WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Holiday Inn Panama Canal

Holiday Inn Panama Canal
Ranked #27 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
David, Panama
“Clean but so typically Panamanian”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

So we needed a room for 1 night, web rate was $100 + $20 for extra person (That is the $100 rate is only for one person). I went to the front desk but they would not give me that rate, so I went to my car and booked the room on my smart phone., Check in went OK after that.

Wireless password works only for 1 computer and no way to log out so my wife could use it.

Calls to USA and Canada are SEVEN DOLLARS per minute.

Lots of other choices for my next stay in Panama City, you should check elsewhere.before booking a room here.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Indonesian first
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stay here every time I come to Panama as it is close to our office. Yes, it is out of town but taxi fares are not high and the view of the canal is wonderful, even for someone not interested in ships. Get a high floor with canal view and just watch the ships going into and out of Miraflores locks. Wonderful.

The rooms are reasonable with a good size and a comfortable bed. Wired internet is free and wifi (which can be a bit patchy at times) is also available. Clean and comfortable but some might find the airconditioning a bit noisy (I don't). The bar is a bit small and basic but the restuarant is quite good. Nice bar 50 yards away which does decent food as well.

The staff are extremely helpful and very cheerful. I like this hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a canal view room and try to get 5th or 6th floors for the best view. get up early in the mo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Graciela A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Panama Canal, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your kind comments about your experience at Holiday inn Panama Canal. We are delighted that you enjoy your stay with us and we are going to share your comment with all our staff. For us it is very important to deliver an excellent service guest love. As you said we have and spectacular view of the Miraflores Locks so you can see the ships crossing the Canal every Morning.
On your next visit try our theme night of Fusion y Sabor every Thursday at The Canal View Restaurant.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel is very nice and clean. The bed is very comfortable!
Hotel staff are friendly. Very satisfied.

I stayed in a room on 5th floor facing the canal. The view is not as good as I thought. Also it is quite noisy, because of the highway and railway. I paid a few more $ in order to get the canal view room, but it does not worth the money.

Room Tip: Get a high floor room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RobertW62
Thank you for sharing with us your experience at Holiday Inn Panama Canal. We are committed to deliver an excellent service so we are delighted you enjoy your stay with us.
On your next visit we invite you to try our theme nights from Monday to Thursday at our Canal View Restaurant.
Portalban (Switzerland)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

I spent a week at Holiday Inn Panama Canal. Having a car was useful, for the hotel is outside Panama City, close to the Miraflores locks (apparently you cannot walk to them). It is also a good starting point for various excursions for instance to the Camino Plantacion (see separate review for Soberania National Park). For international civil servants, it is also at a walking distance from various UN offices: I noticed UNDP, OCHA and the World Food Program.

Being a gold member of the priority club, I was granted a nice room on the 6th floor, i.e. well above the tree canopy, with a superb view over the canal. It allowed to watch big and small vessels in transit between the Atlantic and the Pacific oceans. This was great (thanks Graciela). Reviews on Tripadviser show that some reviewers are delighted, others "not so impressed" by the Canal. Obviously someone from Los Angeles, Houston, Shanghai or even Port Said may find trivial all the fuzz made around the Panama Canal, while someone living in Armenia, Bolivia or, like me, Switzerland, i.e. in landlocked countries, would be impressed. Nothing to wonder about it!

The room was spotless, well equipped with safe, fridge, coffee maker, free internet, spacious wardrobe, iron, and so on. The king bed was comfortable. The a/c was functioning but proved rather noisy and worked well too often because of the poor thermal insulation of the window: mine had a split of almost half a cm on the side allowing hot air to flow in, while the double glass met at best the 1970s standards. Result: even when maintaining a 25°C room temperature, the a/c was running almost without interruption in late afternoon. Electricity was flying out directly. I don't know the price of electricity in Panama, but if it happens to be close to European levels, the replacement of windows would offer undoubtedly a sizable and rapid return on investments.

Staff was nice. Breakfasts were generous, varied and good, with an efficient and helpful guy named Luis for the service. Plenty of safe parking places around the hotel. No newspapers available but I could read my home newspapers on the internet.

It is true, as underscored by other reviewers, that tiled hallways (in opposite to the thickly carpeted ones in most other hotels) reverberate each and every sound made in reaching or leaving rooms. On the 6th floor, some of the guests realized that and were careful not to slam doors. This was not the case of the cleaning staff who were yelling at each other across the floor, holding apparently long and difficult negotiations on cell phones and slamming doors so often that you would believe that there were hundreds of rooms on that floor. It is also true that the surroundings are not silent: a major road and the Panama Canal Railway run in front of the hotel. But tell me: aren't Holiday Inns by definition located close to communication roads? The hotel management recognized this situation and provides guests with earplugs. Well thought, thanks, I used them. But is this sufficient a move for justifying what I can only consider as an abuse?

Indeed, during two evenings, "events" were held on the seventh floor, i.e. the floor above the guests floors. In my room (602) which was yet at the far end of the hallway, the noise level generated by the party managed to exceed that of the air conditioner. Further, people participating in the party invaded regularly the hallway of the sixth floor (I guess waiting for the elevators, as elevators do not reach the 7th floor) laughing, calling each other loudly, some even whistling with the music played on the floor above.

As a first note, I should say that as a matter of safety for hotel guests - if not their comfort -, a place for "events" open to the public must have a separate and direct access: in one of the instances, I happened to be in the lobby when the party guests arrived and can testify that there was no control: people stepped out of taxis and went directly to the elevators to the 6th floor, without even a glance from reception. Then a stream of people was climbing - do you believe silently ? - the stairs to the event premisses. Any potential "wrongdoer" could have mingled with them, stopping on the 6th floor and start operating unnoticed thanks to the noise generated by the party. Management should consider corridors as guests' common but private places to be protected, not as a public spot for everybody. In my view (and experience), the participants in the party should at least have been requested to show their invitation cards in the lobby. Better: their names checked against a list provided by the event's organizer. What happened then was against all safety rules and practices.

As a second note, I wish to underscore that in a place so poorly insulated as the Holiday Inn Panama Canal, management should not allow such parties on the same premisses as those rented by guests for working or resting. You cannot have your bread and eat it. And further hope for an additional smile. It is difficult to overcome a feeling of contempt by the hotel management in such a manner of treating its customers. In other words, such events should take place in a separate and soundproof facility. Or not take place at all. The present practice is not acceptable.

A bit disturbing also was the fact that the hotel had decided for me that I would take almost cold showers during my whole stay. Indeed, hot water was running normally in the sink, but only slightly tepid water - in fact very slightly tepid - was available in the shower. I mentioned it twice, in Spanish and English, to reception but received only a smile in response. With days, I more or less got used to it and remembered my doctor mentioning something positive about cold showers. The fact remains however inexplicable to me.

Should I recommend this hotel to dear friends? Tripadviser does not allow "yes, but" or "no, but" answers. They know why. But before making a recommendation, I would undoubtedly assess carefully the reasons for my friend's stay at that place. Should she/he decide for Holiday Inn Panama Canal because of the proximity of the locks, the view and the kindness of staff, she/he would be made fully aware of the "details" that have seriously tarnished my own stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Claude-George
Thank you for sharing your comments about your experience at Holiday Inn Panama Canal. We are committed to deliver an excellent service to all our guest specially our Priority club Members, we appreciate your loyalty to our Brand IHG. we are going to take in consideration all your recommendation to improve our service and deliver a superior service to all our guest. As you mentioned we have a very friendly staff so we are going to share with Luis your recognition to his service.
We hope to see you soon on your next visit to Panama.
Leawood, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

After our late flight in from Dallas, we stayed at the Holiday Inn next to the Panama Canal. This hotel was great, as we were flying to Chiriqui the next day, so it was close to the airport. I have stayed at this hotel around 4 times, and it is a good hotel, clean, the service is good. The rooms are big and with an excellent view of the canal.... You can beat this! The breakfast was also good, and on Sunday, they have comida tipica buffet, which was great!

If you have time, you can walk around the former Army base and visit some of the parks and green areas.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your kind comments about your experience at Holiday Inn Panama Canal. We are very committed to deliver an excellent service to all our guest. As you said we are next to the Club Kiwanis Sport Center that has an Olympic pool, baseball and football fields, racquetball, tennis and basketball courts. Also if you want to take a walk and have a time of relax you can enjoy the parks and green areas.
On your next visit we invite you to try our Pizza and Pasta Night every Monday at our Canal View Restaurant.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I thought this hotel was nice and very decent. I loved the view of the Panama Canal and I loved the representatives professionalism and catering attitude. There was one tiny mistake that occurred through when of the newly hired male front desk employees, but it was quickly rectified on the return last night at the hotel. We stayed here for 2 nights and I enjoyed the quaint and intimate setting of the hotel.

You will fight traffic to and from various locations trying to get around, but i think that is a central issue which Panama is working on repairing by installing the transit system.

The only negative I found was there was no refrigerator room because they have all the wet bar drinks in there that cost an arm and a leg.

I took my important items (which were electronics and jewelry) with me everyday (since we had a car rental) so the safe was not needed, but there was one in the room (inside the closet).

I really didn't have a real problem with this hotel, it was clean and safe, no bugs, air conditioning worked well and the staff were friendly and helpful and spoke ENGLISH -which was essential since I am very bad w/conversational spanish!

It is important to mention that we stayed here with our Priority Rewards' reward points and had no problem at all!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your kind comment about your stay at Holiday Inn Panama Canal. We are happy that you enjoy your stay with us. Thank you for be a Priority Club Member we appreciate your loyalty to our brand IHG. We are committed to deliver an excellent service to all our guest especially our priority club members, so we invest constantly in trainings to all our employees.
On your next visit we invite you to try our new Panamanian Breakfast Buffet, every Sunday at our Canal View Restaurant.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I recently booked two nights at this hotel. I was rather disappointed in the location of this hotel. First, I was under the impression that this hotel was within walking distance of the Miraflores. I found out however that you still need to take a taxi there ($6 for 2 of us) because the roads are not walkable. Also there is absolutely nothing else around the hotel so you are pretty much stuck at the hotel or forced to take a taxi into town ($10). It really makes no sense to stay at this hotel because the location is terrible.

The room itself was adequate. I was on the top floor with a Canal view but to be honest I wasn't very impressed. The room is bare bones and the view of the canal isn't as impressive as I had hoped.

Also, since I am a gold member with Priority Club I always get treated to complimentary breakfast but not here. I was forced to pay $26 for the breakfast buffet which was the only option. They do have a small cafe in the lobby but nothing really breakfast worthy.

On the day of checkout I woke up to find out the hotel turned the water off so I wasn't able to shower or even use the toilet. Not happy about that.

I chose this hotel because it was cheap and close to the Panama Canal, however if I were to go back to Panama, I would stay at a downtown hotel and just take a taxi to Miraflores. At least you have a lot more options when you stay downtown versus at this Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: I suppose a high floor with a Canal view would be best. A few rooms have balconies, mine did not.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank prepare4landing
Graciela A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Panama Canal, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at Holiday inn Panama Canal. We are very sorry that you didn’t have the opportunity to enjoy the activities around the hotel like the sport center at Club Kiwanis that have tennis court, baseball field, football field, walk road to relax surrounded by nature and an Olympic pool. The hotel offers a free shuttle to Miraflores locks and the biggest mall in Panama Albrook Mall (Ask for the schedule at the Front Desk). Thank you for be a gold member of Priority Club, we appreciate your fidelity to IHG. We will consider your suggestion and we will include a complimentary breakfast for gold and platinum members.
Thank you again for your comment.