“Best Panama City Location”
Review of Le Meridien Panama

Le Meridien Panama
Ranked #7 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My mom is from Colon and I have family in Panama. I have stayed in several hotels in Panama and this is for sure one of the best for cleanliness and location. What I liked best about the hotel is its location. Best part is you can walk to several restaurants on Calle Uruguay. I recommend "Don Blas" restaurant where you can get an authentic and very inexpensive breakfast. It's an easy 5 minute walk from the hotel. Not far away you can also walk to "Tinajas" (about 15-20 minutes depending on how fast you walk) restaurant where you can get local Panamanian Cuisine and enjoy the Ballet Folklorico. Valet parking is free. And the big plus is that the hotel is right on Avenida Balboa allowing you to drive onto Calle Uruguay and then drop your car with the valet -- easy in and easy out; and then you can drive to any other point in Panama. Some of the other streets a little bit closer into the center of the city are extremely congested and you wouldn't want to get in that mess on a weekday... So for that reason I would not recommended any of the other hotels. I did walk over to the Marriott, the Hilton Garden Inn, the El Panama (which is desperate need of a renovation -- the marquis isn't even turned on), and I would choose Meridien over these. As for the hotel itself the pool is located on the 6th floor outside and its very noisey being right on the corner of Avenida Balboa -- so if you want a quiet relaxing poolside vacation, this is not the place to be. I must say, however, that the rooms themselves are well sound guarded so you really cannot hear much of the traffic from Avenida Balboa. And at the same time, if you stay on the Avenida Balboa side, you'll get one of the best views of the Panama Skyline looking toward Paitilla and Punto Pacifico. Staff is very very friendly and personable. If you choose to have a drink in the bar or the restaurant, I think you'll like it, although there aren't many people there. I recommend, instead, just walking down the street to one of the many bars and excellent restaurants. The only reason I did not give it a "5" is that it's a relatively small hotel with not a lot of add'l amenities... so you wouldn't expect to spend a lot of time here outside of your room or at the pool.

Room Tip: The third floor facing the water has "curved" windows in the room - which doesn't make...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Terrenceyoung
Boris D, Manager at Le Meridien Panama, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

We appreciate all your comments and the time taken to evaluate our services and property.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Good business hotel. The room was large, clean and comfortable, service was also good.
Will return to this hotel in my next business trips to Panama City. Breakfast is ok and dinner at the ground floor restaurant is good quality.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is the place to be in Panama.
Great hotel, modern, perfect location, amazing staff and service, chic ambiance, food to die for, state of the art spa facilities. Escape to this treasure when you come to Panama. Business or pleasure , it is perfect.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

I was good for me because I stayed there with a gift certificate a friend gave me. But of course if I have had to pay It might would have been different. My double room was perfect, with fantastic views and quiet. I didn't like that they charged me for the wifi, wifi is free in other hotels; the service at the front desk was ok, girls were polite though they sometimes over asked me questions, it was the same situation in the restaurant when I went for my breakfast. They seemed nervious because when I got in no one was at the door and they forgot to ask me for my room number. Thay should have just asked me once for my room number and/or card and that would had been it. Breakfast was really good.
One thing I didn't like was when they nocked my door and woke me up at exactly 11:10 to ask me if I had taken or consumed any product of those they had in the room. I now he wanted to clean my room and let me know I was close to my checking out time (12 o'clock).
The deco is really outstanding and the place looks good.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel several weeks ago on a pleasure trip. I highly recommend this hotel because of the service, friendly people, clean and everything you may want while staying away from home. We had a room with a view to the water and the views were very nice. Internet service was also good. While our stay we met the general manager who was very attentive and with a great personality. This is good place to stay when traveling to Panama City and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms with a water view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 27, 2012

The old adage that a first impression lasts a lifetime certainly came true at this property. We checked in on a Sunday evening for a week of meetings in the city. The two ladies at the front desk were far from friendly & really, almost hostile.

We were upgraded to a Gold suite (had to ask for it) which had views of the ocean. No mention of how noisy it gets on that side of the hotel starting at 5 am w/ the morning commute! If you're looking for peace & quiet, this is probably not your best choice.

The next morning, we went down for breakfast & left quite disappointed. Food on the buffet was stale, the service was lousy & they couldn't follow simple directions of how we wanted our omelets. We only made this mistake once! There's a good spot a block away called Don Blas that became our mainstay for breakfast.

The only redeeming qualities of this hotel is that it is centrally located, but again, w/ lots of noise & congestion. The gold suite was nicely appointed but the walls are paper thin. The bellmen & housekeeping staff were highlights. Front desk & servers in the restaurant...horrible.

As for the front desk & servers, it almost seemed like we were uninvited guests staying at their club. Truly like no other Starwood property I've ever visited. At checkout, there was a mistake on my bill & when I pointed it out, the woman got somewhat testy, until she realized that it was in fact an errant charge. Not even a "thank you for staying w/ us!"

Lastly, if you're counting on reliable technology, go somewhere else! Internet service was unreliable & I called up their IT folks at least five times to get me back online. Cable TV service was even down our last couple of days & when I called about it, I was told that it was down in the general area. Simply not true since all the bars in the immediate area had functioning TV's.

I'm really not sure how/why this place can call itself a Starwood cat 5 hotel. It simply falls far short of what I expect from that sort of property. Next month, I'll be trying the Riu, Trump or Hard Rock.

Room Tip: Room facing south (pacific) are VERY noisy. Not sure its any better on the other sides given the co...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mankatsd
Boris D, Manager at Le Meridien Panama, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

We apologize for not having met your expectations and thanks for your comments

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is about two blocks from our office in Panama. It's nice, clean, modern, edgy and definitely a good place to stay for busines or pleasure. The beds are comfortable and make sure that you get a room that has a great view of the water. You'll see ships moored in the bay waiting for their turn to transit the Canal. The Canal, of course, is a must see when you are in Panama. The visitors' center at Miraflores Locks is the place to go. As others have noted there are good places to eat that are an easy walk from the hotel. The area is safe and you need not be concerned about walking around the neighborhood.

The buffet breakfast is included with the room and has a decent selection of eggs, pastries, fruit and cereal. Not the best buffet that you will ever find, but certainly acceptable when you consider that it is part of the room charge.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business