“If you love walk around it is not the place, but the value is OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bahia Suites Hotel

Bahia Suites Hotel
Ranked #96 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Quito, Ecuador
“If you love walk around it is not the place, but the value is OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

It is an old facilitie with the fifth floor refurbished, and the sixth in process. I stayed for a week, two nights in 2nd floor, not good room, very low wifi signal, old forniture, bit I request to change to the 5fth floor and stayed for five days in a confortable room with permanent wifi conection and renovated forniture and bettet TV & AC.
The location in middle downtown is not good, because you can not found any restaurant or other activities. The entertainment is located 20 streets far and you can walk safely at evening or night. In this situation I recommend use a cab and in special the cab guy called Jose Pandales who can give you nice city tours, he is working outside of the hotel.(picture attached to this review).
Restaurant food & prices are really good in comparission with others. The staff is really gentle but they do not spesk english.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Willmar01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

The pictures from booking.com and hotel.com were not representative of the rooms. It also had a 4-star reviewing rating, which I don't get. The rooms are not comfortable, poor air conditioning, musty, low-quality beds and scratchy bedding. The breakfast was decent. One of the staff members would not allow my guest who arrived the day after me, into the room although she had the reservation number and they knew there were 2 to the room. This was inappropriate. Plus, some staff member called 3 times in a row at 11:30pm accusing me of not paying a dinner bill for a meal I didn't have. I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sonia P

Travelers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Melbourne Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

I booked this room blind for a good rate around $56 a night. I stayed three nights due to my pre-booking. Not well-mantained, need new bedding, new beds, and an overall makeover. Very out-of date, and in a sketchy neighborhood at night. Felt pretty safe considering, close to a ghetto, breakfast ,decent, but I would not stay here again, unless I had to. Pool, very small, and restaurant staff not very attentive. Do not stay here as a tourist.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank AngelakaCoralSkies
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Let me begin by saying this was my first trip to Panama and I'm American as a bit of background. I got a great Expedia rate on this at $49 a night and really wasn't expecting much. I also do not speak Spanish (oops, would have helped in Panama City). I've stayed in some pretty 2 to 3 star hotels in SE Asia in this price range. This is a 2.5 Star IMHO.

The Good: I wanted to be close to Casco Viejo and the Canal for a day of touring which this place foot the bill. I $2 taxi ride to Casco was a nice option since it's a bit far to walk given the sort of sketchy neighborhood (females, please do not walk alone at night--take the taxi). It also had a pool and the front desk was helpful even though I don't speak spanish. Pool looked decent but I did not put the Speedo on (ha ha).

The not so Good: one reason I picked this hotel is I wanted to use the gym before jumping on another plane to Bocas del Toro. The "state of the art" fitness center was practically unusable. Basically as hazard waiting to happen. Then again how many folks use a gym on a trip? I'm odd I realized. Neighborhood was a bit rough and lots of "folks" sort of hanging out outside. No one really bothered me however so maybe I'm a bit critical here.

I wanted to see the Canal and the front desk arrange for a taxi driver who spoke excellent english to give me that tour and then some + drop me off at the domestic airport close by. He (Freddie) did not disappoint. All for a total of $30 dollars. Great tip so I would use Freddie if possible.

attached is a pic of the front and the room. Met my basic needs.
Cheers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Trip advisor tore this place up, but I found it to be just fine. The roof-top is a nice place to have a meal and drinks. The food was much better than I expected (again because of TripAdvisor reviews). The breakfast is good, and the dinner meals where surprisingly good.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Captsalmon
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

From looking at the photos online, and reading some of the negative reviews about this place, I honestly expected worse.

I stayed here for one night with my girlfriend, and immediately I noticed how well maintained the entire hotel was. Like I said, from reading all the reviews, I had the impression that this hotel was bad shape.

We stayed in a room, with a view of the ocean, and a private Jacuzzi. The room was very clean, and the bed was comfortable. Each room has AC and there is running hot water throughout the entire building. In total we paid $79, for 2 people, which included a complimentary buffet breakfast, on the roof, for the both of us.

From the moment we walked in to the moment we left we were treated very well by all the staff.

This place was an excellent value for the money we spent.

I recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to stay in a comfortable, clean and safe place, and who doesn't mind staying in a hotel that isn't 5 star.

Room Tip: Building has 6 floors. Rooms looking south will have a view of the ocean. I recommend getting a room...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank darias82
Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Overall, the hotel was clean and adequate, but about what one might expect from a hotel designed more for Central/South-American locals than American tourists,. It's definitely not a "tourist" hotel.

First, the good:

The hotel is clean, safe and the staff is helpful and friendly. The restaurant on the roof is surprisingly good as is the breakfast. The pool on the roof is nice, but it's more of a "soaking" pool than a "swimming" one.

Security is good. (There's an armed guard at the door at night)

On the other hand ...

The broken tiles on the floor of our shower really hurt when we stepped on them. I'm still trying to figure out how a really large beetle found its way into the shower. (I named it "Bailey.")

The Internet WiFi connection was iffy. The routers are in the hall, but the construction of the hotel is so solid that the signal could not enter our room. We were not the only ones sitting in the hall to connect to the Internet. I never could get a connection in the rooftop restaurant and pool area. The password they supplied didn't work. I think the staff could not handle the concept of simply "rebooting a router."

"Bahía" is Spanish for "bay," yet the hotel is a substantial distance from the hotel ... and access to the beach is difficult due to the construction of the Metro, i.e. "underground" or "subway" next to the hotel.

Despite the "Suites" in the name, the hotel is mostly just rooms.

The keys for the electronic door locks have no hint as to how to insert them. (the visible chip must be upwards and inserted into the lock.)

There are two computers in the restaurant for guest use. One of them actually worked. On the working one, the 'a' key on the keyboard stuck. Likewise, the keyboard was the Spanish layout, but the computer resolutely insisted on treating it as a U.S. variety.

There's an automatic clothes-washing machine for guests. It never worked in the five days we stayed, although every day, the staff promised it would be fixed. (Mañana)

If you don't speak Spanish and you don't find it exhilarating to try to converse with people who don't speak your language, you might consider a different choice. (The television set has satellite service, but all in Spanish.)

Room Tip: Shop on a booking service ahead of time. The posted room prices in the lobby are totally unrealistic...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family