“Best 5 star option”

Hotel Riu Plaza Panama
Ranked #21 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed October 24, 2011

among the 5 star option in panama, RIU is the one I would recommend.
1) On the price, it is slightly lower than comarable hotels.
2° on the city views it is very good on the south side.
3) on the breakfast it is by far number 1
4) on the maid service (2 times a day, very discreet) I say very very good.
5) 1 bad point: it is located on calle 50 ...this is one of the worst street to drive a rush hour ... and rush hour in panama can last from 4 pm to 8pm ...
6) other minus: why RIU is pushing the airconditionning so cold? even when you turn of the ac in your room, because the all building is so cold, you are cold in your own room ...

Reviewed October 23, 2011

Stayed mid-October for 4 nights. My room was nicely decorated and clean. However, the room and entire hotel was extremely cold, you could feel the cold air blowing with no relief. I set my room temp at 82 degrees, but it never warmed up. The second night I awoke choking from the musty smell of the room. After talking with the front desk, we arranged for a humidifier to be placed in the room, but I had to call two more times in order to receive it. The room's electric only ran while your room key was inserted in a reader at the door, so the humidifier only ran the brief times I was in the room. That said, I emptied the humidifier after only one day. The humidify and musty air was obviously at an unhealthy level. Anyone with asthma or respiratory issues should not stay here... Unfortunate, because meeting rooms, restaurant and rooms were so cold that they were extremely uncomfortable. If you're staying here, bring warm clothes, pjs, sweaters and ask for extra blankets at check-in.

1  Thank qtfergie
Reviewed October 21, 2011

During a 3 night stay I found this hotel to be nice but not elegant. The rooms are large and nicely appointed, although the shower head in the ceiling was placed off-center so that you got wet every time you turned it on. Food in the restaurants was good, especially the breakfast buffet. staff was friendly and helpful. a goos choice for business travelers.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Sljayhawk
Reviewed October 15, 2011

good: amazing breakfast buffet, nice pool for laps, friendly and helpful staff, large rooms

bad: most rooms smell musty and moldy, especially those btwn the 17th and 24th floors, expensive

Room Tip: 7-11th floors seem less moldy
Reviewed October 12, 2011

From the checkin service I had an issue with. I stayed yesterday october 10th and 11th and the night audit preferred talking on the phone than checkin us in right away he made us watch him talk on the phone.
We reserved a king size bed but we got 2 doubles for a couple...i mean come on thats what happens whn your on the phone and no looking at the reservation correctly.
So me and my partner had to fit in one double size bed ouldnt sleep at all.
The sheets on the bed were too tucked in it looked like we were in a burrito.
The sink never drained and the elevators were to slow and we were on the 32nd floor.
More than 2 flaws come on this cant be a 5star hotel.
I am in the hospitality industry so I did get these complaints, I hope you can impove such things because any h in my country I want or it to be superb!!

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank travelpty
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This is a beautiful new property located in center of the banking district of Panama City. The rooms were well decorated and state of the art. The service was good, the food was excellent. Definitely this property has a nice modern contemporary feel. There is a bar and restaurant located adjacent to the pool and another bar and restaurant in the spacious lobby area. My room was on a high floor and there were issues with humidity and the air conditioning. Every time I would set a temperature it would automatically reset after two minutes to 68 and I could not turn it off. I felt the humidity was far too high and it seemed moldy. I am in Panama frequently however I do not plan to return to the Hotel Riu Panama Plaza until I am sure that air conditioning and de-humidification issues have been corrected.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank CaptHMSimpson
Reviewed October 7, 2011

The hotel is in a top location, it looks like a Vegas hotel, very big. The rooms were not that luxury. Free wi fi and a very nice breakfast. Not much else to day. It is OKm but for US 170 maybe you can find something better.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business