“Nice little hotel next to the Canal”

Holiday Inn Panama Canal
Ranked #25 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
Leawood, Kansas
“Nice little hotel next to the Canal”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

After our late flight in from Dallas, we stayed at the Holiday Inn next to the Panama Canal. This hotel was great, as we were flying to Chiriqui the next day, so it was close to the airport. I have stayed at this hotel around 4 times, and it is a good hotel, clean, the service is good. The rooms are big and with an excellent view of the canal.... You can beat this! The breakfast was also good, and on Sunday, they have comida tipica buffet, which was great!

If you have time, you can walk around the former Army base and visit some of the parks and green areas.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Graciela A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Panama Canal, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your kind comments about your experience at Holiday Inn Panama Canal. We are very committed to deliver an excellent service to all our guest. As you said we are next to the Club Kiwanis Sport Center that has an Olympic pool, baseball and football fields, racquetball, tennis and basketball courts. Also if you want to take a walk and have a time of relax you can enjoy the parks and green areas.
On your next visit we invite you to try our Pizza and Pasta Night every Monday at our Canal View Restaurant.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I thought this hotel was nice and very decent. I loved the view of the Panama Canal and I loved the representatives professionalism and catering attitude. There was one tiny mistake that occurred through when of the newly hired male front desk employees, but it was quickly rectified on the return last night at the hotel. We stayed here for 2 nights and I enjoyed the quaint and intimate setting of the hotel.

You will fight traffic to and from various locations trying to get around, but i think that is a central issue which Panama is working on repairing by installing the transit system.

The only negative I found was there was no refrigerator room because they have all the wet bar drinks in there that cost an arm and a leg.

I took my important items (which were electronics and jewelry) with me everyday (since we had a car rental) so the safe was not needed, but there was one in the room (inside the closet).

I really didn't have a real problem with this hotel, it was clean and safe, no bugs, air conditioning worked well and the staff were friendly and helpful and spoke ENGLISH -which was essential since I am very bad w/conversational spanish!

It is important to mention that we stayed here with our Priority Rewards' reward points and had no problem at all!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your kind comment about your stay at Holiday Inn Panama Canal. We are happy that you enjoy your stay with us. Thank you for be a Priority Club Member we appreciate your loyalty to our brand IHG. We are committed to deliver an excellent service to all our guest especially our priority club members, so we invest constantly in trainings to all our employees.
On your next visit we invite you to try our new Panamanian Breakfast Buffet, every Sunday at our Canal View Restaurant.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I recently booked two nights at this hotel. I was rather disappointed in the location of this hotel. First, I was under the impression that this hotel was within walking distance of the Miraflores. I found out however that you still need to take a taxi there ($6 for 2 of us) because the roads are not walkable. Also there is absolutely nothing else around the hotel so you are pretty much stuck at the hotel or forced to take a taxi into town ($10). It really makes no sense to stay at this hotel because the location is terrible.

The room itself was adequate. I was on the top floor with a Canal view but to be honest I wasn't very impressed. The room is bare bones and the view of the canal isn't as impressive as I had hoped.

Also, since I am a gold member with Priority Club I always get treated to complimentary breakfast but not here. I was forced to pay $26 for the breakfast buffet which was the only option. They do have a small cafe in the lobby but nothing really breakfast worthy.

On the day of checkout I woke up to find out the hotel turned the water off so I wasn't able to shower or even use the toilet. Not happy about that.

I chose this hotel because it was cheap and close to the Panama Canal, however if I were to go back to Panama, I would stay at a downtown hotel and just take a taxi to Miraflores. At least you have a lot more options when you stay downtown versus at this Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: I suppose a high floor with a Canal view would be best. A few rooms have balconies, mine did not.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank prepare4landing
Graciela A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Panama Canal, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at Holiday inn Panama Canal. We are very sorry that you didn’t have the opportunity to enjoy the activities around the hotel like the sport center at Club Kiwanis that have tennis court, baseball field, football field, walk road to relax surrounded by nature and an Olympic pool. The hotel offers a free shuttle to Miraflores locks and the biggest mall in Panama Albrook Mall (Ask for the schedule at the Front Desk). Thank you for be a gold member of Priority Club, we appreciate your fidelity to IHG. We will consider your suggestion and we will include a complimentary breakfast for gold and platinum members.
Thank you again for your comment.
nevada
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have stayed here on two separate trips and both times was a positive experience. We took taxi's from the Tocuman Airport to the hotel. The hotel treated us like royalty. Very accommodating, clean, modern and very comfortable beds. Though the hotel isn't close to the airport., it was still worth staying here. It was only a 20 minute drive to the airport, especially if the taxi takes you on the quicker route to avoid traffic rush hours. They have a really good breakfast buffet that was free.

Room Tip: We've had rooms facing the canal each time, but I'm sure all rooms would be good. The beds a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Graciela A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Panama Canal, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you for share with us your kind comment about your experience at Holiday Inn Panama Canal. For us it is very important to deliver an excellent service to all our guest. We are pleasant that you enjoy our breakfast buffet how has different option to all tastes.

On your next visit we invite you to try our theme night from Monday to Friday, special our Thursday night of Fusion y Sabor.
Washington, DC
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel is certainly nothing to write home about--the only thing it really has going for it is that it is located right near the Miraflores Locks, so if you're only intention is to visit these locks, then this place is ideally located. But, if you really want to explore more of Panama City, then skip this place and look for another hotel that is more centrally located in the city; otherwise, you'll be fighting traffic to and from the city and/or paying $15 one-way taxi fares. The room itself was fine, though we had no hot water and no room safe, even though every room is supposed to be equipped with a safe per the hotel's info handbook. During our first night, we asked the front desk to fix the hot water and get us a safe--the hot water only ended up being slightly warm at best and we never did get a safe, so we had to leave valuable items with the front desk every time we left the hotel. As for the gym, it pretty much was a small box with nonworking equipment (4 bikes, none of which worked). The restaurant we chose not to eat at at any other time except for breakfast, which was fine. For dinners, we opted to eat at the Miraflores Visitor Center restaurant (great views of the canal/locks, mediocre food) and the only other restaurant near this hotel, La Taberna de Canal, which is located right next door to the hotel and served decent tapas.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tiggero5501
Graciela A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Panama Canal, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thanks for writing your review. As you mentioned the Hotel is located in front of the Miraflores Locks at the Panama Canal. We are at 5 minutes from the biggest Mall in Panama The Albrook Mall, which the hotel offers a free shuttle(ask for the schedule at the front Desk), we are only 15 minutes(outside peak hours) from the city center, other attractions we have behind the hotel are Club Kiwaniss Sport Center, that you can enjoy a quiet walk, football field, baseball, tenis and other sports. To enjoy your nights the canal view restaurant has theme nights which are Monday Pasta and Pizza, Tuesdays of Meats, Wednesday of Fish, Thursdays Fusion y Sabor and Fridays International.
Guayaquil
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Every time I travel to Panama, I try to carefully administer my expectations and remind myself that Panamanians are notorious poor in the area of customer service. Always hoping for a miracle, I am consistently disappointed, so avoid my pitfall and expect as little customer service as possible. If you want to stay in this part of Panama City, it's an acceptable choice.

Aside from the staff, who is clearly indifferent to the guest, the hotel is OK. The rooms and hallways are tiled, which makes sense in a humid climate. However, there is a echo in the halls. If you don't like stepping on the tile floor in your room, bring slippers. The rooms are clean and comfortable. No complaints.

Approximately five minutes away by foot is a beautiful, safe park where you can run on a 2km track, play tennis, or walk. This is one of the hotel's best advantages.

The breakfast is mediocre. You'll have to beg the servers for a glass of water, coffee or any sort of attention. Good luck.

Room Tip: The hotel advertises more expensive rooms with views of the Miraflores locks. I was disappointed to...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
We are sorry we were unable to enjoy our hospitality during your stay. Our destination is tairly new and striving to improve services for international guest. We are constantley training our employees to customer service and I am on duty to help. If you considere our hotel for your next trip I will be delighted to extend my services.

Best Regards.
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have been to several Holiday Inn hotels in different countries. This by far is the best because of its location and the service. This hotel is the host of an hotel school, which makes the service much better than usual and the food incredible. Get a room with a Canal view. It is an experience you won't get in any other hotel. Most of my guests have stayed here and the feedback has been excellent. I have also rented conference rooms and used their banquet service. Will keep doing business with them.

Room Tip: Rooms with Canal View
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Graciela A, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Panama Canal, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comment about your stay in our property. We surely appreciate your support and we will share your feedback with our team and students.