“WOW! I wish I had time to golf while I was there!”

Radisson Summit Hotel And Golf
Ranked #25 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed January 25, 2011

I recently stayed at the Radisson Summit Hotel an Golf Resort while on an 8 day group tour with Caravan. While this hotel seems to be in the "middle of nowhere" it really was a diamond in the rough! The rooms were fabulous, the views were amazing, and they also had excellent facilities, restaurants, banquet rooms, pools, restaurant and bars.

Since I work in the hotel business, I am always very critical of the hotels I stay in, and when staying with an all-inclusive tour, and not having a choice in where I stay, it always scares me the hotels they choose (knowing they're always price sensitive in order to protect the group organizer's profit). This hotel was amazing! The room was large, comfortable and clean. It was opened just over a year ago and the rooms reflect that newness. It still smells like new carpet, fresh and clean (unlike the Playa Blanca resort we were at next ... YUCK!) The bathroom was HUGE, modern and gorgeous. A spacious walk-in shower with excellent water pressure and nice hot water.

The restaurant's food was good (we had buffets each day) but had good variety from day to day, the service was friendly and attentive. We had a few drinks at the bar and after the first night, decided to stick to beer ($2/bottle of Balboa or Atlas) versus the delicious Irish Cappuccino, which ticked in at $7 each. The pool area was gorgeous. They had two pools, a gorgeous infinity pool which was 5' deep, and a more shallow pool which was perfect for just hanging around. They offered a 1/4 mile path through the rainforest on their property, beware, it's a very steep hill!

We had gorgeous views from our room overlooking a well-groomed championship golf course. I wish we would have had some free time so I could have taken in a few hours on the links. The guys on the golf course were happy to drive us around the course to take photos for free ... unfortunately the afternoon we wanted to go, it was raining. They have two computers with free internet access in their lobby; I believe they also offered free wifi in the rooms (but I didn't bring my computer along to use the service). Large 37" flat screen LCD tv's, robes, slippers and some great aromatherapy shampoo, conditioner and lotions in the bathroom.

The only bad thing I would say about the hotel is that I'm not sure who did the decorating for the place. It seemed very random with ultra-modern chairs in the bar; gorgeous wooden flooring on the stairs near the lobby, a lot of modern metal and glass; but then mixed with a throwback to nature with wood and stone. Add in kitchy gold framed reproductions of Monet, Manet and Rembrandt ... that are for sale and hanging everywhere in the hotel. Very weird.

• Stayed: January 2011
2  Thank mandas1

Reviewed January 16, 2011

The hotel was great, beautiful pool areas, nice bars, great food, free wifi, large rooms with comfy beds and wonderful setting. Like others we had trouble with our room safe … in fact there were at least 2 of us one nite who had to call for resetting it – was very difficult for such a simple task. The views were incredible unless you looked straight down where all their trash was piled.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank SzTerrell
Reviewed December 30, 2010

This hotel upgraded us to Business level due to Radisson frequent stay membership at no o cost.
Hotel is on a hill and 15 miles from city costing $20 eachway for a cab.
However, it is great for nature lovers with walking trail and awesome viewes of rain forest. food was O.K . Can be better. Not much choice.They did not clean room one day and I was not happy but they cleaned it after my complaint. Staff is very very good and helping. 2-3 days stay here would be perfect.Great GOLF

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Texana_7
Reviewed December 29, 2010

We took a one-way (repositioning) cruise from Fort Lauderdale down to Colon, Panama, so I had to book us a night in a hotel within a reasonable drive to the airport. I tried to do my research before going, but I was a bit leery, since I'd never been to Panama. We arranged for a tour that picked us up at the cruise port and dropped each person off at their hotels. As soon as we entered the grounds of this hotel, I realized that I could rest assured that I'd made the right choice. The hotel is set upon a hillside right next to a rain forest and a golf course. Check in went quickly & smoothly. We went up to our room (6th floor, I believe) and were again impressed. The room was very spacious & luxurious, the bathroom was elegant, and the view from our balcony was phenomenal! Staying there was like a great dream that you didn't want to wake up from. I wanted to go outside and check out the grounds, but my husband was paranoid about pythons, killer spiders, or whatever deadly things might come with a rain forest. We asked at the front desk as to whether it was safe for us to explore. They assured us that it was, and then they even requested one of their employees to drive us all around in a golf cart to check out the whole property! He must have taken us around for about an hour, and he'd stop and let us take pictures of the exotic birds or whatever else struck our fancy. When we returned, we just hung out in our room. The pools and pool area were beautiful, but we didn't get to try them since it was a rainy day. That night, since we were kind of in the middle of nowhere, we just ate at the hotel's restaurant. Dinner was alright; nothing special. It was a good thing that I had my broken Spanish from back in high school, because my husband knows zero Spanish and wouldn't have been able to communicate with the wait staff. The next morning, they had a very nice breakfast buffet, and they had a cook there that would make you omelets. After breakfast, we had a taxi driver take us to the airport. It was a fantastic 24+ hours, and I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank poodlestix
Reviewed December 18, 2010

I can add to the assessment by TripAdvisor members that this is the best hotel in Panama City. I stayed two nights on a Caravan Tour.
The view from my 7th floor room was breathtaking. I could see the city skyline through a gap in the jungle-covered hills, as well as the tip of the towers of the Centennario Bridge.
The room and all public areas were classy and modern, and gave you a good feeling always.
We walked around the golf cart path, and saw leaf cutter ants. The course is beautiful. Watch out for the water hazards. When we say hazard, we mean hazard, like we saw turtles and a crocodile at one pond at the entrance to the resort!
The weather was bad (the bridge was closed due to total collapse of the approach due to disastrous flooding), so I didn’t get to try the pool, but it looked very nice.
The bed was oh-so-comfy and room was quiet.

• Stayed: December 2010
3  Thank Heikermeister
Reviewed December 4, 2010

I would highly recommend this hotel. We found rates on Expedia for less than $100 per night. We had an upper floor room looking over the rainforest and the golf course.

The hotel is less than a year old. The room was beautiful and the bed and pillows were fabulous. The restaurant leaves something to be desired but we did appreciate the breakfast buffet that was included in the rates. The swimming pool was too cool to get in it, so that was a disappointment. The golf course is perhaps 50 years old and very well established. This hotel is located between the Pedro Miguel locks and Gamboa, so it is out of the city about 30 minutes. If you are looking for the action of Panama City, perhaps you should consider something else. If you are looking was a very nice hotel, out of the city, peace and quiet, close proximity to the Panama Canal - this is your place.

Service was great in all areas and we would revisit this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Mahalo65078
Reviewed December 3, 2010

We stayed at this less than one year old hotel with Caravan. I loved the forrest, the buffets were good, and the rooms and views were beautiful. The service and staff were pleasant. The safe was hard to use and the only instructions were in the guest room manual, and not near the safe-and very confusing, I know several people had to have staff come in and re-set the safes. The hallways needed vacuuming, and the carpeting was frayed along the edges and coming up in places. The day we were leaving, they had repaired the concrete in front of our elevator, and did not mention it was wet, so someone stepped in the concrete and spread dirty tracks. There are still walls were they have been damaged and not repaired. There is also a need for an ATM in the hotel. Hopefully they will improve the facility

• Stayed: November 2010