“Great Panama City location”
Review of Le Meridien Panama

Le Meridien Panama
Ranked #9 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed December 1, 2009

This is a great hotel that fit the bill for our trip. It is conveniently located near everything you'd want to see - the Miraflores Locks are 15 minutes away; Casco Viejo is a 5 minute cab ride, etc.

The staff at the hotel were excellent. Mary at the front desk, Guilermo the Doorman, and Yasmine the Concierge all stood out. The pool is small, but we were the only ones that used it. This is a small hotel with only a few more than 100 rooms; everyone will know your name quickly.

There are two great restaurants that we highly recommend - Market (right next to the hotel) and La Posta. They are by the same chef and were incredible.

The trip to see the Embera Indians was also a highlight - I highly recommend this, especially if you have children.

The rooms here are nice (although the bathrooms are designed to offer little privacy); we especially liked our view of the Bay of Panama and the ships lined up to enter the canal.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Boris D, Manager at Le Meridien Panama, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2015

Thank you for posting this review and sharing your feedback with us! I am glad that you enjoyed your experience in the hotel.
Thank you for your time and looking forward to your return visit to Le Meridien Panamá.

There are newer reviews for Le Meridien Panama

Reviewed November 28, 2009

Being in hotels nearly 100 nights per year, for a lot of years, it is nice to find a comfortable modern place like the Le Meridien. The quality of the staff from doormen, house keeping, front desk, business center, and concierge was excellent. Concierge service was professional and determined to ensure your comfort. They were great with tours, restaurants, and other good advice.

The hotel is in a great location for food, shopping, and launching day trips from PC. The small health club has top of the line machines. The Spa treatment was excellent and reasonably priced.

The only downside is the pool. While nice, it remains in the shade of the building a lot of the day.

We will return there next time in PC.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 19, 2009

I am a SPG junkie and was glad to know this hotel was available and new when I was looking into our Panama City trip. I paid a rate of $205 through spg.com, which I thought was more than fair. This is a great hotel and I loved it and will absolutely stay there when I return.

Pro's:
- a couldn't be beat location - VIEWS, walking distance from the best clubs and restaurants
- wonderful bed, great big windows
- service is incomparable - the staff knew us and greeted us with huge smiles when walking in the door. they were so sweet and genuine. Jean in the bar and the other manager (can't remember his name - sorry!), Miguel and Christian at the door. So sweet and lovely - all of them. When we came back for an extra night after leaving for a few days they were all "oh welcome back! how was your weekend" so nice
- room service is good and reasonably priced
- coffee pot in room with great panamanian coffee
- wonderful spa with beautiful massages

Con's:
- taxi's - the hotel will only put you in a car from their own transportation company which is easily 3 to 4 times the price of a cab you can find in the street. And if you don't agree to take their car service, you're on your own. They will just look at you while you look for your own cab in the street. This was a very negative experience each time it occurred and it really pissed me off. This runs so counter to the service in the rest of the hotel. For example, they quoted me $30 r/t from the hotel to Casco Viejo - a 5 min ride. When we went to the street and hailed our own cab, which they refused to do for us, we paid $8 r/t. They'll probably attribute the need to security or something, but that is complete BS and we never had a problem. This is a safe city. The nerve of them. I'm obviously still bitter about their smirks as they watched us walk to the street to find our own normally priced taxi, which thankfully we did each time. Beware - if you want a normal cab price/experience, they will not help at all, not whatsoever. This is why the hotel only earns 4 stars from me.
- Showers - If you have a non-suite, your shower will have a window overlooking the bedroom. This is good for sexy time. But if you're with Aunt Edna or your sister or something, being able to see her shower might not be so good. You would also be able to see and hear her on the toilet, as that is also clearly visible and audible through the window. Caution!

But all in all, I'll be back and can't wait to see my friends at the hotel. They are a great bunch of people. I hope they can work out their kinks but I'll be along for the ride.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 13, 2009

The hotel was amazing, great design, sexy and sophisticated feeling inside. The staff is very attentive and courtesy. The location is great, just a quick ride from Punta Paitilla or Casco Viejo. There was some mix up with the room service several times, but nothing the staff didn't correct immediately.

My only complaint.... $15 a day for wireless internet access after spending $400 a night seems ridiculous !

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen F

Reviewed September 27, 2009

Since the moment I arrived, the staff gave me a huge welcome, making me feel so at home and comfortable. They're always with a smile and so willing to assist you. The spectacular art behind the Front Desk takes your breath away... The sounds on the elevator are hilarious... a different sound every time. The room has an amazing view to the Cinta Costera and the ocean, where you can see the boats waiting to enter the Panama Canal and the yachts at the Marina. The Spa is so delicious and peaceful that I wanted to stay there forever!

The bed is soooo goooood!!!! The pillows feels just like heaven.. I didn't wanted to get up!

The food is very good, not to expensive and very good service.

The location of the Hotel is very good, if you're into nightlife; there are good malls nearby as well as casinos, and the Cinta Costera is a perfect place to do some outdoorsy activity.

The concierge people recommended us wonderful restaurants near the hotel, such as La Posta, Market and Pepperoncini and they were just fabulous. Also, they booked a tour around the Old City and a Monkey Island Tour and Aerial Tram at Gamboa... So cool!

The staff is very well trained with every aspect of the hotel, since this brand is all about experiencies and art. I definitely recommend this hotel. Is a little bit pricey, but they're are very good deals on the web and is totally worth it!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yozuse

Reviewed September 15, 2009

I am a Platinum Starwood member, I have stayed at Le Meridien Hotels in probably 20+ countries alone. This was by far the worst experience I have had yet. The hotel is very nice, but overpriced. Technically this hotel hasn't opened yet, and when I called Starwood to complain they had no idea they were operating partially open. This is an issue to me because if they are doing a soft opening, you should get a great rate while they work out the kinks. They were painting the hall outside my room (paint fumes). There was construction dust everywhere, and so on. The hotel staff doesn't seem to know what they should be doing. As another reviewer mentioned, the concierge has no idea what's going on. The concierge had no pamphlets, maps to offer, or suggestions of things to do in the area. I don't even know why they had a concierge desk. The bar/restaurant is nice but the food is nothing to write home about but relatively fairly priced for a hotel lobby restaurant. I originally booked here (besides Starwood loyalty) because people mentioned it was in a good location. After visiting Panama City, I learned it doesn't matter where your hotel is, you have to cab it anywhere anyway (and cabs are cheap).

I guess what made this hotel stay a bad experience was even though I was staying with my girlfriend, I booked the hotel for one person in the room. When I showed up with my girlfriend they had the audacity to charge me 44 bucks extra/night. When I told Starwood this they were in disbelief as the rate is never affected by two people in a hotel room (unless you are at an all-inclusive resort). I am trying to get my money refunded for that now. Also, the hotel kept wanting payment for stuff as my stay progressed. I think they must have swiped my card 4 times during my stay. They also hired me a cab and quoted me a rate that was extremely expensive (as I later found out) but the final straw was when I went to pay the rate wasn't even what I had to pay, it was way more money.

Avoid this hotel. It is a disgrace to Le Meridien.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank andrewpartyman

Reviewed September 9, 2009

So, upon arrival front desk seemed to be confused. The service is very good, probably because at any given point there are about 12 people standing around. The hotel is very trendy, great location. Only the first and second floor seemed to be open out of 6. The lounge is a hot spot, again very good service at restaurant and lounge. The problem seems to be in working out the kinks of being a new hotel. The spa was not open. The pool furniture still had plastic on it. Everyday we noticed a new item in our room, such as a room service menu, or channel guide. The hotel is still putting the rooms together on higher floors but we did not hear any disturbances. The bathroom had a clear glass partition that is strange while having 2 queen size beds. The person you are with is able to see u showering and using the bathroom. The water was shut off at one point. The shower did not drain. The toilet overflowed. There were probably about 10 other people staying at the hotel, but it is a new hotel and rather expensive at $380 a night for a regular room. The concierge does not have much knowledge on things to do in the area.
Again the location is great, right next to nightlife, restaurants. About 15 mins from panama canal and Amador Causeway. To Portobello or Colon about an hour and 15 mins. I hope the hotel is able to function properly b/c it would be a great hotel. Until then I dont know about recommending this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends