“awesome dinner!”

Ranked #2 of 361 Restaurants in Managua
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our specialty is the Italian and Mediterranean cuisine. We developed a fusion of traditional italian recipes with molecular cuisine, in order to offer the best gastronomic experience in Managua, in a very quiet and cozy atmosphere. Enhanche the cuisine at the level of art. Excellency is always present in our constant seek of perfection, in the quality of our ingredients, in the expertise of our techniques.
Reviewed September 18, 2013

i love everything about this place, the food, the service, the location. everything works like magic to create that perfect meal. they have a great variety of choice to go with. the Carpaccio is great and the pastas are exquisite in flavor. Fancy plates to choose from as well. definitely if not, the best place to eat in Managua.

2  Thank Jorge S

Reviewed August 11, 2013

My story is long and I will try to summarize. On the recommendation of friends and TripAdvisor my girlfriend and I decided to go to La cueva del buzo, knowing that this is a restaurant whose prices are well according to the prestige they have.

At noon I called to ask if they were working normally (being a national holiday), and they said yes. The lady I spoke to asked me if I wanted to book a table, since we were not sure how many people would go I asked if the reservation was necessary. The lady told me it wasn't, but that was recommended so that they could saved us a table. Let's pay attention: one thing is "required" and another different is "recommended". I even asked for the working hours and other details, and the lady on the phone said nothing about the mandatory reserve (something very rarely used in our country, by the way).

Finally, my girlfriend and I went at night (the restaurant is located on the outskirts of the city), and from the entrance we saw a blackboard announcing that since January this year (we are in August!) there was a mandatory reservation. The host told us the same. I told him exactly what I had spoken on the phone and that "mandatory" is not the same as "recommended". I asked him to speak with the owners.

When the host came back he told me that the lady had said that "I was to call again and confirm the reservation, and I didn't", and without reservation we could not eat there. It turns out that the person I had spoken with was one of the owners, who unfortunately did not even bother to came out to give us an explanation of her confusion. The restaurant was not busy, I would say that at least half the tables were free, but the host was apologizing for having the kitchen working beyond capacity.

This restaurant is said to be the best in town, unfortunately we could not confirm it and the customer service was terrible, both for the lack of information important the owner/lady was suppose to tell on the phone, and her inability to resolve the situation after we had arrived there after a long trip. I left my business card but I know it was in vain.

Save yourself the trip, and enjoy another restaurant nearby where the customer is really important.

5  Thank Ulises J
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

This is by far the best restaurant in the country. Excellent in all aspects. The presentation, taste and innovation of the dishes is exquisite. Fresh wild caught seafood by the chef and owner makes the experience and dishes extra special. Definetely worth every penny. Go try out the new menu!

2  Thank Mmedranoc
Reviewed July 24, 2013

As always La Cueva del Buzo is innovating their menu, last time I tried Holandes Volador, delicious recipe its consist in a wonderful mix of flavors with a great pasta and fresh clams. Its a unforgettable experience.

Service as always attentive including a great knowledge about all menu. So important, the owner is checking around and sharing with clients.

1  Thank LeviL294478
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have traveled to Managua for the past 15 years, but this time I was surprised when hearing friends rave about La Cueva, which I had never even heard of. However, this past trip I had the good fortune to go not just once, but twice, to this fabulous restaurant. As one other reviewer noted, the décor is not much to talk about, but that’s not why one goes to a restaurant, is it? – it’s all about the food.

The food is incredible, or as they say where I come from, “to die foah.” My first dinner was risotto with shrimp and gorgonzola sauce, which was heavenly and beautifully presented. Appetizers, wines, desserts, all were wonderful, and all my dinner mates raved about their meals. The second dinner, which my daughter was lucky enough to come for, was equally wonderful. The appetizers were particularly tasty and beautiful to look at. Imagine carrots and beets sliced thinly, and cut into a flower shape. All five of us got to sample various appetizer tasties, and then we all passed our own meals about for others to try. The waiters were attentive, but not intrusive, and kept our wine glasses filled without asking. This has to be one of the very best meals I've ever had.

The only suggestion I would make is that the menu include descriptions of the various dishes. I have a feeling that with this, I (and others) might have been more adventurous in ordering – perhaps next time!

La Cueva has gained yet another fan, and I will surely make it a point to go have a parting meal there in future. Find a knowledgeable taxista, as it can be hard to find the entrance, but you won’t be sorry you did.

1  Thank parrotheadnica