“In a town without a lot of attractions, this is a good stop”

Museo Sitio Huellas de Acahualinca
Ranked #15 of 50 things to do in Managua
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I was initial warned off of going to visit the museum by my hostel (I'm a solo female traveler and they told me it wasn't safe to go alone), but I decided to brave it anyways and I'm glad that I did. As previous reviews have mentioned, the building and museum are nothing super special (basically just a couple of roofs put up over the footprints) but the footprints are very cool. There are no signs next to the actual footprints (although there are a few in the tiny room with ceramics next door), so I do recommend accepting the services of a guide--the guide is free but they suggest a tip. A few concrete details: it's a $4 US (about 100 cordoba) admission fee, plus another $1 if you want to take pictures. The surrounding neighborhood is not safe, but if you as long as you don't walk around you should be fine--just go straight from the taxi into the museum. I also suggest asking the guide to help you hail a taxi (both the guide and the security guard helped me find one), as they will usually be more than happy to. Coming from Colonia Los Robles (by the Metrocentro mall) I paid 70 cordoba, which you may be able to barter lower. If you are looking to also visit the Port Salvador Allende, it would make sense to combine the museum with that as they aren't far from each other.

1  Thank travelingbadger2014

Reviewed July 1, 2014

If you are interested in archaeology, this is really worth a visit. The museum shows fossilized footprints from a group of people, that were left behind in mud over 2000 years ago. And that's it. There are a few cabinets with artifacts, but nothing really significant. But that really does not matter, it is fascinating to watch all the footprints and realize that they were put there 2000 years ago.

The footprints were discovered in the late 19th century, and they have been studied by archaeologists since. The museum originates from the 1950's and had an overhaul 25 years ago, but it is time again, as it is rather worn down.

While we were there, a guide suddenly popped up (speaking Spanish and a little English), and could explain a lot about the site and the history which made the visit even more interesting.

The neighborhood does not look too safe, take a taxi there and back.

Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

This site was tough to get to, and it was in a tough part of town. I never thought I would see an actual car part burning in the street, but there it was.
The place is quite special. In so many ways you imagine what those footprints represent. Aside from the obvious, one wonders what the humans were thinking or talking about as they walked through, what they may have been doing or where exactly they were heading to. It is made more amazing by the fact that there is another section containing the same prints that were uncovered at a later date. So as the one path ends, there is another excavated area where the path reappears and carries on in the direction of the lake. All of this is viewed from the current level of earth, about 15 feet above the level of the prints. Amazing. This place really does get you to think. So, in a city that may struggle to blow you away with attractions, check this one out. The on site museum and the facility are a bit of a shambles, but this is a very unique bit of history.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The footprints are just that; mummified footprints. Unless you know the history of the place, you may not understand the significance of this place. I had no guide or pamphlet, so everything I learned, I read from the walls. There's a small museum of artifacts. Unless you're into archaeology, you may not find this site impressive or important.

3  Thank bseo-pero
See more reviews
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I visited at about 2pm on a Sunday. A government website indicates that they open 8-5 on weekdays and 9-4 on weekends. However, the guide present told me that they normally close early on Sundays, but that they waited for me because I had called in the morning saying that I would come.

I enjoyed observing the footprints, comparing the larger ones to the ones that probably belonged to children, and finding the prints of other creatures. There was also a small but interesting exhibit featuring ancient pottery and human remains. Particularly interesting were the bones of a mother and her child holding on to each other. I thought that the short visit (and $4 admission price) was worth it; however, be aware of the fact that you are going in order to see footprints in stone. If you can appreciate the fact that they are prehistoric and be awed by that, then go. Otherwise, you probably won't be too impressed.

I would like to note that the guide was very kind. He went out of his way to a nearby shop to buy a soda so that he could give me change, and he found a taxi for me and even bargained down the price (I had been told beforehand what I should expect to pay for the trip.)

3  Thank Julie R