“Great place to stay!”
Review of Hotel D'Lido

Hotel D'Lido
Ranked #42 of 50 Hotels in Managua
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our last night in Nicaragua. The staff spoke decent english and we enjoyed chatting with them about our trip. There is a restaurant here with jalapeno sauce so good I still remember it months later. Staff stays all night so even though the restaurant closes, they will serve you adult beverages all night. The next day, they held our bags while we adventured around Managua, way after check out time. This was one of the nicest places we stayed.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, I would ask for a room away from the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emily R

Reviewed December 10, 2012

We stayed here at the beginning and end of our week in Nicaragua. The hotel is older and in need of some updating. In light of this, the two different rooms I stayed in were clean. The staff was very friendly & helpful. We ate breakfast there each morning, and the food was fine, but again, not fancy. If I wanted a fancy place, I'd go elsewhere... however if I simply wanted a decent place to spend the night, I'd return.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank JinAbr
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I picked this hotel because the price was right (or maybe not). The advertisements looked promising, but don't let the pictures fool you. There are not any thrills with this hotel and I didn't expect any for the price. The hotel was a safe and and fairly clean, but had seen better days.
I stayed in room 28 and my friend stayed in 31, neither one had hot water. I asked the desk about the hot water and they said that it didn't work, and then just looked at me as though I was stupid, and then went about their business surfing the internet.
The front desk had internet, but the computer at the work station didn't work and the WIFI stayed connected to our IPODs for about 2-3 minutes. When asked about this I got the shoulder shrug.
The pool was questionable and I chose not to swim.
The food was good and at the right price, but make sure you ask for your change or you won't get it, and don't let them tell you that they don't have change like they attempted with us. We had small bills and this is a business isn't it.
If you need a cheap safe place to lay your head then you found it, but I guess I need a little more, or at least what was advertised.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 28 or 31 - The hot water doesn't work.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Tommy B
Reviewed July 7, 2012

The hotel was dirty. The staff put us in a terrible situation. The owner was unconcerned. They pointed me out to individuals off the street and let people I didn't know ring my room. All wanting money. So uncomfortable we left the hotel because our guide did not think we were safe. They refused to give us our deposit back and were very disrespecting to us when we left. Our guide went to the tourism director and he informed us that the hotel D'Lido was not concerned with tourist and they did not recommend them. I DO NOT recommend them for any mision team!!!

Room Tip: I highly suggest the hotel Maracas instead!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank Ricky781
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I have stayed here several times and I understand the confusion of the earlier review but hotel lido does not take a commission with taxis but taxis charge you more if call them over the phone so its better if you walk and call your own taxi . the price you cant I beat this place its small has a/c clean pool and good food they alsi have a few good restaurants around the hotel like Eskimo and la plancha and Los ranchos all are walking distance overall its a great place for under40$

• Stayed: January 2012
4  Thank girald
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I came into town for the night to go to the embassy the next day, I chose Hotel D'lido cause it seemed the best option for the price and was close to the Embassy. room was $25 for one person with a fan, not hot enough for AC. I ate two meals here, food was good and I asked the desk clerk 50 questions about buses, the embassy and Leon and she was very helpful. I asked her to call a taxi for me so I could go to a restaurant, the driver she called was far away so she had the waiter walk with me to the main road to get a taxi to make sure I was safe. I ended up just eating at the hotel. Room was clean and very quiet. I will stay here again if I ever have to spend the night in Managua again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank mateowr
Reviewed January 16, 2012

The hotels’ neighborhood is OK, but the hotel was a bit hard to find. There were no restaurants in the near neighborhood. It is a bit far from everything.
This is an old hotel that can certainly use some updating. From a distance, it has a very nice and inviting pool. But the water in the pool was very dirty. It was quite a turn-off. The rooms are dark, grim and quite dated. On surface the hotel appears to be generally clean. However, there were many (and some old) mouse droppings in my closet. Mouse droppings were also falling down from the (office like) ceiling tiles in my room (I had a problem with light …). The room had TV, fan and private bathroom with electric water heater. The lighting in room was very dark. The rooms’ window wouldn’t lock properly. Door knobs and locks were dated, wobbly and not very secure. There was a free internet.
The staff in reception was nice. If you ask them to call a taxi, they will get a commission from the taxi which will be transferred onto you. It is easy and safe, even in the evening, to walk out on the street and get a taxi yourself. You may have to walk a block to get it.
I do not recommend using the airport shuttle service. It was quite disorganized and painful. At the time we were supposed to leave the driver was not even close to ready. At the time of departure for the airport, with a cigarette in his mouth, he leisurely started to check the tires and engine and started putting water into the radiator. Half an hour later, or late, we finally left for the airport. It was then inside the car when I smelled alcohol on his breath.
This hotel was a disappointment for me. I found it to be very overrated and overpriced for what it is. I would not discourage anybody from staying here, but at the same time, there are better places to stay in this city at much better value.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo