“Wish I stayed longer”
Review of Le Meridien Panama

Le Meridien Panama
Ranked #9 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was in Panama City on business and decided to take in a bit more of the city on the weekend. I spent Saturday night at this hotel, and wish I had stayed longer! I was on my own at that point (solo female), and the hotel staff made me feel completely safe (and made sure I was safe and in good hands on my solo excursions). Thank you to the staff - this was priceless. They gave me peace of mind and allowed me to enjoy my stay even more!

The gentleman who checked me in was courteous and efficient, and made me feel at home instantly. They upgraded me to one of the suites, which was wonderful! There was a separate living room – complete with what looked like designer chairs, couch, coffee table and tv. The bedroom (king bed) had its own tv, and the bed was super-comfortable. The bathroom was huge - separate shower stall and bathtub (I did indulge), two sinks and marble everywhere. Just fantastic! I can’t remember what toiletries they use, but I liked it.

The hotel is in a good location. It’s close to the financial companies. There are a whole bunch of restaurants just behind the hotel. The “city route” hop-on/hop-off bus stop is about 15-20 minutes away (walking). You have to cross the road to get to the path by the water. Make sure you cross at a traffic light.

There is a pool behind the hotel, but seemed like it never got any sun. I’m not a pool person, or a sun-bather, so this part didn’t bother me at all.

When in Panama City, make sure you go to the Panama Canal, Casco Viejo, the mountain (forgot the name, but great views of the city), and old Panama.

Highly recommend this hotel.

Happy travels!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Boris D, Manager at Le Meridien Panama, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

We appreciate all your comments and the time taken to evaluate our services and property.

There are newer reviews for Le Meridien Panama

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed not too long ago at the Le Meridien. The hotel is nice and contemporary however it does lack a few things. The pool on the 6th floor has the most amazing views of the city, however the days we were there it was so windy that we could not enjoy it. The gym is a nice feature with great views of the Marina. There is no beach nearby to enjoy so, if you are wanting to stay somewhere in Panama City, you should book elsewhere. There isn't much activity going on at the hotel, so it is hard trying to find something to do.

The hotel food was not as great. Breakfast was better then the rest of the room service meals. The hotel pillows have very little volume. I was stacking all four pillows and still found my head almost reaching the mattress. Also, the rooms facing the Marina get a lot of traffic noise for outside. Every night we could hear something go on from the busy street below and people playing music in the park. If you are a light sleeper like us, I wouldn't suggest this hotel. In the morning, you can hear all the buses and boats honking their horns, which could get a bit annoying when you are trying to rest.

I heard from others at the hotel that the spa is a great feature. I did not get a chance to experience this.

In general, service in Panama, just about anywhere we went seemed to take forever to bring us food or seek to our help. The best part of the hotel was that the young gentlemen at the front were very kind and helpful.

Room Tip: Don't pick a room facing the marina/ocean, there are too much street noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank MattandAriana
Boris D, Manager at Le Meridien Panama, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Reviewed April 10, 2013

The concierge service was not helpful what-so-ever and because of their lack of helping, I wasn't able to take a 1/2 day Canal tour with my family. They concierge pushed for a "car service" (sounded like a friend of his) to drive us around instead of using the canal tour companies that exist there.
Hotel was good and new, lobby music is way too loud.
Also, the dark marble and mirrored walls made it hard to see and one of my family members walked into a wall because of the poor design. It's not a disco, it's a hotel lobby.
Rooms were great, housekeeping was great.

Room Tip: Good Rooms facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bobsell4
Boris D, Manager at Le Meridien Panama, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

We apologize for not having met your expectations and appreciate your comments

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We just returned from a 3-night stay at this hotel. The rooms are clean with modern decor. We had an ocean view, but the expressway is right in front of the hotel too, which can be loud at times. Actually, the only time you can really hear all of the street noise is when you are on the 6th floor where the pool is located. Otherwise, the noise level from our room was insignificant.
The pool on the 6th floor is small, but it is a smaller hotel, so it never felt too crowded. The sun may not shine right on the pool until 11am, but there is a lot of room out there to move your lounge chair to get some sun.
The Clarins Sensory Spa is clean and nice and not that expensive for a hotel spa. But it was basically worth what you pay for and not more. It is a smaller spa with very friendly and helpful staff but I wasn't wowed by my 75 minute therapeutic massage.
The doormen were actually more helpful than the concierge/front desk staff. If you are willing to spend a little more for a hotel taxi, do so because they generally speak English and can give you a better tour and idea of where to go and what to see.
We were told by the front desk that it takes a good hour + to get to the Gamboa rainforest, but was informed by our knowledgeable and friendly driver that we could get there in 30-45 minutes (without traffic) and he could come back later to pick us up. I was discouraged by the front desk to take this excursion but regret not going after finding out that is was not as far as we thought. Overall, an excellent experience at this hotel with friendly customer service but don't count on the front desk for being much help when planning your excursions.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

The information you provided is very valuable for us. We constantly provide training to improve our customer services and this information will assist us improve on those areas. We are pleased that your overall evaluation of our hotel was good and we are sure that during your next visit to our hotel you will see the changes in the areas you mentioned.
Thanks for your comments and compliments, if you have any further questions or suggestions please don’t hesitate to contact me at any time

Best regards

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Good to be back. The hotel staff look after you and really make you feel welcome.
I am Platinum starwood and hotel gave me a suite upgrade straight away.
The hotel is in a good spot, you can walk to the cinema and shopping centre.
The club lounge is ok, good range of alcohol, but the food choices are average.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jtwmusic
Boris D, Manager at Le Meridien Panama, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed at Le Meridien-Panama twice, a little over 1 week apart in March of 2013. After our first stay I made a point to let them know about a few different issues having to do with customer service and staffing levels.

When we returned 8 days later we found the service in the restaurant to be significantly improved.

This is such a nice little hotel, and the Le Meridien brand stands for quality. It was refreshing to see management take my comments to heart and make the needed improvements quickly and completely. I'll stay there again when the opportunity arises. -- mws --

Room Tip: This is a small hotel with only a few floors of rooms. The rooms facing the Cinta Costera have a ni...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Boris D, Manager at Le Meridien Panama, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Very good location, the room is spacious and the king bed is very nice. Pillows are very good. This is a business hotel, breakfast is included in the rate as is variated and very good quality. Price is high.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

We appreciate all your comments and the time taken to evaluate our services and property; this will help us in order to improve our quality standards and to provide you with excellent customer service.
Thank you, and hope to have you back in a near future