“Do Not Miss!”

Ranked #14 of 1,174 Restaurants in Panama City
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Rene Cafe is a quaint little restaurant in the old quarter that offers a real bang for your buck. The menu is very simple and fixed price offering pork, chicken or fish. Last nights offerings was a pan fried Sea Bass for the fish and a delicious lightly curried chicken along with a salad, a lovely mixed rice dish, and Panamanian dessert resembling a Tres Leches cake with homemade whipped cream.

You can order either the lunch or dinner portion all day at either $10 or $20. You can't beat it.

4  Thank Patricia L

Reviewed April 16, 2014

When visitng Casco Viejo stopped in to Rene Cafe for lunch. Located on one of the corners of Independence Square near Cathedral Church. A very reasonable price of $10.00 for a 3 course lunch. Very small menu choice of chicken pork fish or vegetarian for the main dish. I had a very nice tossed salad, fresh bread with garlic butter, appetizer of a slice of egg and potatoe loaf, thin chicken pieces in lemon sauce, rice and tiny piece of cake.

1  Thank Donna K
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Stumbled in by chance, but were very pleased with our meal. Home style cooking, varying menu, great price. Food was very tasty, perfect sized portions. Would definitely visit again.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

This place is quite small. Five tables seating four, and one seating two. We were at the artisan "mall" across the square. It was 11:43 am so I thought we'd check to see if this place was open. I think they open at about 11:30. By 12:20 all but the double table were occupied, two couples and three groups of four. When we left there I think there were three tables of four vacant. So come early or maybe at 1:00 or so.

Lunch for $10 (tax and tip included, I think) it is a steal -- even if it were half as good. We added small (airplane size) bottles of wine for $5 each. Expensive relative to the food cost but what else is new. Must think they only make money on beer/wine sales! There was owner, a waiter, and three or four people in the kitchen.

It started with a very tasty, large mixed greens salad with an oil and balsamic type dressing. Then there was, I think, a super good frittata that I think had had some fresh corn in it.

We chose the pork as the main course. It was probably a slice of pork tenderloin that had a nice, slightly spicy tomato/red sauce. I don't think that tenderloin is the most favorable cut of pork but it was still nice. I heard that the chicken was really good. The other choice was fish. There was also rice with seasonings and small bits of vegetable.

There was a delicious piece of tiramisu for desert that was wonderfully small at about an inch by 2 1/2 inches. Coffee is available at an extra cost, I think.

The place is comfortably air conditioned (not too cold or hot) and the noise level is low. Service was attentive.

I think lunch might be better than dinner. Logistics are better if you are in the Casco Viejo during the day and not having to take a taxi from your hotel.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

This establishment became part of our daily stop. We enjoyed the people and the snacks. The patio was great to sit on and we would jump in between all the places that share the square. The people and area are beautiful.