“Awesome Place”

Hostal Mamallena
Paris
“Awesome Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

I love Mamallena. Lots of attention to detail, fun crowd, good, clean rooms, friendly, english speaking staff. Wifi is reliable and quick. Their place in Cartagena, Columbia is a little nicer in my opinion, but thats complaining on a high level. All you need :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Puertla Cruz, Venezuela
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hostal is great, good communal areas, large kitchen and fridge and shared bathroom are kept reasonably clean.
One complaint only, we were given room 1, a private, and were woken up at 5:30/6am each day by staff banging around in the kitchen or guests chatting loudly next door.
On day 2 I had to be up anyway and I mentioned it to the person on reception, who instead of apologising and offering to make an effort, gave me every imaginable excuse a to why he couldn't: ask people to be quieter, speak more quietly himself, turn down the music, or tidy up the kitchen more quietly.
So, in the hope the management will read this, please have a word with the French guy doing the nightshift on may 26, because there is no need to bang cupboard doors shut or rattle the pots and pans at 6am, and asking people to tone it down because it is early is not beyond the call of duty, his attitude marred an otherwise pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2013
Casa762, Owner at Hostal Mamallena, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
I am sorry that that happened, and I do agree with you, there is no need to be making noise at that time of the morning. I hate it myself when that happens and it is a lack of consideration , which is what we ask fro from our guests and what we should show ourselves. I will be speaking to the person involved, although I have to figure out who it was cause we don't have any Frenchman working for us! I'm glad you liked everything else though and hope you can make it back sometime.
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Blimey - 200 words! Well this review comes from a "non-professional" Hostel guy, in fact the first time I stayed in a Hostel since I was 22....I've got to say that for the money, and knowing Panama as I do there is nothing that I could really say against the place.....I wish I had been able to benefit from the trips the guys arrange but it was my last week there and I just needed to chill and regroup.

The rooms - well I had a double - room number 2, where it all happened! It was suffice and I slept, the girls who dealt with the laundry and the cleaning efficient but at the end of the day it's not the Ritz and having read a few of the recent reviews I feel that maybe people sometimes expect too much for too little!

The staff are great, functions a good laugh but if you're looking for a "5 Star" room service experience then the place isn't for you! The breakfast - well Pancakes and coffee seemed to bode well for all of those who indulged- admittedly I dug into the coffee but was rarely up in time to enjoy the syrup soaked delights but when people are making them in the morning it's a great way to to interact with people.

The Pool - well it's not Olympic Size but my hermano from another mother - Jorge (Maybe mis-spelt) is a good guy and takes care of maintenance - in fact all the guys and gals there are great.....

So the point is - if you're travelling to Panama City and with pals on a budget looking for a life experience and on a budget, or even if you have the money but want to have some "real life" experience then this place should be right up there in your "Places to stay"

So thanks to Kat, Jorge, Nat and the team and I sincerely hope to see you guys again some time..... that enough words?!?!

Room Tip: Room 2 was nice! Didn't stay in any of the others?!?!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Casa762, Owner at Hostal Mamallena, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Very happy you enjoyed the place, come back anytime!
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed 5 nights here after our trip through the san blas from colombia (used darien gapster from capurgana - definitely recommend). We enjoyed our stay as the hostel has a relaxing vibe which is what we were after.
We stayed in a private double room downstairs. The good things about the room is that it was very quiet (faced away from courtyard), had a/c and fan, bed was comfortable. Bad point - very small, so hard for us to fit our luggage and ourselves.
Shared bathrooms - better than the Cartagena version of Mama Llena as there were many of them, never had to queue. Some were better than others with more space, only cold water. Cleanliness was fine without being sparkling.
Common areas - the highlight of this hostel, there is a front verandah, large tv room, large back verandah and downstairs courtyard with pool and hammocks. The hostel had a very good kitchen and 3 computers plus 2 wi-fi's. There was also plenty of information around the hostel of things to do etc.
Location - seems to be a talking point. Its halfway between the old city and the business district. We thought it was fine, the area was a bit nothing but then I dont think any area in PC would be overly great. The old city was really boring for us and had its dangerous areas as well.
Staff - always on hand and would answer your questions but not overly enthusiastic (normal in most hostels).
One problem we had was insects, on the top balcony we got bitten really badly and the bathrooms in the mornings were often infested with mosquitos. I think it would be helpful if they sprayed or used baits as we saw them doing in the Cartagena hostel. I do not usually react to bites but these were really bad making me question whether there was perhaps fleas (there is 2 cats and a dog onsite) but I am not sure. Other minor issue was the management did not seem confident in how to deal with a problem guest, he was clearly mentally unstable and my wife felt uneasy and the hostel staff felt the same but did not have any procedures on how to deal with it.
Other than the above we enjoyed the hostel, it was busy without being noisy and had all the facilities you need.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Casa762, Owner at Hostal Mamallena, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Sorry about the insects, that's pretty uncommon for the area but has been known to happen. Once before there was a large pool of water on another close by property. We did take steps to fix the problem. I am confident that it's nothing such as fleas as the animals are checked for them and so on. The guest was a bit of a problem, but it is hard to handle something like that even for people who have experience in that sort of thing. The staff tried to manage the situation and give him the benefit of the doubt, without creating dangerous situations for the guests. Shortly after you left the guest was asked to leave as well. Sorry it wasn't dealt with when you were there. I am glad you enjoyed the stay in general, and thanks for the unbiased comments on the location. No mater what people think we are very central and have easy access to everything.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

I spent 3 nights in the dorm, I think the place is great, but there is quite a lack of atmosphere.
Although the staff is present to answer you, the hostel states itself as the "hostels of no rules".
Which I am not convinced this is the right way to go...

In the dorm I was next to some people who were really dirty, leaving their dirty clothes on the floor, and as Panama is a very tropical place, let's say it stinks quickly, which is not something you appreciate when you want to sleep.

Regarding the atmosphere, it felt like lacking client service, events, well something. The staff tends to just "be there" and don't do much, at least that's the impression I got. I think it could be much better by bringing a bit of a frame, a bit of more attention to the clients.

The cleanliness could be improved in the showers and toilets, especially when there are so many people just for one, seriously.

The breakfast could also be slightly better than just "pancakes" and coffee.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Casa762, Owner at Hostal Mamallena, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
I understand your points, but............ We do have one rule, and that's an important one. Be considerate to everyone else and treat people as you would expect to be people. You guys are all adults and you don't need to be in a place where they treat you like babies, with all manner of rules and telling you what to do. That means that people should look out for their clothes and clean up after themselves. But it also means that as an adult you can also suggest to them that they should do so. Yu don't have to wait for us to do it, everyone needs to take responsibility.

And that also includes cleanliness and making your own fun. We do clean the bathrooms a number of times during the day, but if you see them dirty then let us know and we'll do it again. It's not a big thing for you to do. We've also never really gone in for the party night Monday, popcorn night Tuesday sort of thing. But we do have a great garden with a pool and barbque that you are free to use, theres a large variety of board games, theres about 1000 movies, theres bars close by, we have a list of bars and clubs to go to and we have around 49 other people ready to have fun with you. We would hope hat with all that you can make your own fun. That said our staff are there at the hostel a lot, and they are approachable. they often arrange BBQs and other drinks nights, maybe just not when you happened to be there. Its a shame you thought they don't do much because I know they work very hard and are some of the friendliest I have seen. Maybe they just didn't do what you wanted!

But I am glad that you thought the place was great, just a shame you couldn't tell everyone why it was great, that you only pointed out what you felt were the bad points.
Oslo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

The staff is very helpfull and friendly! And the trip they organised for us to San blas was amazing.
But don't book the private rooms.. It felt like we were sleeping in a prison cell... It was horrible. The other night we moved to the dorm, which was much better, but kind of noisy when it's next to the common area, and people were walking in and out of the dorm all the time, without closing the door...

Room Tip: Choose the dorm!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheaMarie J
Casa762, Owner at Hostal Mamallena, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Unfortunately we have to work with what we have with regards to our privates rooms. They're small but they are useable and most people realize that they don't spend much time in the room anyway, and the other amenities such as the pool, social areas, service and information outweigh the fact that the rooms might not be perfect. What you say about the dorms is understandable, unfortunately it's hard to make people self aware and considerate sometimes. Not our fault! I'm glad you liked the service and the staff though, I think that's one thing that most(not all) people will agree is one of the high points of the hostel, and that's what we aim for. Hope you can make it back again one day.
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Very nice hostel! Friendly staff and a very nice common area! Very easy to meet a lit of good people. Attractions are in walking distance. It's also very easy to reach Albrook by bus (Bus terminal & shopping mall).

• Stayed March 2013
Casa762, Owner at Hostal Mamallena, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thanks, we´re glad you enjoyed yourself. We are pretty centrally located, as long as you don´t mind a bit of a walk or a taxi or bus ride. But then you have to do that no matter which hostel you´re in. Hope we can see you again one day.