“Best Reasonably priced Vegetarian Food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Sabores de La India
Ranked #211 of 963 Restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Tel.: 391-9151 Payment methods: Cash Hours: Every day from 12:00 p.m. 10:30 p.m.
Tampa, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Reasonably priced Vegetarian Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

Oh boy! When I read the reviews naming the owner, I thought he himself (Chotu) must have put in those reviews. But I am a vegetarian and did not have good luck in many restaurants that I walked into. So I tried Chotu's Restaurant. I was surprised at the way Chotu welcomed us and said that he will make the food whatever way we like it. Indian spices flavored, spicy for us and medium for our kids, very mild, if our kids want it that way. The prices were so reasonable that we ordered Five entrees for four of us with the thought that the portions must be small based on their reasonably priced menu. But we were all surprised when the dishes came in. Nice big portions - true authentic Indian flavored food. We were filled to the top trying to finish all our dishes. Our neighboring table ordered non-vegetarian and they were pleased too with the quality of food. If at all I go to Panama again, I am definitely making a visit to this place.
Chotu, keep it up. (I forgot your real name) but Love your food.
From Florida, USA

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Naresh K

San Francisco, California
“Better Indian food than I expected to find in Panama City”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

I’d be pretty happy to find this quality / price for Indian food in any US or Canadian city.

I went with three others, and we sampled a good selection of dishes.

- Vegetable samosa (Excellent, don’t miss)
- Butter chicken (House specialty; pretty yummy; not hot/spicy so popular with diners unfamiliar with Indian cuisine)
- Pav Bhaji (very good and spicy and nice to see on the menu)
- Mutton curry (good)
- Aloo gobi (good)
- Palak paneer (a little to bland for my taste)
- Of the three breads, the naan and the roti were both good; I’d skip the paratha next time.
- The salt lassi was made with a healthy dose of black salt. (When she took the order, the astute server gave my husband the “are you sure?” look. In this case, he was and enjoyed his salt lassi very much.)

Some reviewers have criticized the ambience and the service. However, we had no complaints on either account the night we dined at the restaurant.

We dined outside on a dry December evening and although not fancy, found the ambience very pleasant.

We had no big complaints about the service. It was prompt and mostly everything appeared on first pass and what didn’t was brought when she was reminded. When we tried asking for “pickle” or “encurtidos”, we got a blank look but our server returned with the English-speaking owner who translated “pickle” into Hindi. We enjoyed a portion of tasty achaar with our dinner.

• Visited December 2013
Panama City, Panama
“tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

I go there almost weekly. Its one of the very few indian restaurants in Panama. I love it.

PROS: Did I mentioned one of the few indian restaurants in the city? service is fast, a lot of variety in the dishes. Many vegetarian options. They can adjust the spiciness if you ask for.

CONS: since most of the place is on a terrace outdoors, (no air con) and informal, it could be too hot for a formal lunch or dinner or a date. Waiters can be clumsy, sometimes I know more about the dishes than them. Indoors, I just dont like it. Its a bit small and next to the tv.

General views: I love the place; their butter chicken is addictive, and Ive tried nothing similar anywhere else (Ive spend some months in India). On another note: some people give it a bad review and then compare it to asian restaurants in England or the US. Please!!! Its simply unfair to compare this little place with some of the top rated places in the world. So, if you feel like eating indian food in Panama, and don't care about luxury, or a waiter that gets confused, give it a try, is worth it. If you can only have "the best of the best", grab a plane and go to Rasika in Washington or whatever reaches your high world standards...and miss this little gem in PTY.

Try.Butter.Chicken. (but ask them to chop it on smaller sizes).

1 Thank gabbs74
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
“Indian Food at economical rates”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

- The boards were not very prominent to locate the restaurant but after couple of attempts found it.
- Parking is available both on the front side and back
- We tried the potato stuffed parathas with paneer butter, and was good.. The Samosa chat was quite good too as a starter.
- The chef, Hori Lal Pal, is from Lucknow which is city known for Awadi cuisine. He brings some of it.

London, United Kingdom
“Horrible Place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

I am pretty familiar with Indian food .

This place is just horrible. The restaurant is ordinary. The waiters friendly but clumsy.

I ate a dosa, kulfi and mango lassi. all horrible. The dosa was somewhat ok but too greasy and sambhar was nasty.

too many house flies all over the restaurant.

To be avoided..