“Good value for private room”
Review of Hostal Casa Areka

Hostal Casa Areka
Ranked #8 of 79 Panama City B&B and Inns
Park City, Utah
“Good value for private room”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I stayed for one night with one friend and thought Casa Areka was exactly what we needed. Initially, the staff was not very helpful (though to her credit, my Spanish is very bad), but when the owner arrived later, we enjoyed chatting with him. The facility and room were reasonably clean, and perks included functioning air conditioning, free wifi, and cable tv in our room. I was able to get a great night of sleep. With a location very near the freeway entrances, you can get to Casco Viejo in a cab for $3 or to the airport for $20.

The hot water in the bathroom kind of went in and out but other than that, no complaints really. We left at 6am, so I don't know about the breakfast situation. Based on the previous TripAdvisor reviews, I expected a grungy no frills cheap hotel experience (we ended up there on short notice, because our other choices were full), but it turned out to work out great.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night and that was 1 too many. The room and place in general was dirty and definitely not appealing. No breakfast was offered although clearly stated on their breakfast and no discount on what is poor value at $40 a night. I have no hesitation in not recommending this place.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank 1superreviewer
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I unfortunately found this “hotel” online and booked a nights stay (luckily only one!). I stay in a lot of hostels and hotels but this place is the worst I have ever seen. On arrival it seemed quite nice but don't be fooled by the reasonably well kept reception area. On check in the owner asked for full payment and only when I enquired where the (included) breakfast was served did he mumble that he wasn't “doing” breakfast at the moment - but the price is the same. Right.
After climbing the stairs and nearly breaking my neck on the bags of trash that adorn the hallway I found my double room. Basic is an understatement - it was literally 2 single beds pushed together with some grotty old sheets draped over them. I then went to check out the shared bathroom and was horrified! The place is crawling with mosquitoes, is filthy, the door doesn't lock (lock broken) and the water - ice cold. The bin that holds used toilet paper was overflowing and not changed in the 24 hours I was here and there was also no toilet paper here for the entire duration of my stay. Worth the money? You could not pay me to return to this hole. I wouldn't even let a dog stay here. Disgusting. It should not even be operating.

• Stayed February 2012