“best example for a good hostel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal Mamallena

Hostal Mamallena
Bavaria, Germany
“best example for a good hostel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

Mamallena is a really nice place to stay. Actually one of the best places we stayed within 3 month of travelling. The stuff is awesome and really friendly and helpfull. The kitchen is always clean and good equipped. The rooms are really nice and clean. They also have a little garden with hammocks and a terrace for chillin.
And you´ll find enough computers to write home how good this hostel is ;)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Spring Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Highly recommended, great social atmosphere, very friendly staff, nice location. Not a chaotic 'party' hostel, but you'll definitely have a good time here. Mamallena seems to attract a nice collection of travelers, always someone to have a coupla beers and interesting conversation with. Private rooms are small but with AC and 3 great common areas mean you don't spent much time in the room except to sleep. Well equipped kitchen and BBQ area w/ free pancakes and quality coffee. Staff is extremely knowledgeable re: local knowledge of what to do in the city and very helpful with making onward travel plans. Definitely staying at Mamallena next time we're in the city

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dwyns
Panama City, Panama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I know there are other hostels in Panama city, that you might want to go to. But I got into some serious trouble in Panama, and the staff actually helped my (physically went to the authorities!) situation. It is unbelievable. Also the hostel is clean, relaxed, good airco, nice digital movie center. Cold beers and good pancakes. But seriously. It's the real deal and trustworthy. Good people. Go, there. I kid you not. From one adventurous traveller to another. Here is my verdict: go.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Gazza A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed at hostel mamallenas a couple different nights passing through panama city. Its a very clean and welcoming place with very comfortable beds. The staff was great and helped us a lot especially when our baggage was lost on the plane. I felt very safe inside although my one complaint would be that it could be in a better location. Theu told us as two 20 year old girls not to walk alone in the area at night. Mamallenas was also awesome in organizing our San blas trip. Compared to other hostels, this one seemed to have an older crowd (around 30) which I would consider next time.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank dallyk
Casa762, Owner at Hostal Mamallena, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Thanks for the review, and I´m glad you enjoyed the stay. a bit hard to move the hostel though! Our area is perfectly safe, but like Casco Viejo, we are near areas where you shouldn´t walk. I´m sure thats what the staff meant when they said that. The area of the hostel is fine though, and more of our guests have been robbed in the supposedly safer parts of town than they ever have in our area.
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

We arrived on an overnight bus from Costa Rica and were immediately invited to have free pancake breakfast, coffee and hang out on the couches or hammocks. We booked a private room and were able to check in at about 8am which we were very grateful for. The double rooms are downstairs under the building and are a little small and dark but the beds are very comfy. The communal bathrooms were clean and well stocked with hooks to hang up stuff whilst showering. I liked the well thought out guide to panama city and the San Blas trips. They were very helpful when we booked our boat to San Blas. It is a well organised hostel and have thought of all weary travellers needs.

• Stayed August 2012
Hilversum, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

I stayed in Mamallena hostel a couple of times (when I arrived, before I went to San Blas and when I left) during my trip in Panama. Very nice place to stay with very helpfull staff that are always ready to answer every question.

Despite the number of backpackers that are in the hostel, I found the hostel very clean and not noisy at all. Kitchen is clean and fully stocked with a free pancake breakfast in the morning.

The location might not be very near to any tourist attraction, but the bus station is very nearby and it's not too difficult to find out how to get to things. Taxi's are also very cheap, but because the bus system is also pretty good I managed to get everywhere by bus quite easily. I walked from the hostel to Casco Viejo. A nice 30 minute walk that I really enjoyed.

I did hear that the area at night is not the safest area in Panama, but I had no problems at all myself. In the early evening there are still many people on the streets and I had no problem walking from the bus station to the hostel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Vaduz, Liechtenstein
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed in one of the private rooms, which are located downstairs, next to the garden. The room wasn't very big, but still adequate. There are only shared bathrooms here, but they were generally very clean all through the day. Staff was friendly and helpful. The location was rather good, in an interesting area, with a few good restaurants around ( SAM highly recommended).
What I didn't really like is the hostel policy of "no rules", leaving it to the guests to clean after themselves and to respect the other guests... In reality, the place is ful of young people who don't really care about other people's sleep time or cleanliness. I would recommend this place only to the under 25s.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jeez4475
Casa762, Owner at Hostal Mamallena, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
I´m very glad you enjoyed your stay, and especially the location! Our whole things ¨no rules¨is about respect. Do you really need to be in a hostel that has a bunch of signs saying what you can´t do? I don´t think so. You´re an adult and so is everyone else. Everyone knows how to treat other people with respect and how they want to be treated themselves. And it´s not unreasonable to expect that guests will clean up after themselves, thats the normal rule in other hostels, we just don´t feel we need to be telling you to do it!

But it´s not reasonable to suggest that our guests are running riot. We do ask people to respect other guests sleeping time and keep the noise down at night time. Our staff are always cleaning the hostel and it´s not fair to suggest that it´s never cleaned and theres a constant party!!!