“Good option for Panamanian food”
Review of El Trapiche

El Trapiche
Ranked #22 of 1,094 Restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: Latin, Central American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: At El Trapiche we specialize in Panamanian traditional cuisine since 1983. Our mission is to provide our guests with the best examples of our culinary traditions in a relaxed, casual atmosphere.
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My family ate here twice during our stay in Panama because the food was tasty, inexpensive, and convenient. Both times I ordered different sampler platters, and everything was delicious. These turned out to be great ways to try a lot of different dishes.

The only downside was the noise. One night we sat outside, and the outdoor seating is right a long Via Argentina, a loud street. The other night we sat inside, where there were a number of families with small children (not the restaurant's fault, obviously) and the door to the kitchen kept slamming loudly as servers walked in and out.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,279)

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I am Panamanian married to a Canadian and I know what im talking about The food here is amazing. You wont go wrong by coming to this place for breakfast lunch or dinner. Its location is perfect, a very busy street (via argentina) lots of tourist walking around, tons of shops and a nice a little park to people watch. Order the sancocho, which is our traditional version of a chicken soup and a guarapo ( sugar cane juice) trust me, you will be blown away. Now when people think of latinamerican food, they think Mexican spicy food, so if you like very spicy and extreme flavors, this is not your place. Panamanian food is very mild in flavors and textures but very tasty, give it a try!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I was rather eager to try some corvina since i had read so much about it. I pleased to report that it was very good!!! My son got it also but with a thicker garlic sauce. I am so glad that we were able to visit this restaurant in El Cangrejo. We had a fabulous "flan" for dessert too. The atmosphere was vibrant (mainly due to the fact that everyone was watching Panama playing Costa Rica in "futbol") and it added to the cultural experience.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Located on the restaurant strip of Via Argentina. Simple but evocative decor, waiters wear straw hats and big smiles. Weekly specials are a great deal,and prices overall are quite reasonable. Indoor/ outdoor seating. Try the sancocho (chicken soup), fried plantains (yum!), and ropa viejo (meat stew). Highly recommended.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Excellent, inexpensive, Panama food. We had the "tour" sampling plate and it had a little of everything. The soup was fantastic, and the waiter was very friendly and spoke English.