“Just ate there - but terrific!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Sucre Boutique Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Casa Sucre Boutique Hotel
Ranked #6 of 85 Panama City B&B and Inns
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
“Just ate there - but terrific!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Casa Sucre is owned by a US Expat Couple and they love what they are doing, and they do it well. As their guest you note that every moment.
Their restaurant is probably the one with the best atmosphere in the Casco Antiguo, whether you come for a coffee and a book, a long talk with friends or a full meal.
Their fresh juices are a hit, the chocolate-mint cake is sinfully delicious, my favourite food is the juicy veggie sandwich. Who wants meat if you can get THAT.
During the Saturday morning breakfast-rush-hour the line can get a little long, but the owners do the job themselves and you get real first class service, by people who care about satisfying their clients. That makes all the difference in Panama, believe me!

Room Tip: Sorry, we dint have a room. However, mind that there may be traffic noise and late night music from...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Very classic Panama style house with 7 or 8 rooms right near the presidential palace. Casco Viejo is a prime spot in the city and this is a nice oasis to get out of the hustle and bustle. Alyce took wonderful care of us and even walked us to her favorite dinner spot on the first night we were staying there.

The building is on the corner of several busy streets so the rooms on the street side can be a little noisy at times, but that's just part of staying in a busy city. We will definitely go back here next time we're in Panama!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is the perfect place to stay in Casco Viejo. Within walking distance to great restaurants and historical sites and just around the corner from the Presidential Palace. They serve a fantastic breakfast in their newly opened coffeehouse. Alyce and Rich and their staff make you feel part of the family. Their mgr, Tomas, is a wonderful tour guide, with lots of surprises in store for you! We couldn't have asked for a more perfect Panamanian experience!! You truly won't be disappointed. We can't return soon enough!

• Stayed March 2013
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Well , it's been a long time ,,my travels have been long adventures worldwide ,,but I'm still thinkin of you!!!!
What a fabulous place the sucre is ,,,so beautiful,,spotless , rooms are so pretty,comfortable ,really creative , a home away from home feelin! And the area ,, up and coming ,,super cool ,artistic vibe , lots of new trendy restaurants right across the street and around the corner too,,,,I'm a photographer and have many of my photos of the area going into galleries now.Alyce and her mom were there on my stay and they are both ,"" wise woman of today """,,,SOOO very personable and hospitable,,,getting up in the wee hours of the morning to make those fabulous breakfasts and coffee,,I ate like a bird ,,to Alyce's dismay ,,but I did sample ,, " DIVINE", just like the two of them are!!
I sure do hope to get back soon ,,altho I did go all the way to up to the mountains to DAVID. CALDERA ,BOCAS DEL TORRO , AND BOQUETE,,,, there's even more to explore ,,and I will stay at the Casa Sucre again for sure,,,!!!
By the way Alyce ,,,remember my ""tv show idea "" I was working on??? And how excited you were by the idea?? I'm happy to say ,,I pitched it recently, and the next chapter has opened! It's already been an amazing journey,,, and I hope to be there again soon ,,,interviewing the chief you introduced me to and the beautiful children ..
Much light ,
Heidi Lane

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

If you're lucky enough to get a reservation here, take it! The couple who run this hotel have completely renovated (and tastefully so) a beautiful historic home, turning it into various apartments, guestrooms, etc. The location is great, close to cafes, shops, wonderful restaurants and in the neighborhood with the most character overall (at least from what I've experienced).
I'm all about places that over-deliver, and this is definitely one of them! Enjoy!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I am remiss in not writing this review earlier, as my husband and I spent several nights during the Christmas holidays using Casa Sucre as our home base. My hesitation was that my review could not possibly live up to expressing the magical experience that we were given by Alyce (a-leese) and Richard.

Casco Viejo is the place to stay when you are in Panama City, and it is small enough that it is all very walkable...and safe day and night. The entire area is under construction as individual buildings are being redeveloped and infra-structure is upgraded (they are even re-paving the streets by hand). Retaining the original architectural styles is a priority. Casa Sucre was one of the first renovations, and it is an air-conditioned, lovely and comfortable oasis from the heat of the streets. Go now so you can see the transformation taking place...while you can afford it.

Alyce's recommendations for dining suggestions were spot on, and she made us food from family recipes that I would kill for. Richard's lattes will soon be the talk of the "old" town when his corner coffee shop (in the same building) fully opens. We loved that he practiced with us:)

Alyce was gracious and generous beyond belief, and we shared an instant bond. Casa Sucre also attracts exceptional guests, and we were able to share Christmas and New Year's with two families that we hope will forever be a part of our lives. Richard and Alyce joined us for New Year's as well so we all ushered in the New Year together, over dinner under the stars and watching the endless display of fireworks across the entire city. Nothing short of heavenly...all of it. We loved every minute.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mickey O
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Alice and Rich are.the perfect hosts, the Casa De Sucre a beautifully renovated asset in the old neighborhood of Casco Viejo.

All you need is in walking distance: plenty of bars and restaurants, beautiful views on the sea and the Panama City skyline.. Lots of cops in the streets apparently guarding the presidents sea front residene nearby keep the booming ruins-turned-chic neighborhood safe for a stroll around the clock.

• Stayed January 2013