“Beautiful ambience, wonderful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Siete Mares

Siete Mares
Ranked #40 of 980 Restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“Beautiful ambience, wonderful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

I had a gentleman recommend the Siete Mares when I was going up in the elevator to my room at the Toscana Inn. He stated it was the best seafood restaurant in Panama City and always ate there when he came in from Tampa, Florida.

The Siete Mares was two blocks from my hotel. The lunch hours were from 11-3. I arrived at the restaurant at 1:30. When I entered I told the Maitre D' that I understood it was the best seafood restaurant in Panama City. He said, "Of Course," and laughed. The staff were very attentive but not pushy. I hate it when someone comes over to my table and asks continuously, "Is everything allright."

After ordering, a bread basket was placed on the table - it had four slices of warm baguette, toasted with a thin coating of butter and garlic. Delicious!

Service was quick and attentive. I had the Crema de Congrejo (crab) soup and grilled Corvina (sea bass) Saltada, plus I ordered 1/2 bottle of white Spanish wine. The wine list had only two white wines in 1/2 bottles. The Congrejo soup was soooo delicious with a small cup of fresh croutons placed on the table. I am not a fan of croutons, so I did not place any in my soup. After practically scraping the bottom of the soup bowl, I finally put three croutons in to get the last drop. The Corvina was large and about 3/4 inch thick, grilled to perfection. There were sauted onions, cut into triangles, broccoli, spinach and tomatoes cut in strips on top the Corvina. As a small side, there was also about two tablespoons of mashed potatoes piped into a swirl and topped with two fried plantains, standing like skyscrapers. Beautiful presentation. I did not have any dessert, although the dessert cart looked wonderful.

The other restaurant guests were eating a very leisurely lunch. In fact, with the exception of one couple, they were still there when I left at 2:30.

When I was presented the check (they do not add a tip into the bill) I told the Maitre D' it was Numero Uno and made the OK sign with my fingers. He laughed!

It is expensive. The lunch menu is the same as the dinner menu. But I was so full I didn't eat any dinner that evening.

I will surely go back the next time I visit Panama City.

Pat, the San Antonio Foodie

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Patricia B

Haslett, Michigan
“Good Seafood Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

This restaurant is a little more upscale but the prices are still reasonable. We had the Rice with Seafood and Grilled Large Shrimp, which were both good. The service was good. This restaurant is near the Toscana Inn Hotel. They accept credit cards.

• Visited September 2013
Malmo, Sweden
“The best fish restaurant in Panama City?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I ordered Landguster alá plancha. I received five big prawn.This was my best meal in Panama City. I believe it was well worth the money spent about 21 USD. Nice beatiful restaurant in a nice surrounding.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Jan-OlofO
Tampa, Florida
“El Cangrejo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

This restaurant is in the heart of El Cangrejo (the crab) part of the city. So of course this is one of the best for fish or anything from the sea. Medium priced to high. More adult than family. But it would depend on the time of day that you go. Great ambiance. We usually stay in this area so that we are able to walk to the different restaurants. Parking is at a premium in almost all of Panama.

Visited October 2012
USA
“Good Lobster”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

I first ate in Siete Mares some 27 years ago, before they "remodeled" which is to say, the restaurant is outdated, but still comfortable. I keep coming back for the lobster Monsignor Laboa (which was instrumental in Noriega's capture). This was his dish. And they have kept it going since. I make an effort to come and have this dish. It has not changed over the years, and I would recommend this dish, price around $30. To start,the fried ceviche is very good and the octopuss. I am sorry to say, but I have seen the other dishes, which are appealing, and have good taste, but I am hooked on the lobster. And don't forget the desserts!, they had a maracuya pie that was fantastic...usually I try 3 desserts!

• Visited May 2013