Embera Village Tours & More

from $195.00
More Info
from $215.00
More Info
All reviews canoe ride chagres river an adventure dry season dugout waterfall culture motorized outboard hardwork
Selected filters
Reviewed February 12, 2017

Love to the simple lifestyle of the Embera natives. The tour was Awesome. Learned a lot that I can apply to my own lifestyle. Ellie, my coordinator for the tour is outstanding.
You have made my trip to Panama amazing! I love Jorge and Harry
Jorge (tour guide for Embera village)--- energetic personality, fun spirit, knowledgeable
Harry (tour guide for Panama Canal)--fun loving personality, passion for the impact of history---knowledgeable. He is a social butterfly with people
Thanks Ellie, Jorge, and Harry

Patricia

Date of experience: February 2017
1  Thank patwalker2004
Reviewed February 2, 2017

We didn't want to do this, but our travel agent insisted and said it would be interesting. It was upsetting. A small group of indigenous people with no other way to support themselves but put on a touristy show for visitors. I felt badly for the Embara people who have to do this.

1  Thank Ebb2885
Anne G, Owner at Embera Village Tours & More, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2017

Dear Ebb2885,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your visit to the Embera village. It sounds like you may not have gone with our company, Embera Village Tours. We always strive to provide the best and most interesting experience for our guests.

Many of the other tour operators who offer a visit to the Embera communities, go to the closer villages, that receive many tour groups per day, so it can feel a lot more like a "tourist trap" as you have suggested.

I have been married to an Embera man since 2004 and we take our tours to my husband's village, which is the most remote village, which means they receive the least amount of visitors, which translates into them being equally curious, engaging and enjoying meeting and getting to know each and every tourist who arrives in their village.

There has been an anthropologist from Oxford who studied the effects of tourism on the Embera culture and he found that tourism provides an incentive to maintain their traditions, keeps their culture and language alive, enables the Embera to live as they prefer and instills a sense of pride in their tribe. In my 13 years with the Embera people, I have found them to be warm, friendly, happy and relaxed people. I have also learned that no matter how laid back they are, you cannot force an Embera person to do anything they do not want to do. In other words, they earn their income today through tourism because they want and choose to do so. If they did not want to participate in receiving visitors, they would not.

I hope this helps you to understand more about our Embera Village Tours. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit here in Panama.

Anne Gordon de Barrigon
Owner, Embera Village Tours
Embera friend and family member

Reviewed January 20, 2017

This was a remote, quaint and wonderful little village. We spent a delightful afternoon with the villagers! They prepared a wonderful lunch and entertained us with some dancing, encouraging us to join in! The children were especially enchanting!

Reviewed January 19, 2017

Wonderful visit to one of the Embera tribes in Panama. Friends and I drove to a pick up point in Gamboa, and were picked up in a hollowed out log boat by the natives. 30 minutes up the river to their tribe's home. They put us with an english speaking tribal member, and we had a traditional lunch prepared in front of us of fresh caught in the river Tilapia and plantains served in a fresh cut palm leaf bowl. We brought gifts of bags of rice and candy. We were shown their weaving, how they dye the palm leaves, and many carvings. Then a tour of the plants used by the medicine man. Native dances which we were invited to join in on, and of course a look at their wares for sale. Don't miss this for a true Panama experience as these people live as they have always for hundreds of years.

Reviewed January 8, 2017 via mobile

Took a wooden Canoe with a motor to the village. The had goods for sale and did a traditional dance but best of all were how adorable the kids were. My friends got henna tattoos there but our tour didn't offer the op. We listened to an hour lecture on for weaving process. This Was a bit too long for Americans attention span. Try to do a tour that does the village but it's not the only stop of the day.

Date of experience: January 2017
Anne G, Owner at Embera Village Tours & More, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2017

Thank you for your review of your visit to the Embera village. However, this page is for the company Embera Village Tours and based on your review and photos, you did not go on our tour, but visited another Embera village with another company. It appears that you went to one of the closer villages and our tours visit a more remote and traditional village where you always have the option of having a jagua fruit dye tattoo if you wish. The presentation in the village we go to is fascinating and covers the Embera history, culture, how they live, style of dress and how they make their crafts and lasts about 30-40 minutes, longer if there are many questions from the visitors. The only complaint we ever hear on our tours is that nobody ever wants to leave the village at the end of the tour! :) I am happy you enjoyed your visit to the Embera village.

Anne Gordon de Barrigon
Embera friend and family member
Owner, Embera Village Tours.