“Amazing hotel”

Ranked #55 of 84 Panama City B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

This hotel is fantastic. I don't know what you are all complaining about. The area used to be unsafe, but it is great now. The barb wires do in fact keep you safe. I was there for 3 days and nights, and did not complain once. Sure, it is not a 5 star hotel, but the staff were so friendly, and the rooms were nice. There are also free computers to use and free internet. When I got there the room was clean and nice. The showers were okay, not the best I've ever seen, but they were average. I stayed there with my wife, and she had no complaints either. I would come back to this hotel any day. I don't see why you are all complaining about it so much, when it is such a wonderful place to stay!

Room Tip: I would think that all the rooms are the same quality, but I only stayed in one room, so I'm not...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

So, let me try this one more time. I booked this hotel (which should actually be called a hostel) because of the good reviews. I was staying at boutique hotel when I first arrived in Panama City in Marbella, which I really enjoyed (with good reviews on Trip Advisor). I figured why not trust the reviews again and book something in another part of Panama City. That was a mistake as the location of Hotel Santana is in a very dodgy part of the city. The taxi driver who dropped me of at the hotel advised me to not leave the place to explore the neighborhood, as it was rather dangerous. I was greeted and then take to my room upon arrival. There is not an elevator in the place, so good luck carrying your luggage up the stairs.

Simple room with a queen size bed and a TV. Looking outside the window was a wall with barbwires, which did not make me safe. The bathroom was definitely lacking, and I didn't even dare take a shower there as it looked very unclean. Over all, a not so pleasant experience. I should have just paid a bit more and stayed at a nicer place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have stayed at Santana on three separate occasions en route to Bocas del Toro, or returning. As others have noted, if you are looking for something cheap, basic and clean in an interesting area, Santana is just fine. The staff are friendly and helpful, and there are always lots of young people coming and going, which gives the place a youthful and fun atmosphere. The immediate area does look a bit dubious, but I have never had a problem. There are lots of police around, but you may feel safer walking as a group or taking a taxi - the hotel will call a reputable one for you. However, I walk everywhere in Casco by myself and have never had an issue.

If I were looking for a place to spend several days, I would want a hotel with more amenities, but for an overnight stay between Tocumen and Albrook (or vice versa), Santana is my choice and the place I recommend to friends and family. You just need to have realistic expectations for a place that costs less than $50 per night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Panama City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Please note, that the hotel area is not tourist at all! Your neighbors will be the most pour people in Panama City, the taxi drivers will tell you, that this is a mafia area. Although the people are friendly and nothing bad happend to us there. So it is up to you to choose your area :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Syracuse, New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

Hotel Santana is located Casco Viejo, an old neighborhood that is interesting and colorful during the day, but not secure at night. We spent one night in this hotel upon arriving in Panama City before we travelled onto David. The hotel staff were very friendly, and serve food at all hours at the mini restaurant/bar. This is not a super luxurious or romantic hotel by any means (it is sort of reminiscent of my elementary school), but it is clean and each room has it's own bathroom and air conditioning, which is grounds for me to consider this hotel at least average. The area also frequents taxis, so we had no problem picking a taxi up to go to the bus station.
I know there is also a private, attached parking garage that those who have rental cars can use, so no worries on the security of your rental car either. Overall, considering the reasonable price and the friendly environment, it was a fine choice for an overnight stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

I was in Panama with 2 buddies of mine. We stayed here for 1 night after arriving on a Spirit Airlines flight at a crazy hour from the US, and just wanted a cheap place to stay that was clean and in a decent location before moving on to a more expensive and luxurious hotel the next day.

Let me start by saying I am an extremely experienced traveler and have been to over 50 countries. Therefore, I know the difference between a hostel and a hotel, and I know how to manage expectations and not criticize a place unfairly.

I feel like the people who write bad reviews for this place are completely out of line because they are paying hostel prices and expecting the Four Seasons. That is not fair to the operators of the hostel. You should be rating it based upon what it is, not what it isn't. Here is what it is:

As you have read time and time again, this is a hostel, not a hotel. EXTREMELY basic rooms, no frills, not even windows in the rooms. It is just beds in a room, and a bathroom. If you want a glamorous or cushy place, or something romantic, or to impress someone, this is NOT the place for you. If you just want a place to sleep, that is CLEAN, cheap, safe, and in a great location for walking around the old city (Casco Viejo), then this IS for you.

Because I had these expectations in mind, I was extremely satisfied with the place. The staff was very friendly, the place was very clean, they had a locked storage room for our belongings when we checked out, and we were able to walk around the old city the entire afternoon. The price was excellent.

I would highly recommend it if the above is what you are looking for. If not, spend a lot more money and stay in a standard hotel. There are lots of hotels of all price ranges in Panama City.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank globetrottingyank
belo horizonte
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

The reader that said it was a hostel were correct. It doesn't even have windows in the rooms!! You will notice that many of these 5 star comments come from Toronto or Canada. Hmmm????
Personally, this hostel (not a hotel) rates a "0", AS IT'S NOT A HOTEL.
You will find no furniture in the room, expect a tv that works intermittently, and a metal bed that looks like something out of the 50's (with a thin mattress that looks as if it has never been changed from the 50's as well)
Another point... it took ONE AND ONE HALF HOURS TO GET HERE FROM THE PTY AIRPORT!!!! The traffic coming into town from the airport is as bad as Sao Paulo, Brazil. It may have been only 25-30km, but the taxi could only go as fast as one could walk. WHAT A WASTE.
So, if anyone still want to stay here, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Room Tip: DON'T STAY HERE!!! Get a room somewhere else. This hotel is located in the worst part of town...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo