“Pretty good, but beware of the cab organised through the hostel”
Review of Hostal Mamallena

Hostal Mamallena
Sydney, Australia
“Pretty good, but beware of the cab organised through the hostel”
Reviewed July 14, 2010

The hostel is located in a residential area with not many restaurants around, especially at night. Will need to get cab and buses most places. Stayed in a private room for $29.50 which is a little overpriced for panama considering the room had one double bed and no bathroom. There were plenty of bathrooms around the place though with toilets and showers with cold water. Place includes free makeityourself pancakes but kitchen always full so never bothered. Wifi only works upstairs in the common areas and not the rooms. We booked a cab through the hostel for US$20 for 3 people to the airport. Hostel booked with their driver and advised the cost. On arrival at the airport the driver says its $25 due to an airport tax for more than 1 person? Driver called the hostel who we spoke to, hostel said we need to pay the $25 as we never told them it was 3 people (which i did). Told the hostel they need to advise people of the additional cost as its deceptive, not real apology from them. Just beware.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Casa762, Owner at Hostal Mamallena, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
I`m so sorry about that with the taxi. $20 is the price for 3 people and thats all you should have been charged. I seriously doubt that my staff would have said it was $25 for 3 people because the taxis we deal with have never charged that much. I`m wondering if the driver called a friend or something. But this is the first complaint we`ve had like this. You should have sent me an email when you got home and I would investigate. If you can send me the name of the taxi driver and when you went, I`ll have words with him, and we won`t be using him again.

I`m sorry about that again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Great place to stay in, clean beds, real friendly staff, lots of movies, free coffee!!!! The area is the typical latin american neighbourhood, so if you are looking for the real thing, go ahead and stay at Mamallena.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Sydney
Reviewed May 13, 2010

This hostel has both double rooms and dorm beds. We stayed in a double without aircon on the first night as there were none with aircon left. It had three fans and wifi in the room so we were happy if a little hot. The second night we moved into a dorm and they are airconditioned at night which was lovely.

There are free computers in the loby a long with a big TV and lounges. The kitchen is well equiped and the staff are absolutly lovely. There is all you can eat pancaked breakfast any time of day, which is a nice touch.

There are some great outdoor spaces and loads of shared bathrooms around the place. It was a laid back and yet very social place. Good for tourist information and they also have info on boats heading over to Colombia.

I would highly recomend you book in advance to ensure you get a bed as they were fully booked during our stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Netherlands
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Well, everything that one can say about Mamallena has already been said in the previous reviews, so I'm not going to repeat all that This is simply an excellent place to stay.

What we also liked is that this place seems to attract a very mixed public rather than just the standard backpacker crowd. We've seen bikers and even people who could have been our parents.

Alltogether this makes Mamallena a very relaxed place to stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simon_Neijkamp
Ajijic, Mexico
Reviewed April 12, 2010

I spent a week at Mamallena's and loved it. It was my first day in Panama City, so it took a day or two to adjust to the trash in the street, sidewalks, traffic, etc., but once I got over that, I got in the Panama City groove, and staying at Mamallena's made the week a fun one. The staff, especially Will and Victor are friendly and helpful...the rooms are clean and so are the bathrooms, it's quiet at night, the courtyard is great for socializing with fellow travelers or just having a cold beer in the hammock. There are 3 high-speed pcs to use for free, the coffee is GREAT, the pancakes are as big as you want to make them, and it's in a great location, walking distance or a 25 cent bus ride to just about everything. They also line up group trips for you to sign up for right there, several times a week, and if you're feeling tired from all the walking and partying, you can laze around on the sofas and watch movies on the big screen TV. The cooler is stocked with water and cold beer, and the kitchen is great for preparing the cheap veggies you bought at the local food stands just down the street. My favorite treat was the ensalda de las frutas, fruit salad, that I got just across the street for $1.25...yum. I had a bunch of dental work done right down the street which saved me a bundle, and staying at Mamallena's was the icing on the cake! ENJOY!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I was here for 4 nights. Great location, staff was awesome. I arrived after a night bus ride at 6am thinking I was going to have to drop my stuff and come back later to check in. Not so, got there and they said my bed would be ready in 20 minutes and sure enough it was. They are very open to trying new tours, I went on a test one to Noriega's beach house, a cigar factory and a jungle walk. They need to work a few bugs out but they honestly wanted our opinions on what we liked what we didn't etc. Because the trip was a test run we only had to pay $15.00 for a 9 hour day of activities. Cost of a dorm room was $11.00 and includes all day coffee/tea and pancake mix (recommend a trip to the store for a couple of bananas and some pineapple for topping). Location is great pretty central and safe, walked around at night with no problems

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Bolzano, Italy
Reviewed March 9, 2010

The hostel is a good starting point to Panama. First, make sure u organize the city tour, for the extra experience, book a stay on one of the San Blas Islands - it's just wow's all over the place. The Hostel itself was simple, good rooms (though the double romm had no window), nice yard, a terrace. Only downside - it was quite hot in the communal rooms. But after two days in Panama u adjust to that!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple