“Lovely place with a cat”
Review of Dos Palmitos

Dos Palmitos
Ranked #7 of 79 Panama City B&B and Inns
Santiago, Chile
“Lovely place with a cat”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night. The place is great, in a quiet nieghborhood, fantastic breakfast with homemade yogurt, and nicely appointed rooms. Angelina really helps out with taxis and tours. I included the cat in the title, because there is no mention of animals on the website, and I am very allergic. The cat actually doesnt live in the hotel itself, but will sneak in from time to time--two times during my stay. Even so I was still sneezing and itching my eyes the whole time (as I said I am very allergic). Highly recommend the place for anyone without allergies.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hbrown91
telma58, General Manager at Dos Palmitos, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
I am sorry to read that a cat that tried to enter the guest' living room spoiled the one night stay at Dos Palmitos, of this lady.
Let me assure our future guests. Animals are not allowed in the bnb because we know that people may have allergies. But we are in the tropics, and doors are frequently open.
We always disinfect the rooms and the beds after every stay. Our guests often go to Bocas del Toro or San Blas where there are a lot of sand flies. Inadvertently guests can bring sand in on their shoes or bags. We therefore always ask people to leave their shoes and stuff at the door and clean them. The last thing we want is bed bugs.
Our bnb however is situated in the green part of Panama city and we have the tropical rain forest in our back yard. Tropical birds, agoutis, deer, slots or iguanas may cross our garden to the delight of our guests. It is a pity that the sight of a cat is costing us points.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ottawa
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The room was perfect (clean, air conditioned), the breakfast was fresh and very tasty, there was a great sitting area, and a computer for your use (and/or wi-fi for your own devices). The owner was very helpful and friendly.

The only downside here is something completely out of the owner's control, and that's the location. While it is easy to many places via cab, including casco viejo and the domestic airport, there is only one restaurant within walking distance. If that doesn't bother you, then stay here for sure! It's a great place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 3, 2013

If you like staying away from the crowds and having a home away from home assisted by a very capable manager, this is an outstanding choice. Angeline, the owner/manager is superb in assisting her guests in their plans and goes out of her way to help them. Angeline is intelligent, thoughtful and feels responsible for her guests. The rooms are modest in size but they are very well maintained and the bathrooms are quite modern. Breakfast was homemade and excellent. If you liked you could sit on the terrace and meet and interact with the other guests staying there For both of the day trips we planned, the touring company picked us up at this location. At least two of the groups of guests staying during our time there were repeat customers.

Room Tip: The blue room is in the front hasa king size bed and is a slightly bigger room. You could have a tad...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travel3055
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Can't say enough good things about this place. The location is excellent, in the city but in the country. Four rooms at the base of acon hill, close to the causeway, the albrook mall, and the national airport (for David, Bocas, San Blas, etc). As good as the location is, the owner, Angeline is the main reason to go. She is a gentle, genuinely good person. She arranged for an EARLY morning (4:45 am) taxi for us to the airport, got up before us to prepare coffee and provided fruit for breakfast before returning to bed to get up for work later that morning. We had a very similiar experience with our stay last year (minus the early morning flight) thus the reason for our return. The rooms are bright, colorful and very tasteful with an excellent shower.

Don't hesitate to book this location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank juno80503
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed here two nights. The room was nice. We loved the location - it was a quiet spot but very easy to drive or take a taxi wherever you wanted to go. The breakfasts were amazing - overwhelming amounts of delicious homemade food. I highly recommend the empanadas and the banana pancakes!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Dos Palmitos came as a very pleasant surprise. Firstly, my host Angeline (merci beacoup encore) was very hospitable and accommodating. She answered all my questions honestly and assisted me with planning my itineraries the entire time I was there. She's also quite a cook--everything she served to guests was homemade. Secondly, I was very pleased with the cleanliness, maintenance, and amenities of my room and the house itself. I traveled solo so I stayed in the "pink" room that came equipped with a comfortable double (?) sized bed, air conditioner, and your own bathroom. The kitchen that is available for use by guests is clean and the fridge is always equipped with milk, juice, and water. The living room is tastefully decorated and is full of travel books and pamphlets which provide information about Panama City and the rest of the country in several different languages. The collection of info here was more than one of the luxury hotels I stayed at the night before. Thirdly, the location is really central to most of what you want to see and do in Panama. You wouldn't realise it at first, but the distance to The Canal, Casco Viejo, and Microcentro are all relatively the same. Not to mention, that it is a mere 5 mins ride from Albrook Mall (a giant shopping mall), which is adjacent to the main bus terminal in Panama City. The location is also very quiet and relaxing since it is on the foot of the residential area of Ancon Hill.

When my travels take me back to Panama City, I will definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it to anyone traveling to the city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC
Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I spent two lovely nights at Dos Palmitos in January 2013. The room was clean and comfortable, the shower was warm and the amazing breakfast on the back patio are some of my favorite memories of Panama City. The location is not super central--so if you are looking to be "in the middle of it all", this isn't your spot. That said, if you want to be in a bit quieter area that isn't far from anything via taxi, this is great. If you are a foodie, you'll love Angelina'a breakfasts. I loved just sitting looking at the great birds, enjoying homemade empanadas, fruit and coffee! This is also a great place to consider if you don't speak Spanish. Angelina is fluent in in at least three languages as far as we could tell and that make some logistics a lot easier. I also think that the price is very fair for the excellent service. We had several friends who stayed at fairly expensive hotels downtown and in the old city and I think we had just as lovely of an experience at a much lower price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple