“great rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Plaza Panama

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Riu Plaza Panama
Ranked #18 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Timbuktu, Mali
“great rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 7 nights on a business trip. we choose the hotel as it was nearby our office conveniantly located in the financial district. to the old town it is a 10 minute taxi drive. professional service. the room was for european standards very large. appreciated the free and easy access to the wifi.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Vista Alegre
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Since we live in Panama a trip into the city to stay at a hotel is for a special reason and we stay at the Riu because we love it. Felipe Motta (Wine Store has it's annual wine tasting event there in October with 54 stands to do tastings.) has had the event there for the last few years so we take a mini-vacation at Riu. Hotel staff we dealt with was very friendly and accommodating. Our name was misspelled in our reservation but the desk staff person was diligent in finding it. Our room on the 24th floor was quiet and faced the bay, we could catch some views of the bay between all the high-rises that have sprung up since we moved here 8 years ago. Even though our room had two beds, it was spacious and very nicely decorated in lavender/purple without being in your face. Beds and pillows are comfy. Small touches in bathroom were two hooks to hang clothes, double sinks, both sides of sink area had electrical outlets, large bathtub with a bathmat, and nice body products. Mini-bar was stock with six sodas that were free and if you wanted anything else you could call to order and charge it to your room. Buffet breakfast included is the best and biggest we have ever had any place we've stayed. Huge area with choices of hot and cold items. Nice pool area, but we aren't pool people. and the lobby is impressive. We noticed that there are dehumidifiers in the room floor hallways that probably has taken care of the musty smelling issues. Panama's tropical climate does make this issue hard to control. One reason we would stay at another hotel is that there is a casino on site, but this time we found a nice casino a block away so the Riu will be our first choice in Panama City. We felt safe at night walking to and from the casino as this area as this is a very busy area.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on the bay side on a higher floor. I found the a/c hum annoying, but I'm v...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RubyTuesdayFundador
georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Travel date October 8-11, 2013. This is large and nice property. The first moment when I walked into the hotel, a very strong weird moldy smell hit me in the face. I believe that it is just the way panama smells, due to all of the moisture and humidity. Check in was a breeze. The Baggage men helped us to the room and unloaded the bags. once in the room we noticed that the a/c was not very good. It did seem that as the outside temp cooled so did the room. In the mornings when we woke up the room was cooler. We also had problems with the safe not working. We had to get the maintaince people to work on safe many times and were offered another room. The man who offered another room said that it would take up to 2 hours to move to the new room. So I took it upon my self to go back down to the front desk and explained what had happened. I had my new room in 5 minutes, interesting...my group and I were in panama for a wedding so we ended up with 6 rooms for the group. We all had the same issues with the rooms. My wife and I were the only ones who changed rooms.The breakfast area is very large, with lots of many different choices. Overall the front desk people are very friendly, the baggage people very helpful....overall this was a good hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
David, Panama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I love the bed and there is plenty of space in the room for my 2 kids since there's a sofa bed that as big as the queen size bed and we could even fit another cot for a baby!
The first mini bars are complimentary, that's quite extraordinary :) the bath and shower work well.
Internet is good enough through the public area but not in the room itself. The buffet breakfast is enormous with plenty of food and drink!!
I must say service here generally in Panama isn't the best service in the world (I found it a bit rude to be told of by the waitress in the breakfast session to watch my 2 years old girl not to let her play with the sugar sachet on the table! I mean, she's just a kid and she was just playing but not opening and making a mess or anything!!)
We booked a transfer to and from the airport and it work ok also. All in all, it's a great hotel for a stopover for our family.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

This is a good choice while in panama. Please keep in mind that the level of service is lower than in the USA or Europe. I suspect they think they are doing a great job and I can tell they are trying. This hotel is very nice. A wonderful lobby! Friendly front desk girl. Her English was good and her smile huge. Perfect start. The elevators are fast. Rooms are spacious. I found mine a bit on the dirty side as I like ultra clean carpet and it was a bit dingy. The breakfast buffet was large and coffee was suburb. The restaurant sushi was ok and the premium rum was really expensive. As in $32 per glass for a bottle that sells for $125. O well... We paid it. The hotel lounge is a bit slow but the hard rock is only blocks away. On my next trip the hard rock will be a good option. I've also stayed at the Trump Panama and I found it a bit higher on the luxury scale. All in all I liked the Riu and will return. Good luck and enjoy Panama! Also... Eat at Jimmy's Greek... It's wonderful!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

My wife and I recently spent 3 nights at the Riu Plaza Hotel in Panama City. This is a great place to stay. The service from all the staff was outstanding. The price was reasonable and the hotel is centrally locate. Close to many food outlets, the Hardrock casino, and a very nice mall. There is a tour bus that stops in the front of the hotel well worth taking. It gives you two options one of which will take you to the Panama Canal. Do not miss the Panama canal!!!!!!!!! It is an engineering mavel. Back to the hotel, the breakfast buffet is fabulous. The rooms are nicely decorated and roomy. If you get a high floor the view is outstanding.

Room Tip: Always ask for a high floor and a upgrade to your room if not afford. High floor give you a better...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed two separate nights at this hotel. Lobby and rooms are very nice, good design, newer style. Breakfast buffet has big selection.
Located on very busy street but has decent sound insulation.
First stay was fine with friendly front desk told us that we can park ourselves or use valet.

Second time we came in and drove into the garage. Upon parking we were approached by unsavory looking individual who told us in Spanish that we should not park there since it is only valet parking.
At checking in assistant manager came in and demanded car keys. Hotel web site clearly states "self parking and valet" and on our previous stay we self parked. Needless to say that there were no signs at the entrance to the garage "valet only" or anywhere else.
Assistant manager and front desk clerk still insisted to leave the car keys with the front desk.
I asked to see the manager and was told that he is not available. We decided to stop this senseless arguments and turned in the car keys.
We both felt very strange to have such a reception at 5 star property.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family