In all my years of family travels to central america, this was the most uncomfortable place to stay and is way overpriced for what is offered. This place is uphill from the midst of the slums in the area.
I have had less mosquito bites in the rain forest than I did in the room. I would have preferred if Fabrice had turned us down instead of placing 2 extra cots in a room that is barely enough for a double bed, knowing that it would be extremely inconvenient for a family of 4. The bathroom was tiny with sparsely running water and the aircondition did not work. We spent two nights there and could not wait to leave.
The monkey's are kept in a large yard fenced in and they are well taken care. If you have never taken a jungle tour than you may find the tour entertaining, however the whole day tour was probably the most expensive ($120) per person and all it contains is boat ride towards the canal with a brief stop to see the capuchin monkeys in the wild who are conditioned to come to your boat to pick some banana and peanuts (which is probably not part of their standard diet). The hike in the forest was uneventful with very little to see in terms of flora or fauna. The included lunch was also somewhat disappointing.
The best part of staying in the Monkey Lodge was meeting some wonderful tourists from Sweden and The Netherlands. Its a pity we could not exchange contacts as we really enjoyed our talks with them.
If you do not have your own rental car you will be stuck with nothing to do. This place is not serene and quiet to relax as you can actually hear the traffic below the lodge. It's too close to the town to be in the midst of jungle and adjoining area is more of a slum.
Sad to say that it was a disappointment. I even hate to write anything negative but my experience forces me to be honest. This place may be good for those who want to stay close to the city and have their own vehicles. I am hopeful that the owners will continue to improve their service and think of these as constructive criticism. They should seriously not rent out the Lulu Lodge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Monkey Lodge is an authentic paradise, located at 20 minutes from Panama City Center, and 10 minutes from the Panama Chanel and neighbor to Soberania National Park.Monkey Lodge is a Bed & Breakfast with four cabins with all the amenities and comfort (refrigerators with drinks, safety box, privet bathroom and air condition on three of them). Furthermore, one of our cabins is located inside the monkey habitat, therefore all monkey lovers will be in close contact with these friendly and funny animals.While in Monkey Lodge, if you want it, you could be as close to monkey life as your will ever dream to spend unforgettable moments, knowing each monkey's personality, and their lifestyle.We also have a magnificent rainforest tropical garden, with an unmatched vegetation full of a enormous variety of flowers and birds, all located nearby our beautiful pool where you can rest and refresh all surround of these amazing place.In order to wake up your senses, we serve a delicious food in front of the garden and poolMonkey Lodge is not only a Bed & Breakfast, we are a travel agency and truism operator, therefore we are completely qualified to arrange, guide and make you holiday and tour as an exclusively experience, and warranty you an unforgettable vacation . We offer different travel offers so you can choose the one or ones that match your requirement. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Booking.com so you can book your Monkey Lodge Panama reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Monkey Lodge Panama Hotel Panama City
- Monkey Lodge Panama Panama City