“Nice Hotel But Terrible Internet and AC” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City

DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City
Ranked #32 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Highland, Maryland
“Nice Hotel But Terrible Internet and AC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Hotel is typical DoubleTree. Ample rooms and bathrooms, free and good breakfast and good room service. However a few things still annoy me. AC is very noisy and the uncarpeted rooms makes it even worse. Mechanical problems like noisy drains are unforgivable in an international brand hotel. But my main complaint is the awfull Internet connection. I was here for four days, with a heavy workload, and I could not complete a single skype call. Since my last stay, staff issues appear resolved. Everyone was very professional.

1 Thank MonGourmet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Nice hotel located on the corner of Via Federico Boyd and Via Espana with great views along Via Espana. Unfortunately the Panama City underground is being built right now and there is the constant noise of the heavy machinery starting at the early hours. It will be excellent once the metro system us working and will be ideally located to get everywhere in Panama City.

I had the executive suite which had a separate dining/lounge, bathroom and bedroom. The location was unfortunately facing the metro works but the room was excellent, clean and very spacious. The A/C in the hotel was always on a low temperature but this was a respite from the city heat once you entered the hotel. Breakfast was amazing. An American style buffet but with European/Continental food, which made the breakfast very nice every morning. There were also local delicacies at breakfast which made it even more delicious.

The location of the hotel is further away from the beach front promenade but this was ideal as it allowed us to experience the real Panama City. There are a few local restaurants in the area that are good and not at inflated prices!

Overall a great location, nice hotel, delicious breakfasts and ideal when the subway is completed.

Room Tip: Until the metro is completed, get a room facing away from Via Espana and Via Federico Boyd
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J0JP
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Dear Wolf,

CONGRATULATIONS! I had a wonderful stay at the Doubletree, Panama.

The staff was EXCELLENT and VERY attentive to my needs.

Special mention to:
-- Constantino and Rogelio at the front desk. They made sure that the bag that Copa lost was returned to me at the hotel. They were very attentive to my other needs as well in a very friendly and personal manner..
-- Christoper, Raul, and Victor, bellboys who looked after my every need with a wonderful and friendly spirit, especially in helping me get my car battery recharged during an aguasero. These are the kind of things one does not learn in a bellboy class, but in actual situations. They took the initiative and completed the task! They all get "10"'s!
-- Jasmine and Dayisha (spelling??), operators at the switchboard who were very helpful contacting Copa and for other things they did for me.

In short, you have a wonderful staff. I cannot give them more praise! They are very attentive to the needs of the hotel guests and fulfill them in a very joyful manner. It is great to be greeted by name with a smile every time you enter the hotel ! Please thank them on my behalf.

Gratefully,

Jim Overend
Los Angeles, California

2 Thank Ralph J O
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

So I go to Panama twich a year for business and always try new hotels as the market is so saturated. This Doubletree was $99 USD including breakfast and WiFi. Cheapest in the world I reckon. Standard and clean as far as hotels go, but for a Doubletree I'll rate it slightly below average. Great location and price. The breakfast is not good.

2 Thank KGMiami
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Unfortunately our stay in this hotel was really disappointing. The rooms and pool are nice. However, for the 3 days of our stay we had no hot water in the room, when we asked about this they said that there were water problems in that area of the hotel at that time and they offered to change our room (by this time we only had 1 night left so didn't bother). I don't understand why we were put in this area of the hotel if they knew they were having problems! The restaurant in the hotel serves very mediocre food and the staff are very unhelpful and unfriendly (apart from George at reception who can give good restaurant recommendations.) Do NOT use the laundry service- they lost half our clothes and when we questioned them about it, the hotel arranged to have them sent back to the hotel for the next day, despite the fact they knew we were checking out at 6am the next day- this resulted in our having to have our clothes shipped back to London. Finally, on the morning of our leaving, we had no water in our bathroom at all, I immediately went down to reception to ask them about it. It took them 40 mins for them to find us somewhere to shower which resulted in us arriving late to the airport.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ella S
WolfAlexandrovich, General Manager at DoubleTree By Hilton Panama City, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear guest: Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay. I am deeply sorry for the inconveniences you had while staying with us and apologize on behalf of the whole team. We use a third party for the laundry service and since your impasse have changed the company knowing that it is our responsibility to guarantee the quality of the service to our guests, regardless of whether we provide the service directly or not. We are implementing a new training program to improve the skills of our staff, specifically directed to improving service attentiveness. Unfortunately during your stay, there was a water shortage in the city and there were some problems with supply to our guestrooms. I invite you to visit us again in the hope that you will experience all the changes we are implementing thanks to the feedback we receive from our guests.
Houston
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

I arrived at this hotel on a Saturday night, and I was promptly "upgraded" because I am a "loyal Hilton customer". The upgraded room looked and felt more like a mid-tier beach hotel, with tile floors instead of carpet or wood, but that didn't matter much. What did matter was the nearby dance club, which was loud enough to make the walls of my room shake. Of course, I asked to be relocated to a different room, one that wasn't facing the loud disco across the street. To my surprise, I was nonchalantly informed that the noise was actually coming from the hotel's top floor, where they were hosting a party. I couldn't believe it - what kind of hotel transforms itself into a boombox during the night??? To make it worse, they said the party was scheduled to go on "until 2:00am" - and it did.

Now, not having hot water to shower the next morning was just their way to add insult to injury, I suppose.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DanielWeiHo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

So this is my 6th trip to Panama and I'm a Hilton Diamond who never had a Hilton property to stay at. The Marriott was nice, but just ok. Never got much without any status. So this trip I tried the newly remodeled Doubletree. Checked in and got recognized as a Diamond with an upgrade to a suite, free full breakfast and free Internet. Room was nice, welcome letter and fruit plate. Wifi was solid, room service mostly good. Last night they turned my Covina into jerkey but everything else was great. Ok gym, nice pool on the 7th floor. Would stay again while I wait for the Waldorf is being completed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business