“A very well-run tour”

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A very well-run tour”
Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband, my ten-year old son and I took a full-day tour, guided by Abelardo and Helio. It was immediately clear how knowledgable they both were about the lake. After only about 15-20 minutes we caught our first fish and when a spot would go quiet, we would leave and they knew the next spot to go.
They were very patient and helpful. I must have gotten my line hung up on shore or on tree roots 15 different times and they would bait another rod and hand it to me while they worked on the other line. They really made our day great.
The day we were out was really hot, and even with some cloud cover the rays were intense, so when you go, make sure you bring sunscreen and reapply!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Laura W

Colorado Springs, Colorado
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Peacock bass Fishing with Panama Canal Fishing”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I booked a trip with Panama Canal Fishing through Gaby and Rich Cahill, it was fantastic. I was picked up at my hotel by my guide Abelardo and we drove for about an hour to the boat landing, where we met with the boat Captain Elio. Our journey through Lake Gatun and into the Chagres River took us by enormous ships, basking crocodiles, and howler monkeys, until we reached his favorite fishing spot. Caught lots of Peacock Bass, some in the 4-5 pound range. Great boat and equipment, plenty of cold drinks, beautiful jungle landscape, and two great fishing companions who went out of their way to make my experience one of the best I could hope for, truly exceptional.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank j7paige
Calgary
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fun in Panama”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Our family went fishing with Panama Canal Fishing (PCF) on March 17th and had a great time. We split time looking for snook and tarpon largely for me (dad) and having loads of action on the peacock bass (my 5 year old loved it, 3 year old enjoyed but is still a little young). We threw some poppers and rapla type lures looking for bigger bass - had some surface smashes but no hook-ups with the monsters that I am sure are out there. The guides did not hesitate to move around looking for fish and the wildlife we hoped to see.
What a cool experience. Howler monkeys screaming, massive container ships chugging along the main channel, toucans, another species of monkey, crocodiles (or some relative - I can't recall), many species of birds.
The guides were great, one focused on the fishing and the other was a naturalist/tour guide. Both were very knowledgeable about their parts. We were specific in what we hoped to do that trip and the crew listened and worked hard so it all accomplished.
We had many laughs during the trip and created memories that will last a lifetime - our children still "howl" at the monkeys and we crack up everytime.
We were staying at the Royal DeCameron which is about 2 hours from Gamboa, the PFC staff arranged our transportation from there to Gamboa with a great driver who was safe, timely and efficient and knowledgeable.
Anyways, I could go one but I think you should be able to get my point - this was a great trip and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Thank you Panama Canal Fishing for a great experience!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank gustuphson
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“great for family, not for the serious angler”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

my email inquires were met with prompt responses, and the few questions I had were easily answered. we agreed on a date and off we went.
our english speaking guide, roberto, was prompt and very pleasant. since we left at 6am from our hotel, he offered to stop at a nice gas station, where my wife and i were able to get a breakfast sandwich and coffee... we then proceeded to marina (about 45 minutes) . we met our captain, and boarded the our boat
The boat:
the boat was a 21 ft hurricane pontoon boat, made in indiana and appeared to be 5-7 years old. It had been repowered with a yamaha 115, but was in need of some serious care. most of the cushions were badly discolored, and the boat was overall dirty....not a deal breaker, but this boat will need some attention in the near future...but it ran well, and got us where we needed to go. (when we got back to the marina, our guide and captain left with us...the boat was never cleaned or rinsed down.)
The fishing:
we traveled down the canal about 10-12 miles, we began pulling up and anchoring on large submerged mahogany trees, there as a result of the flooding of lake gatun. hats of to the captain, as local knowledge was a must. there were many trees just under the surface that anyone not familiar with the lake would easily smash a propeller or lower unit. we then were handed quality light weight spinning outfits with 15-20 lb braid. our hooks were baited with small sardines or shiners, and we were instructed to jig them lightly off the bottom...with no luck on the first tree, we promptly moved. at our next tree, I instantly caught two very small peacock bass...between 8 and 10 inches. we then moved from spot to spot and caught very similar size fish...some area's were better than others...my wife, who does not fish, got in on the action and caught 6 in a row! now this is where my title comes into play...the largest fish we caught may have been 15 inches and 1.5 lbs. I was able to switch to casting a small crystal minnow, and enjoyed myself, but having fished for everything from marlin to 10lb largemouth bass, this was a bit of a disappointment. I should also note that they do not use leaders, and tie the braid directly to the hooks...I would bet the fishing would be even better with some flurocarbon or even mono leader. But let me be clear...if you have a family, and are not avid fisherman, u will have a blast. there were plenty to catch, the guides were very nice, and scenery is beautiful...we saw birds, turtles and heard the howler monkeys. I'm sure there must be large fish in the lake, but based upon the size of the tackle and small hooks, I would guess this is pretty normal for the size of the fish you will expect to catch.
I would also note that $529 for 5 hours of lake fishing is pretty pricey...had we split the charter, I might have felt it was a better value...would I go again, probably not....would I recommend it for a family, absolutely. for me an average rating, for less serious anglers, probably a 4 or 5 i might also note that right before we left the states I watched a show shot in the amazon, and the peacocks were 15-25lbs. my expectations might have been a little high!

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Jcandkathyc
Walnut Creek, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great time fishing”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was one of the highlights of our trip to Panama. Robert was our guide and he was very knowledgeable about the fish and other animals which we saw. We caught a lot of fish though none no where as big as their web site shows in the photos. Mostly small to med size peacock bass. But it was a great trip and Robert and the ship captain were excellent guides. We would not hesitate to do the trip again.

Visited January 2013