The rooms here are adequate and clean. It's not fancy, but if you need to be out at Clayton (near the Ciudad del Saber NGO haven and the U.S. Embassy) it's in a great location. If you want or need to be near the city center, this is not a good choice.
The staff is generally unfriendly and not particularly helpful. I found this unnerving, considering that the hotel is home to the Intercontinental chain's hotel school. I'm not sure I'd stay at a place where the former students are running the hotel.
Worse than that, though, is the food. That is what ultimately drove me out. There are very few restaurants nearby, and none in walking distance. So I had to rely on the hotel's restaurant. Ugh. They overcook everything - shellfish, steak, eggs, balsamic reduction, you name it. The culinary student who fried my eggs cooked eggs over hard until they were rubbery and needed to be cut with a knife. He seemed deeply confused about the procedure, left the cooking station to get a spatula, and still screwed up the eggs. I was very impressed, in a bad way: that kid had no business even being in culinary school. That evening the students burned the balsamic reduction they put on the tire-like steak that I had ordered medium. When I complained to the restaurant manager, he seemed troubled but made no effort to compensate me or fix the problem.
Also, their "fitness center" is an unventilated broom closet with a rickety stationary bike, a treadmill, and a Nautilus machine. The Kiwanis sports complex is within walking distance; do yourself a favor and go there instead.
Bottom line: stay here if you need to be in Clayton and are fine with no frills, but avoid the restaurant at all costs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Travelers looking for Panama hotel deals will appreciate the great location and outstanding array of amenities found at the Holiday Inn(R) City of Knowledge. Located just minutes away from some of the best attractions and businesses in Panama, our property offers both convenience and great value.Leisure guests are often drawn to our family-friendly Panama City hotel's close proximity to several of the city's best attractions including the visitor center at Miraflores Locks at the Panama Canal, the Albrook Shopping Center (with free shuttle service from our hotel), and the Gamboa Rainforest Resort. But our guests don't even have to leave the hotel to enjoy our sparkling outdoor pool in a beautifully landscaped courtyard, the well-equipped 24-hour Fitness Center, or our gift shop for a souvenir. Our hotel is only a few miles away from Panama City's banking district where many international transactions take place. Our fully-staffed Business Center provides guests with everything they need including copying, courier service, personal computer, and high-speed Internet access.When you're looking for great Panama hotel deals we offer the best. Make your reservations today to get the best Panama travel deals around at our Panama City hotel. You can be assured that when you stay at an IHG Green Engage Hotel, you are participating in an advanced, world-wide sustainability effort. We understand that it is important for you to have an active role in protecting our environment and that's why we've made it easier for you to choose a hotel that matches your sustainable values. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Panama Canal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn City Of Knowledge Hotel Panama City
- Panama City Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Panama Canal Panama City