“Terrible location, horrible hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Bahia Suites Hotel

Bahia Suites Hotel
Ranked #96 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Sao Paulo, SP
“Terrible location, horrible hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

Terrible location. The rooms are old, dated, dark and dirty. The linens are dirty and smell bad, lowest quality and full of hairs... Don't stay there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank sucandi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

This place was TERRIBLE! We reserved it online and were only spending one night. I emailed with a question and never got a response. We arrived: the front desk staff was rude. They tried to take advantage of us and give us a room on the first floor. The room was not clean, the sheets had NOT BEEN CHANGED. We complained, they moved us to a clean"er" room, but still only the first floor. I think we are lucky we didn't get bed bugs. The neighborhood is sketchy too, don't walk around, take a cab. The only saving grace was a half decent breakfast on the roof with a nice view around the city. BUT, that doesn't change that this place is nasty and overpriced. After this, we stayed at a much nicer and clean place for $25 less, in a nice neighborhood.
Disliked:

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 8090

Travelers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2011

Stayed Feb. 18-22 Hotel was clean and the front desk was helpful. I don't speak Spanish and had little difficulty with my requests.
Food and liquor prices were reasonable.
Breakfast was included but not that good. The chopped up hot dogs need to go.
Good wi-fi on the first floor.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank bruceba
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2010

I should have listened to the negative reviews...but being an optimistic person and curious about the location and views from the rooftop pool/restaurant, I opted to try this place out for my last night in Panama City before flying home the next morning.

The girl at the front desk was rude from the start (you could tell she'd rather be somewhere else) and was not truthful about the rates (I was quoted a cheaper rate online, but she said they NEVER accept less than the $69 min. per night (it was $55 through Travelocity if booked far in advance). I didn't argue with her since it was late and needed to catch my flight at 8am the next morning.

The room was very dark, no-frills, outdated decor, uncomfortable bed with foam-ball pillows. The electricity only comes on after inserting the room entry-card into a slot (very tacky!!) The AC unit was noisy and even on full power - never completely cooled the room.I tried my best to keep a good attitude as I rode the painfully slow elevator to the top floor (the stairs are much faster - but LOOK OUT! the door opens right into the path of the elevator opening and you'll knock someone to the floor if you open too quickly!).

The view from the roof is awesome but the food in the so-called "restaurant" was terrible. I should have known better not to order anything when I saw a woman choke down (with a scowl on her face) a plate of fried fish with greasy fries. I ordered an egg sandwich (I mean, how can you screw that up...right?) Well - they screwed it up with flying colors!! It consisted of one deeply fried egg, salted to the max with the whitest tomato and lettuce I'd ever seen, served on giant French bread that was far too tough and dry to eat. As I picked out my two bites of egg (which was the only edible thing there), a waitress smiled and said, "muy bien" as she walked by (yes, I thought - $3.50 for a salty, fried egg). I washed it down with a Panama beer, paid my bill ($5.50 for an egg and a beer) and said "hasta luego" to the restaurant staff (who also looked as though they'd rather have been somewhere else).

I don't consider myself a "high-maintenance traveler" but come on! If you're going to charge premium prices for your hotel - give it some value and customer service. 95% of the Panamanians I encountered on this trip were wonderful (which is much of the reason why I love this country) but this place "ain't where it's at!

I stayed at The Costa Inn just down Peru Ave. the year before and felt right at home (and at $55 per night). I remember the staff being friendly and beds/pillows being comfortable (no complaints). I'll be staying there next time!

Again, the only way I'd set foot in this place again is to see the view from the roof and maybe order a beer - then quickly leave.

Happy travels!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank itsJames
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2010

I found this hotel online about 2 months prior to my vacation in Panama. I made a reservation through a third party website, otel.com. They advertised this hotel at $69.99 per night for a double room with jacuzzi so I reserved for 7 nights. Two weeks prior to my vacation date, November 20, 2010, I contacted the hotel directly to confirm my reservation, including all details of the room, jacuzzi, etc. I received an email confirmation from the hotel manager, stating that my reservation was confirmed and would be honored. When I arrived at the hotel at 8pm thinking that I wouldn´t have any problems, the front desk told me that the reservation would only be honored if I accepted a single bed room with no jacuzzi as they didn´t have any double jacuzzi rooms available. I questioned this, explaining that I had confirmed with the manager, even showing her the email on my blackberry. The receptionist called someone and got back to me to tell me there was nothing they could do. I was very upset as the customer service was very rude and didn´t even try to honor what was previously confirmed by the manager. I had to go out at that time to look for a last minute hotel. All hotels seemed full...but after an hour of searching, I finally found one that had a room available but just for that one night. My second day of vacation I had to seek a hotel to stay at for the rest of the vacation. I emailed the manager the following day, with a forward of the email she had sent me confirming the reservation, and explaining my experience at her hotel but she never acknowledged it. I will NEVER try Bahia Suites and don´t recommend anyone making reservations as they do not honor them. Very disappointed.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MaraBoricua
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2010

We stayed here during our trip to Panama and were less than impressed. The hotel is fairly clean but dark and cold - it felt somewhat like a convent. The main issue, however, was the sleeping accommodations (which are pretty important since you go to a hotel to sleep) The beds were SO hard and the pillows were basically air. Maybe thinner! The pool and such was fine but not busy and the restaurant was a complete rip-off). I find it difficult to believe this is ranked so high on trip advisor to be honest as the location is miserable. Sure, cabs are only $2 but it is still a pretty rough neighborhood to walk around in. I was there with my blond sister and she got screamed at repeatedly which is surely no fault of the hotels but speaks to the location.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank glk16
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

The Bahia to say the least was a nice hotel/motel. The decor is modern and the grounds are clean. It seemed to be respected well by the locals and tourist from other Spanish countries. I must say that speaking fluent Spanish will put some of the anxiety at ease here. If you cannot speak and understand Spanish don’t stay here. The staff is very friendly, but the service at the onsite restaurant and bar is very slow. The food was average offering local food, along with some American items, like cheeseburger and fries. The breakfast buffet was complimentary and it was also average offering some fresh fruit, toast, hard boiled eggs, porridge, and hotdogs, which they call sausages. The best deal was the setting which was rooftop dining with spectacular views of the ships lining the canal and the new skyscrapers in the area. A small pool is also located on the roof. We did not swim there.
Our room was the king bed Premium suite, w/ a jetted tub which was located oddly in the side of the room right in front of a vey large window. The bed had thin blankets. There is an a/c unit is in the room. All the electricity in the room turns on when a room key is inserted into the wall. I loved the shower, the water poured out and it was very hot. The staff cleans the rooms daily. Oh yea, bring a wash cloth, they are not provided. There was always this heavy odor, like a combination of cleaning products, steam, and washing detergent that filled the hallways.
We walk during the day once down to the ocean front which was only 2 blocks away, and it felt pretty safe. I wouldn’t walk anywhere after dark in this area. The hotel is also staffed 24 hours a day with armed security that stays outside on guard. Security was very helpful as well and had no problem helping to flag down a taxi for you. Taxis are only $3 dollars, unless you go really far out of the city. They attempted to charge us $10.00 to drive over to Amador which was a 10-15 minute taxi ride, and we negotiated 6.00 dollars at the end. Overall, we learned to appreciate the comfort and home type feeling that this hotel offered, but I would not stay here again. My travel pillow came up missing the day before we checked out, I assumed it was pick-up in the linen by mistake and would be returned, but all housecleaners said they seen it in the room, and have no idea what happened to the item.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple