“Terrible. Do yourself a favor and find another hotel.”
Review of Le Meridien Panama

Le Meridien Panama
Ranked #7 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Terrible service. Belligerent, rude staff who insinuated we were crazy for complaining that the food at the restaurant was stale and cold and basically turned their noses on us and said that "all the social networks had announced the menu beforehand".

Panama is filled with amazing hotels with much better service, especially boutique hotels. Find another one. This one is ridiculously expensive with subpar food and abysmal service. So no worth the price.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Kmmon2012
Boris D, Manager at Le Meridien Panama, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

We apologize for not having met your expectations and thanks for your comments

Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel has an excellent location at the corner of Balboa and Uruguay which places it in walking distance of many good restaurants, bars and nightclubs nearby. Surprisingly, the hotel is a small portion of a large residential building comprising of just a handful of floors in what looks like a 40 story high-rise. It is nicely decorated in modern style but the fit and materials seem cheaper than expected for a Le Meridien.

The room had a nice view of the harbour. It was large, clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. There was plenty of storage space and shelving which made unpacking easy. The bathroom was nice and had a shower that was glassed in (frosted) and visible from the rest of the room very much like seen in the Le Germain hotels in Canada.

The pool was very small. The gym was simple but adequate and always empty when we went.

Wifi is not included but when we extended our stay by one day, they gave it to us free for the
last day. There is a business office that has internet access that is open during daytime hours.

The staff were friendly, helpful and accommodating. We would consider returning on future trips to Panama.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Boris D, Manager at Le Meridien Panama, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

We appreciate all your comments and the time taken to evaluate our services and property.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was excited to stay at Le Meridien in Panama and overall the hotel did not disappoint. It's in a great location, right next to the Cinta Costera (Pacific Ocean). In 15 minutes, you can even walk to the Casco Antiguo. The rooms are beautiful with modern amenities and a nice bathroom (and a huge shower). I was most impressed by the staff, as they knew me by name and greeted me each time I came and went. Even the doormen knew me. I thought this was impressive and made my stay more warm & welcoming. The 6th floor has a small (but nice) pool and an area to sit and read/eat/relax overlooking the ocean.

The only slight negative was the concierge; there didn't seem to be anyone permanently on duty and overall, I didn't find those I spoke with to be too helpful. In recommendating activity options, I got the feeling I was being played - since everything quoted seemed very overpriced to me. I found speaking with the reception staff casually about what I wanted to do was more helpful and they gave unbiased advice.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed December 28, 2012

My mom is from Colon and I have family in Panama. I have stayed in several hotels in Panama and this is for sure one of the best for cleanliness and location. What I liked best about the hotel is its location. Best part is you can walk to several restaurants on Calle Uruguay. I recommend "Don Blas" restaurant where you can get an authentic and very inexpensive breakfast. It's an easy 5 minute walk from the hotel. Not far away you can also walk to "Tinajas" (about 15-20 minutes depending on how fast you walk) restaurant where you can get local Panamanian Cuisine and enjoy the Ballet Folklorico. Valet parking is free. And the big plus is that the hotel is right on Avenida Balboa allowing you to drive onto Calle Uruguay and then drop your car with the valet -- easy in and easy out; and then you can drive to any other point in Panama. Some of the other streets a little bit closer into the center of the city are extremely congested and you wouldn't want to get in that mess on a weekday... So for that reason I would not recommended any of the other hotels. I did walk over to the Marriott, the Hilton Garden Inn, the El Panama (which is desperate need of a renovation -- the marquis isn't even turned on), and I would choose Meridien over these. As for the hotel itself the pool is located on the 6th floor outside and its very noisey being right on the corner of Avenida Balboa -- so if you want a quiet relaxing poolside vacation, this is not the place to be. I must say, however, that the rooms themselves are well sound guarded so you really cannot hear much of the traffic from Avenida Balboa. And at the same time, if you stay on the Avenida Balboa side, you'll get one of the best views of the Panama Skyline looking toward Paitilla and Punto Pacifico. Staff is very very friendly and personable. If you choose to have a drink in the bar or the restaurant, I think you'll like it, although there aren't many people there. I recommend, instead, just walking down the street to one of the many bars and excellent restaurants. The only reason I did not give it a "5" is that it's a relatively small hotel with not a lot of add'l amenities... so you wouldn't expect to spend a lot of time here outside of your room or at the pool.

Room Tip: The third floor facing the water has "curved" windows in the room - which doesn't make...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Terrenceyoung

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Good business hotel. The room was large, clean and comfortable, service was also good.
Will return to this hotel in my next business trips to Panama City. Breakfast is ok and dinner at the ground floor restaurant is good quality.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is the place to be in Panama.
Great hotel, modern, perfect location, amazing staff and service, chic ambiance, food to die for, state of the art spa facilities. Escape to this treasure when you come to Panama. Business or pleasure , it is perfect.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

I was good for me because I stayed there with a gift certificate a friend gave me. But of course if I have had to pay It might would have been different. My double room was perfect, with fantastic views and quiet. I didn't like that they charged me for the wifi, wifi is free in other hotels; the service at the front desk was ok, girls were polite though they sometimes over asked me questions, it was the same situation in the restaurant when I went for my breakfast. They seemed nervious because when I got in no one was at the door and they forgot to ask me for my room number. Thay should have just asked me once for my room number and/or card and that would had been it. Breakfast was really good.
One thing I didn't like was when they nocked my door and woke me up at exactly 11:10 to ask me if I had taken or consumed any product of those they had in the room. I now he wanted to clean my room and let me know I was close to my checking out time (12 o'clock).
The deco is really outstanding and the place looks good.

• Stayed: October 2012