“One of the Highlights of my trip!!”
Review of Hostal Mamallena

Hostal Mamallena
Reviewed November 27, 2010

What can I say.....Spent a couple of months in Central America and this was for me the best hostel that I stayed in. What stands it apart is the atmosphere..As soon as you walk through the door you feel at home, an oasis of calm in an otherwise hectic city. The staff were great and very knowledgeable about Panama City and Panama as a whole. Great areas to chill and party, the list goes on. Met some great friends which is easy as the hostel has a family feel and it brings people together, wish I could have stayed longer and hope one day I will get the chance to come back. Thanks to the staff and everyone I met at Mamallena for making my stay an amazing experience.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed November 8, 2010

The only thing special about this backpackers hostal is Stuart. He makes the place run- good information given, connections made, groups formed, events facilitated, rooms reserved, and so on. When he heads South to Colombia, the place heads south too. If he wants to remain among the top places for backpackers in PC, he has to get reliable people to staff the place. Beside Luna's Castle is way more fun.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
Casa762, Owner at Hostal Mamallena, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2010

Wow, I`m special!! Cool, thanks, first time anyone has said that, I`m embarrassed now.......

I`m sorry to hear that you think the hostel goes downhill when I`m not there though. Thats a shame but unfortunately it`s hard to avoid in a small business. But I do have 100% confidence in my staff and think that they are the best you will find in Panama. They are some of the friendliest and most helpful that I have seen in any of the hostels. And rememebr we are in Panama, many places ehre rate their staff as reliable on just the fact that they come to work! I also think that Will does a great job, at least as good if not better than myself. He can often be more friendly than me!! Send us an email though, let us know where we fell down so that we can fiix the mistakes.

I think it`s also ubfair to say that Lunas is more fun. They`re different than us and we don`t try to be like them. They`re big, hot and hectic. We try to be more organised(apparently not all the time!!), friendly and more like a family. We don`t try and organise your fun for you but we provide the location for you to do it yourself with other guests. Our layout makes it us more of a relaxed place as well. We also have AC and I think that can be hard to beat.

Thanks for the good comments, and anything you can suggest to make our operation better would be greatly appreciated. It`s just hard for me to be there 24 hours a day!!

Reviewed October 28, 2010

Mamallena is in a perfect location if you want to see everything! A 30 min walk to Casco Viejo, 15 min walk to Calle Uruguay with all the lounges/clubs, and a $3 taxi to Ancón, the causeway, the bus terminal and downtown. It's on the main road where all the markets and real Panamanians live. Safe around there to walk both day and night but they will give you more information on that. There are plenty of toilets and showers. Free wifi in the seating areas both in and outside. Small enough to meet people but large enough to have privacy. They also have connections to many tours including the boat trip to Cartegena that we will be doing next week. The have beer, soda, juices and water for sale at a decent price. It is very secure with locks and video cameras to enter. The rooms are decent size with air-condition but they smell a little moldy when it rains. I am heading back there on Sunday for 2 more nights so yes I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights and enjoyed it. Had a private room which was a little small/'cosy' with no natural light which is why it gets 4 stars. Otherwise can't fault the place. Some great outside areas to relax and read your book.

Other reviews have said it all. The highlight of panama was a tour you can book through the hostel. It's a Jungle tour that is really good. $55 well spent, a great day out.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2010

The hostel is located in a residential area with not many restaurants around, especially at night. Will need to get cab and buses most places. Stayed in a private room for $29.50 which is a little overpriced for panama considering the room had one double bed and no bathroom. There were plenty of bathrooms around the place though with toilets and showers with cold water. Place includes free makeityourself pancakes but kitchen always full so never bothered. Wifi only works upstairs in the common areas and not the rooms. We booked a cab through the hostel for US$20 for 3 people to the airport. Hostel booked with their driver and advised the cost. On arrival at the airport the driver says its $25 due to an airport tax for more than 1 person? Driver called the hostel who we spoke to, hostel said we need to pay the $25 as we never told them it was 3 people (which i did). Told the hostel they need to advise people of the additional cost as its deceptive, not real apology from them. Just beware.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Casa762, Owner at Hostal Mamallena, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2010

I`m so sorry about that with the taxi. $20 is the price for 3 people and thats all you should have been charged. I seriously doubt that my staff would have said it was $25 for 3 people because the taxis we deal with have never charged that much. I`m wondering if the driver called a friend or something. But this is the first complaint we`ve had like this. You should have sent me an email when you got home and I would investigate. If you can send me the name of the taxi driver and when you went, I`ll have words with him, and we won`t be using him again.

I`m sorry about that again.

Reviewed June 18, 2010

Great place to stay in, clean beds, real friendly staff, lots of movies, free coffee!!!! The area is the typical latin american neighbourhood, so if you are looking for the real thing, go ahead and stay at Mamallena.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 13, 2010

This hostel has both double rooms and dorm beds. We stayed in a double without aircon on the first night as there were none with aircon left. It had three fans and wifi in the room so we were happy if a little hot. The second night we moved into a dorm and they are airconditioned at night which was lovely.

There are free computers in the loby a long with a big TV and lounges. The kitchen is well equiped and the staff are absolutly lovely. There is all you can eat pancaked breakfast any time of day, which is a nice touch.

There are some great outdoor spaces and loads of shared bathrooms around the place. It was a laid back and yet very social place. Good for tourist information and they also have info on boats heading over to Colombia.

I would highly recomend you book in advance to ensure you get a bed as they were fully booked during our stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple