellent view, everything was working just as expected. WiFi was just fine, breakfast really good; the restaurant offers a buffet lunch, it was OK and not pricey (15 $), the service perfect - with a smile.
Great

Room Tip: Room on 5th or 6th floor are quieter and with a great view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I booked in for 2 days to check this out and intended moving to cheaper "digs" . I was so happy I ended up staying ther my entire stay. Very clean central and staff friendly . The hotel id idealy located fronting Via Espania and close to metro station . Facing towards the Eglesia Del Carmen it is an area which is improving ,for example once all the paving is complete most places can be reached on foot. You could walk to Costa Azul a genuine Panamanian café, jimmys for a good steal or Corvna grilled or fried which is excellent. You also have the Golen Arches ( Mc Donalds ) afew minutes walk away . I tried the smoke house just opposite the hotel but found service slow and food just mediocre . A big attraction for a hotel in city center is the roof top pool with fairly good space to relax and enjoy the sun. Waiter service is slow and there are only 2 elevators in hotel . As a person who knows Panama fairly well ,I LIKED THIS HOTEL AND INTEND TO STAY THERE AGAIN for 10 days whilst on business.

Room Tip: Get one on the side or at rear of hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank DON D
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I was on a business trip and I could not access the Internet anywhere in the hotel. Therefore, no e-mail access! Fix the Internet!! Other than the terrible Internet signal the hotel location is very good, the staff very friendly, the food is good and overall a very good value.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 8, 2014

This is the second time we stay in this hotel in Panama city. we love this hotel, it is clean, the staff are very helpful, there is a underground parking is very useful. the breakfast is good, the staff is excellent. this hotel is located in the center of Panama city and next to the new Metro link.

Reviewed June 7, 2014

I spent the last night of my 9 day Panama vacation at the DoubleTree on Via Espana. When I arrived they upgraded my room to a suite and had chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of wine waiting on me for my anniversary. The room was decent, clean and relatively spacious. we had a corner room on the 3rd floor and it faced Via Espana. Try to get something in the interior to avoid the traffic and construction noise. This was a negative. I had a few other frustrations: I had to take a cold shower (not even luke warm), when I went to take my shower there were no washcloths and I had to wait 20 mins for someone to bring them only to have them not bring the correct size towel after I had specified 2x on the phone. So another 15 min wait to take my cold shower. We relied on the front desk for directions to Albrook airport by car, to nearby restaurants, and a grocery store. Each time they gave terrible directions and we got lost. This was particularly frustrating when driving to the airport because we waited 30+ mins trying to get to the aiport and return our rental car! No Bueno!! We received free breakfast te next morning but it was lackluster and relatively cold. Overall this stay was subpar and I'm glad I opted to stay at the Waldorf Astoria on Calle 47/Uraguay the first 5 days of my stay before heading to the beach. We were treated like ROYALTY in the other two hotels. If you're traveling for business I suppose this hotel would do, but not for an extended vacation.

Room Tip: Stay on the interior facing opposite Via Espana
1  Thank AB627
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Nothing wrong with the room or location.

The service is horrible, the staff untrained and the restaurant and bar, usually a money maker for hotels, was only staffed with one person who was the bar tender, waitress and server. Went to dinner in the restaurant at 7:30; which is hardly rush hour in Latin America. There was only two other tables occupied. I ordered the fish. The waitress / bartender disappeared after 30 min and after an hour I went to the front desk to ask what for some help. They checked the kitchen and reported that my fish was frozen; but don't worry, they offered me some soup. I left and walked three blocks to Subway. When I returned, I asked for the manager who was not there. They offered to have the manager call em in the morning. I requested 8:00. Never called. Next evening, I went to take a shower and there is no hot water. I called the front desk and they offered to send someone up to look into it. No one ever came.

The Marriott is one block away. Stay there. You can get a hot shower, a meal, and staff that actually care.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank TenGallonTex
WolfAlexandrovich, General Manager at DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear TenGallonTex,

Thanks for taking the time to comment on your stay at our hotel. I'm sorry we didn’t provide the high quality services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff.

Due to the emergency procedures required by the Government to save energy to avoid the impending energy crisis affecting the country, we have to turn on the power plant everyday so that our guests can enjoy air-conditioning in their rooms and the rest ot the hotel. During the power relay from the outside energy source to our power plant, the breakers controlling the circuit board running the water heaters in the 2nd floor went off and unfortunately we noticed this only when you called the Front Desk. Gladly, it was easily fixed and you were able to enjoy hot water the next morning.

Thanks again for your review and we hope you stay with us the next time you return to Panama City.

Wolf Alexandrovich