“Please avoid this place” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rene Cafe

Rene Cafe
Ranked #8 of 963 Restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: Latin, Spanish, Central American
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Please avoid this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

The prices are high, the food is not fresh, the cooking is mediocre at best. The only plus is that the staff is super friendly. The night we went they had a pre fixed menu. My wife had a vegetarian meal, while I had the usual. We both started with Salads, the lettuce and carrots had a stale taste to it. We ordered some cocktails. They added egg white to it, and it wreaked of eggs in them. The food was international, but something that an amateur home cook could easily cobble together. I got a chicken steak with barbeque sauce on it, a spring roll, plantains stuffed with beef (which was the only decent thing we got), fried fish, ravioli stuffed with cheese in a spinach sauce. All in all the meal was lackluster and unimaginative. Most certainly not worth the price they charge.

Visited November 2012

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“What a great surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

We found this on trip advisor and it was close to where we stayed so gave it a go. Thought that we weren't too hungry but they only offer 6 courses for dinner! As each course came out we were pleasantly surprised by how delicious it was! The restaurant does not look like much, but it was delicious and the service was very friendly and they were very accommodating and it was a wonderful experience sitting out on the square. I would highly recommend it for something casual but delicious. Not fancy, great food. We were overly full afterwards, as we couldn't stop eating the great food!

• Visited November 2012
“Great cheap eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Simple food, fantastic service and really good value. I was in the mood for chicken with some rice and the great location and friendly atmosphere was a nice surprise. Don't expect gourmet but for what it is, I recommend. I enjoyed the tres leches cake at the end

“Great lunch choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

We had a delightful lunch. It's right in the center of Casco Viejo. The lunch was great from appetizers to dessert for $8.50 each.

Caribbean
“Cheap, Filling and Cheerful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Little white washed restaurant right off the church square in Casco Viejo.

Someone had mentioned perhaps not enough food by Western standards?! I barely finished half my lunch there was so much food.

It's a set menu for about 8 Balboa. Starts with a yummy fresh salad with a oil and vinegar dressing, perfect, not too heavy. Bread and a quiche come as starters as well. I was surprised by the quiche but it was good. I probably good have just had the salad and quiche and been done with lunch.

The main is your choice of chicken, beef, pork or fish. It's just grilled and then covered with a local BBQ sauce, nothing amazing but for Panamanian standards, good. It comes with a mixed rice, somewhat Spanish style which is very flavourful.

If you need more food, then there is dessert. It changes, I had a delectable little brownie with a dollop of cream.

Drinks are extra which took me by surprise, I somehow thought it was included. Had a club soda and a green tea to end. A little chuckle that in the tea selection you also have the choice of "dieter's tea".

My whole meal came to 12 Balboa. I ate outside, they have little patio tables with umbrellas. It's not much for privacy but I wanted to feel the warmth because everything is airconditioned! Inside its very compact, cute but too claustrophobic for me.

The service was excellent. The owner came out and chatted with me for a bit.

Enjoy.