“Gorgeous hotel, quite a looker”

Hotel Riu Plaza Panama
Ranked #19 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed June 18, 2011

We stayed here for one night at the start of our honeymoon. The hotel itself was absolutely beautiful, decorated in a very cool way and a very striking building in general. We were very comfortable in our room on the 31st floor overlooking the city and the Pacific! Negatives in our book were that the hotel pool bar closed very early, the restaurants were mostly closed by 7 when we went down to scout dinner options (we later ordered room service which was just fine) and the area surrounding the hotel is not too tourist-friendly, at least as far as traffic is concerned. We did walk around though, and once we got a few blocks away from the hotel, it was well worth it to see some of the unique neighborhoods of Panama. Staff was very accommodating and welcoming.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Riu Plaza Panama

Reviewed June 13, 2011

The check-in and check-out were fast and easy even though the hotel was crowded. The staff speaks fluently English.

I stayed in an executive room at the 32nd floor. The view from the room was amazing! The room itself was big and clean, but very damp (including the respective smell). The minibar was complementary. The wifi was complementary too, and fast in the entire hotel.

Breakfast is awesome and huge. I haven't eaten dinner there as the location of the hotel is good. There are several cheaper and more expensive restaurants in walking distance. You can also find small shops and bars close by.

I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Blackpearl99
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with a friend as we were both attending a wedding in Panama City. The hotel is very moderf looking and the the free buffet breakfast was wonderful. The beds were super comfy. The pool area was really nice, except that the sun fell behind the building about 2:30pm, so I couldn't tan while laying out after that time. This hotel was only a 15 minute cab ride from the Panama Canal (Miraflores Locks), and cost $8. A few down-sides were that they seemed to rush us out on our last day- they cancelled our free wireless internet access code before our noon checkout and our key cards didn't work so we had to have them re-programmed.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank AugieGabs
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I stayed at the Riu Plaza for 4 nights for a long weekend.
The hotel is well located, within a 5-10 minutes cab ride from most restaurants and the casco viejo. As you will notice, it's hard to walk around in the city. Everything is by cab. The hotel as a private cab service that is very convenient, although double the price of local cabs, it's well worth it.
The lobby is very nice, the rooms are modern with bright colors.
We had a very good service and people at the front desk were very helpfull.
The gym has all the basics to suit most travellers.
The breakfast buffet is huge. It reminds you that Riu is a resort hotel chain, and the breakfast buffet has that image: all in quantity and less in quality.
Having been around in the city and seen some of the other 5 star hotels (only from the outside), I'm happy I decided to stay at the Riu Plaza.
I'm giving a 'very good' score because of the following: we booked an executive floor room that has a few perks: wifi, evening turn down and a lounge to enjoy drinks and snacks throughout the day. Although it was still a very good value for money, there was no eveing turn down or replacement of the towels in the evening as you would expect for an exective level room, and the bar at the loung was not well stocked. Empty wine bottle would not get replenished and the snacks are limited to nuts and a fruit platter. Again, more would be expected.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank DCalexandre
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Riu Panama is a new and nice hotel. Good, clean and pleasant rooms in the center of Panama. Breakfast area is very impressive and the hotel has a nice pool with bar at the back of the hotel.

But be aware that the service in this hotel is very bad in all their departments. Unfriendly crew from the reception, valet parking, coffeestore and the breakfast area.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Absolutely loved the Riu Panama Plaza. Room was great (who would have thought purple was such a neat color in a hotel room?). Public space was beautiful. The pool looked so enticing....it was a real shame we didn't have an opportunity to take advantage of it. We got a great weekend rate, which included a huge breakfast buffet, so I cannot complain about the value proposition at all.
Our two nights here were very enjoyable. Hotel staff was great, especially the staff in the executive lounge that we were allowed to use, despite not being housed on the executive floor of the hotel. Having stayed at many Riu resorts in the caribbean and Mexico, we have "gold status" so having access to the lounge for coffee and snacks was wonderful and the staff could not have been nicer or more helpful.
The Riu Panama Plaza is within walking distance of shopping and restaurants. I would definitely return, but would make it a priority to use the pool.
If there was anything at all about the hotel I thought was a bit odd was that on our floor many of the unoccupied rooms appeared to be "cracked open." Perhaps that was to allow fresh air or something but it was a bit disconcerting to think that someone from off the street could gain access to a floor and crash in a room. I know, it probably could not happen, but it was still somewhat disconcerting and something I have never seen in my worldwide travels.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ChicagoJanice
Reviewed May 27, 2011

The Riu is beautiful and the breakfast is fantastic. The front desk staff and group staff were wonderful and spoke very good English. The housekeeping staff is not very good. They didn't clean thoroughly and left only one or even no washcloths even though there were two people staying in the room (in their defense, this is the only hotel I've stayed in in panama that actually had washclothes as they are apparently not common among Panamanians). I stayed in two different rooms because I traveled out of the city for the weekend. The first room was freezing despite leaving the A/C off all of the time. It was also very damp. After a few days, we requested a dehumidifier and this solved the problem. Apparently they had several dehumidifiers so this must be a common problem. I was also concerned about bed bugs because my legs were very itchy but I could not find any evidence of them. The second room I stayed in was perfect. The location is wonderful. Walking distance to my favorite restaurants and to Calle Uruguay which has lots of places to eat and have a drink.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business