“The only place I will stay”
Review of Hotel La Pyramide

Hotel La Pyramide
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Managua
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have stayed there a total of almost 4 weeks; 3 weeks in June, 2012 and one week in October, 2012. I now consider Manfred and the staff friends. As almost everyone else has mentioned, Manfred, the owner, is a terrific host and will go out of his way to make your stay as pleasant as possible. He went over and above to take care of the group of 10 that stayed there for two weeks in June. This included arranging for several special dishes for us for dinner.

I went back in June and I didn't even consider staying anywhere else.

Manfred speaks Spanish, German and English.

The food is always outstanding and the staff accommodating. Several times I have asked for them to make sandwiches for me to take with me to work, they do so gladly.

I'll be staying there again when I go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 1, 2012

A great welcome - after a tiring journey we were so pleased to be greated by the warmth, friendliness & hospitality of Manfred and his staff. La Pyramide is a lovely quirky place with comfortable large rooms, a great roof top dinning area and fantastic service. Its got that relaxed, nothings too much bother feel to it that you usually only get from staying with your own family. Breakfast was fresh, made to order and big enough to leave us stuffed till lunch.
I only wish we'd had more time to stay longer !

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vondaa
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed here one night after a flight from the U.S. and were happy to see someone at the airport to take us to the hotel. The hotel is clean, the rooms rather basic but then this is Nicaragua. We like the hotel and really enjoyed chatting with the owner. Breakfast was included and very tastey. The cost of the room was reasonable but so far from the airport that the cost of the room plus 32.00 round trip made it not really worth it for us. If I had business in the center of Managua I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jaybirdrob
Reviewed November 22, 2012

we spent a most pleasant week at la pyramide . My family and I would like to say thank you to Manfred for looking after us in every aspect and for making our stay in managua so very pleasant. Without Manfred's help I think I could not manage to look after my brother who suffers from COPD and needed to have an oxigen machine immediately after arriving in Managua ans some Doctors and dentist appointments amongst other things.

Room Tip: corner suite down stairs is very bright and homely
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Natasha H
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I were in Nicaragua for another volunteer trip. We had to spend one night in Managua before continuing our journey the next morning. An airport hotel was recommended to us. However, after reading their reviews, and reading those of La Pyramide, we elected to make the 15 km trip to La Pyramide.

Good decision.

The beds were not the most comfortable, and the showers were not the best, but we are cognizant of being in a very poor country.

From the moment we arrived, everything was about our satisfaction. It was late, and William (the evening manager), who speaks no English, was able to understand our request and have a meal ordered for delivery. He was terrific.

Manfred (owner) greeted us the next morning and made sure that we were happy with everything. The kitchen staff brought coffee to our room while we were getting ready for breakfast. Breakfast can be served in two locations, and we opted for the deck upstairs. It consisted of juice, eggs with ham, rice and beans, and fresh fruit.

Meanwhile, in our next stop in Boaco, we spent some time with a gentleman who stayed at "the other hotel". Based on his experience, we made the right decision.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BfloBillW
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I had such a pleasant experience at this adorable place that I am still thinking about it over a year later! I've been working in the hospitality industry for over 10 years and one of the most important qualities for a business in hospitality is excellent staff members. Manfred is a passionate owner, fully involved in his business and it's obvious, he has made it a priority in his life. He is so welcoming, full of knowledge--whether it's the history of Nicaragua or where to go sightseeing. He is a man that has a good heart and we need more people like him in the world. The hotel is adorable, clean, cozy and comfortable. One great thing, as I was a woman traveling alone, is that Manfred was happy to pick me up from the airport (small fee). I felt so safe staying at the hotel and felt he was looking out for my best interest at all times. Good job Manred, you're doing something right!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Travelbymyside
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We loved this place and wish we had managed more nights there. We spent 2 nights in one of the 'suites' - a really big ensuite room with 2 big double beds and loads of room for the 2 travel cots we had for our young children, as well as our endless amounts of luggage.

It is a hotel, however is so laid back it has bit of a 'hostel' feel to it ... And I Mean that in a good way as it is friendly and informal. There is a small pool to cool off in which we spent a lot of time in, it's perfect for children.

The food was superb and very good value, and the girls in the kitchen were very flexible at cooking what we wanted for our children (one of whom is a baby requiring purées which they did no problem for us). The fresh fruit juices were delicious.

Manfred, the owner, is by far the best host of a hotel we have had - anywhere in the world. He is German but speaks almost perfect English. He helped with dinner and other accommodation bookings, dropped us off at the local markets or playgrounds and was generally just super duper. All his staff seemed happy and like a family to each other.

Managua is much nicer than we expected - very green and lush, great restaurants - including several within easy and safe walking distance from the hotel. So ignore the guide books and have more than a 1-2 night stopover if you can!

Room Tip: Can't vouch for the other rooms but the 'suites' were very big and good value.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family