“Basic but good.”

Dos Mares
Montreal, Canada
“Basic but good.”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We spent 4 nights at Hotel 2 Mares. The first 3 nights happened to be while carnival was happening. We were so suprised that we could walk to the festivities in 10 min.
The staff were all very professional and helpful. All spoke english and help out with all our questions and never made us feel like we were imposing at all. So, a 10 for the staff at Dos Mares.
Conviently located to walk to Old part of the city for shopping, and casino's nearby if thats your forte. There are 2 grocery stores nearby, and lots of street vendors for quick snacks and restaurants near as well.
We went to the pool once but it was very busy due to the number of people in town for carnival. Great view from the rooftop.
Breakfast was included and there were a couple of choices. (sit down service)
If you need ice the restaurant will freely give guests ice to use in the room.
We went to San Blas islands and the hotel let us leave our luggage for free. We stayed one night after the islands as well. Good hotel!

Room Tip: Look at the rooms before taking the key. Some rooms have no windows for light.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alex A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I booked this hotel at the last minute as I decided after 11 nights in resort areas that I should spend a few nights in the city. Big Mistake!! Could have ruined my vacation but I just wouldn't let it. I will say the only saving grace for me was a few of the staff who were very nice - the english speaking lady on the front desk, the two maintenance guys and one (and only one) waitress in the restaurant. Oh, and the rooftop pool.
The place is filthy and seedy! Directly across from a casino. I had a "public toilet stall" type sliding lock on my door and as a female solo traveler, I did not feel very secure. However the security guy on the main door made up for that a little. The small AC unit was literally hanging diagonally out of the wall - you could see outside through the gaps... but it did work although extremely noisy, and had only two options: off and full tilt! Thank God I travel with earplugs. No problem with the shower or water.
The included breakfast was fine, and I ate dinners there and the food is fine - when they get the order right, which is not often. The service in the restaurant is just awful - I constantly had to get up and go to the counter to order, or ask for something they forgot or to ask for my bill. There was only one good waitress there in my opinion. The menu is in English and Spanish so I don't understand why they would always get it wrong when you are pointing right at it.
Anyway, it is my own fault because I booked last minute without much research. This area of the city, Caledonia, was just not for tourists in my opinion. I just took a taxi each morning to a different area (Casco Viejo one day and Amador causeway another) and enjoyed the day there. I was not comfortable walking more than a block or two in this area - although there were many local families walking around, shopping, etc.
I would stay here again if I had to but for no more than one overnight. Taxis were not too expensive to get out of here a little so that was good.

Room Tip: Simply choose another hotel altogether - busy streets on all four sides of hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Panama City hotels

USA
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My wife & I stayed here during mid-December 2012. The hotel is affordable and provides free breakfast and air-conditioning (you have to ask the receptionist to turn the AC on each day when you come back to the hotel). The staff is friendly. It would help if you spoke some Spanish because the farther you are away from the posh hotel and banking district (Bella Vista, for example) the less the common folk speak English. We found that most folks of African origin speak English and it was helpful. The location (Calidonia) may not be the best looking neighborhood but if you use common sense safety practices (example do not walk in dark alleys or unlit smaller streets, be aware, etc.) you will be okay. The hotel location may be noisy since it is close to Avenida Peru which is a main thoroughfare for city buses and private buses (known locally as el diablo rojo – the red devil), however, it is close to Central Avenue (Ave. Central) which is a location of open air and sidewalk markets and shops where you can buy affordable items including fresh fruits, vegetables and other gift items. It is easy to catch the city bus on Central (if you are traveling towards the main bus terminal known as the Terminal de Albrook) or on Peru (if you are traveling towards the north and east). The fare is only 25 cents but you need to have a fare card which you can purchase at a supermarket, El Machetazo, for example, located on Central Avenue a few blocks to the south and west of 30th Street within walking distance from Dos Mares. Overall, our experience of staying at Dos Mares was pleasant. It also has a swimming pool on the roof top (8th floor) from where you can get a good view of the city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Srini V
Spain
Reviewed September 7, 2012

If you are familiar with hotels in developing countries and are looking for a simple, clean and cheap place to stay, this was not bad. If you've never been to a developing country before, I would recommend looking for a hotel in a more touristy part of town. There are not many good restaurants nearby. Most of the people around this area were definitely locals, so if you're an out of towner, you'll feel more out of place. There really wasn't anywhere that you could walk to in general. We usually took a taxi out to find a restaurant for lunch and dinner. The breakfast was included with our stay and I was very happy with mine! I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights.

The good: great A/C, hot water in the showers, comfortable beds, clear rooms and a restaurant attached to the hotel that is open 'til late into the night, good housekeeping staff

The bad: broken window locks (in 2 rooms that I stayed in), door jambs that extended far enough to hit your knuckle, loud A/C that turned on and off through the night

Some things to note: The majority of staff that we encountered in the hotel and the restaurant did not speak much English. The door locks work, but they seemed like they would be easy to break into. However, I did leave my things in the room along with several others in my party, and nothing was stolen. The housekeeping staff, in my opinion, did a great job keeping the room neat and were nice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Faye G

Stayed 20 days.

Everything in reach
Bus stops,supermarket,cheap taxis ,restaurants of various grades,store on corner, street food stalls of good quality.

Air conditioning noisy but effective. Staff happy to give a room with good ocean view if you can communicate with them. Some with good English most not as hotel caters mainly to Hispanic
holiday makers .

free breakfast adequate cereal, fruit salad,eggs,sausage or pancakes with orange juive and excellent coffee.

Hotel restaurant high priced for area with surreal service.

If in a hurry it's best to go directly to cashier and order and pay her when you have finished as most locals do.

Chinese at end of street has fish and chips and steak or chicken and rice to die for at three or four dollars.

Lobster at $16 at fancy cleaner resteraunt round the corner if you want to splurge.

Jewel of the place is the roof swimming pool with majestic view of the city and the Pacific with giant ships waiting to enter the Panama Canal and the jungle stretching to Columbia on thr other side.

At weekends a little bar opens up their at night with loud Caribbean Spanish Reggae music.

Cubans , Jamaicans, Cayman Islanders, Columbians, Venezualans,Equadorians, Ukranian sailors, And the odd American or Brit all mingle with local Panamanians.

A Hotel with a strong character that I suspect folk will either love or hate .

Cheap, safe , friendly.

Noisy,shabby and changing as we sat there.
You have to rent a fridge if you want one but there is a corner store and 24 Hr restaurant/cafe next door but one and the hotel drinks aren't "too" much of a rip off in the heat.

Room Tip: Tell them you want a room with a view the higher the better but bear in mind the higher the room the...
2 Thank traveltr0tter
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We made reservations thru Hotels.com, and won't be making that mistake again. We arrived by taxi from airport (at a price 5 times higher than was originally quoted), only to find that the hotel claimed to have no record of our reservations.
We spent an hour in the lobby trying to find other accommodations (with no assistance from the vacant-eyed front desk girls), while watching hotel guests (residents?) parading in and out....Party Music was loud from nearby nightclubs, many of the "Guests" seemed to be working girls, and many of the "occupants" seemed clearly to be under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. The neighborhood was rough, edgy, and frightening to our children. The attached restaurant seemed to be the type place people go when the bars close (if they ever close in this particular neighborhood).
I kept an advertising brochure for this hotel, just for the comic irony. It advertises itself as a family friendly budget hotel, and might one day be just that, if they can push out the drug dealers and hookers.
This is not a good place for a family to stay.

3 Thank BStoneMoore
Arcadia, California
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Having never been to the third world before I was a bit shocked when I first saw the room and all I wanted to do was catch the first plane back to the states. But I calmed down and we stayed for three weeks . I guess the hotel was good for the area. At first they tried to put us in a room on the second floor with a view of nothing but an empty lot full of garbage. Then they moved us up the 6th floor where we had a small view of the Pacific. The rooms were clean and the view from the roof was nice.
We had to be careful shutting the door to our room to keep from smashing our knuckles. I slipped and hurt my toe on water sweating off the toilet. I also caught my eye on the bathroom light switch in the night and got a small black eye. This was because the bathroom was so small.

Our daughter got cut on the foot by the pool ladder and needed 4 stitches at the nearby Hospital Del Nino. The staff was concerned about her accident but no one apologized. The mattresses were filthy saggy and old but they changed the sheets every day. The window air conditioner was missing a knob and there was not filter, just a gaping hole and you could see daylight between the unit and the wall. The unit worked but it was very loud. I did not mind the noise it made at night because it helped block out the street noise, but I did mind the noise during the day. Room service was strange, they seem to only have one set of towels so they take them away, wash them and then bring them back in the evening. We were only given two towels a day. No washcloths, no hand towels, no floor towel (except on two days that they did give us a floor towel). The towels were delivered in a plastic bag with two small bars of soap. That was it, no shampoo, toothbrush or anything else.
The room did come with a pitcher and two glasses that we could take down to the hotel restaurant and get filled with ice water. We had to ask to get the glasses washed; otherwise it never would have happened. There was a lot of construction on the hotel; the terrace was often closed due to welding and such. The elevator was shut down for several hours at one point. One day they were painting something in the hallway and the fumes were so bad that we had to leave our room for the afternoon and we could not go to the terrace because they were welding there and the pool was closed so we gave up and went to the mall.
The free breakfast was okay, most of the servers were good . Maria provided good quick and friendly service behind the bar, so we learned to bypass the wait staff and order directly from her. The fruit salad was good. The "sausage stew" was just fried hot dogs YUCK. Like all Panamanian restaurants we ate at we had to chase the staff down for the bill. They would not wait on us on the terrace at all unless we went all the way in and told them we wanted service. In the end it was just too much work to eat there having to chase down service and the bill and the prices were high for the area. We tipped well, so we don't really understand why the service was so slow and hard to come by.
There were cockroaches in the pool bathroom and on the restaurant terrace, but I suppose that can't be avoided in such a hot place. There were no cockroaches anywhere inside the hotel.
The front desk staff was friendly and they all spoke a little bit of English. One woman spoke very good English. The owner speaks good English as well and he helped us make a phone call once. The janitor was a bit rude, pushing past us and into the elevator with his mop pail several times during our stay.
Check out was really awful. When we brought down the key they had a maid rush up to the room to investigate... wow.. Maybe that’s normal in Panama. We had used a towel to wipe salsa off the floor and the maid brought the towel all the way to the lobby and gave me withering looks and there was a huge debate involving many people about the towel and if they were going to charge us or not. Then a manager came down gave me horrible withering looks too. They did not give these horrible looks to my husband. Did they think it was menstrual blood? We told them it was salsa.. What a scene, it did not leave a pleasant memory for us.
In the end they did not charge for the towel. I think they thought the salsa was blood from when my daughter got cut on the pool ladder, so they decided to let it go. I was trying to say to them how can you charge us for a towel after we paid $1,000 to stay 20 days and our daughter was seriously injured and scarred for life on your crappy pool ladder? After they decided not to charge us for the hotel we exchanged friendly goodbyes and left with Jose who seems to be their semi official taxi driver. Jose gave us a ride to the airport for $28 including tolls.