Review Highlights
Great guides! Great day of fishing!

My girlfriend and myself booked a charter for peacock bass fishing in February. Not the best time... read more

Reviewed March 5, 2020
Getaway312149
via mobile
Peacock bass galore

This was an amazing trip. Jorge really knew where to go to get us on the fish, not to mention he... read more

Reviewed February 28, 2020
paulwG9481VQ

Recommended experiences in and around Panama City
from $309.00
from $589.00
from $399.50
from $135.00
More Info
All reviews peacock bass big ones live bait panama canal gamboa rainforest resort these guys tilapia chagres river snook elio fished captain troll lures boat guide monkeys
Selected filters
Reviewed October 24, 2015

Last week my wife and I retraced the steps of a trip I made with friends 2 years ago. This time Rich, the owner, took us on a wonderful and humorous tour of Panama City. The next day, Carlos whisked us off by boat to see lots of different monkeys and birds in the jungle adjoining the Panama Canal, which we were boating in by a great captain, Elio. That was followed up by a visit to an Embara Indian area, where we did shopping. Prices far lower than in the City!!!. The next day, off to Bello Porto, the gold city and the Black Christ., followed by a fabulous view and presentation of the new Canal. From a previous trip I can attest they really know how to fish. So if you are planning a trip to Panama, use Rich and his great team.

Date of experience: October 2015
1  Thank jack s
Reviewed October 17, 2015

Peacock Peacock Peacock awesome fishing and heck of great time with Rich and his crew of guides. My buddy Don and I found this guide and they were fantastic. Very reasonable pricing and unlimited fun which you cant put a price tag on! We will definitely keep this location on our annual fishing adventures list. Finally the Peacock bass are a tasty treat - if done right! Thanks Rich and Team for a super fantastic time Dec 2014.

Date of experience: December 2014
2  Thank O7972TWscottj
Reviewed August 17, 2015

Abellardo picked us up right on time at our hotel, and 40 minutes later, the Captain pushed us off from the dock and up the Canal we went to Lake Gatun, Fished with small live minnows and small hooks for what turned out to be plentiful but not overly large peacock bass....they are beautiful and fight hard...a fight similar to small-mouth bass. We caught a mess to filet, and moved several times to find the fish, but didn't find anything large. The Captain missed a hook-up on a tarpon with his popper-bait as we were fishing with the smaller live bait in the flooded timber. So, some big fish are present.

For the last hour or so, we trolled and snagged a nice 3.5 lb. peacock bass, and a very unresponsive "submerged log bass". By then it was time to head to the dock. The Guides were helpful, cleaned our fish and packaged it, and the drinks and and sandwiches were as advertised. All in all a decent fishing trip, but since we didn't tag into a a good snook, tarpon, or grande peacock bass, fairly unremarkable regarding our results. Maybe just a bad day for fishing, or just a few bad/unlucky fisherman. Our "larger fish" expectations built on large-mouth bass and blue catfish experiences in Texas, and saltwater fishing out of Costa Rica cast a wide shadow over the fish we were able to catch last week on Lake Gatun.

Still, a day on the water, beats a day doing almost anything else---and getting to hear a large tarpon try to inhale a surface popper gives you something to dream about for the next trip. Our guides told us that the top-water action is much better closer to dawn, so if you get the chance, try to get on the water faster than we did (got lines in the water about 1.5 hours after sun-up); might be worth the loss of a little sleep.

The price was fair which included hotel pickup/delivery, sandwiches, cold drinks and beer; and the guides were helpful and attentive.

Date of experience: August 2015
1  Thank linda_mcanally
Reviewed July 24, 2015

I got picked up at my hotel by both Rich (the owner) and Daniel (the fishing guide), both Americans and then we headed off to the canal's sport marina. After meeting Chimbe (boat captain) and getting loaded up on the boat, we took off seeing the sights and then after about 20-30 minutes we started fishing. Peacock Bass are pretty easy to catch once you get the technique now after the guys teach you how to do it. I was catching peacock bass pretty easily. After getting fish meat, we headed up off to go trolling which yielded some more peacock bass and eventually, I hooked and landed a 11 pound Snook! Afterwards, we ate lunch with the Snook and Peacock Bass we caught which was great!

Definitely book a trip because this is one way to mark Peacock Bass off your fishing bucket list. I tried fishing for them in Iquitos, Peru, but there is just too much fishing pressure to get any so get it in Panama while you still can!

Food and drinks are provided. Just bring your sunglasses, sunscreen, tips for the crew, and your A-game for fishing!

For more information, go to my site:

Date of experience: July 2015
4  Thank solvingforzero
Reviewed June 19, 2015 via mobile

We took a full day trip with Panama Canal Fishing tours. We spent the morning fishing and the afternoon at the Miraflores Locks. Our guide Randy was very personable and knowledgeable about the culture, area, and fly fishing. Fishing on Lake Gatun was beautiful and we caught some peacock bass, one over three pounds. They were very accommodating and we thoroughly enjoyed exploring the Lake. The owner Rick was incredibly responsive and answered all questions prior to our visit. He was there to meet us at our hotel on time and made sure the day ran smoothly for all involved. We couldn't recommend them more!

Date of experience: June 2015