“Very nice place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 75 Managua B&B and Inns
North Bay, Canada
“Very nice place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here for one night en route to San Juan del Sur - our small second floor room was clean and quiet with a comfortable bed and air conditioning. The proprietors were very kind and helpful. The hotel was nicely appointed in the local style, secure and safe. The breakfast was very good.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Renee W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

My husband and I spent one night in Colibri before leaving Nicaragua. It is beautiful, quiet, very comfortable and has excellent staff. The room is small but has everything we needed: comfortable bed and nice linen, night tables, big closet, tv with many channels (if one feels the need to watch tv while traveling), AC, wifi, hot water and good size bathroom. The room and common areas are spotless clean.

We had to leave early the next morning to catch a flight and we were able to get a fruit box and bread which were very much appreciated.

Two steps from the B&B are two excellent restaurants: Terraza Cevichera and the Cantonese House.

Although we did not visit the neighbourhood, the Metro Centre is supposed to be nearby so the location is good too.

I would no doubt go back to Colibri for my next trip to Managua.

Room Tip: We had room #9 on the 2nd floor and it was perfect for us. I don't know what other rooms are lik...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lnphan
San Juan la Laguna, Guatemala
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Colibrí hostel and breakfast.

The good
The place is new, spotlessly clean and well appointed and I received excellent pre-arrival service via internet from Leslie.

The disappointing
When I arrived and asked if there was coffee, I was greeted with a response, "Well, it is passed breakfast, so there is none available. We MIGHT be able to make you some instant." Later in the day I asked for: A beer? No. An appetizer. No. Snacks? No. I asked, "Is it OK to drink water from the faucet?" "The hostess looked puzzled and said, "WE do." Not a particularly helpful answer. Defaulted to bottled water, which they do sell. I was looking forward to a hot shower for $40, but none was not to be found in my shower. Had to search for the hostess, lights are all off in the lobby.

Conclusion
I wanted to like Colibrí and make it my new place to stay when I have to come to Managua to fly out, but was disappointed with the in house services. This is a place to sleep, watch TV/movies, eat your breakfast and leave. For any other service, guests need to walk the neighborhood. Colibrí didn't work out for me. Next time, I'll go back to a full service hotel.

Room Tip: Room 10 is inexpensive yet has windows.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jeff H
Managua, Nicaragua
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I am so comfortable here. I wish I was staying longer but I fly out tomorrow. Near here...two very good Chinese/Taiwanese restaurants, a really cool little place called Mojito Cuban Coffee, a nice steakhouse on the way to the metro mall. Best area in Nicaragua and unless you are trying to pad an expense account or something, the best place to stay.

Room Tip: I came with luggage. I get the ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Guatemala City, Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

Managua has a very very hot weather, every time I went inside my room it felt like heaven. The room was nice, somewhat small but quite comfortable, I asked for a room in the second floor, away from the main street. The breakfast is delicious and the coffee too. I can't complaint really, we were really pampered here and the staff is very nice and the owner is friendly and helpful and intelligent. There is no key for the rooms so you must be sure you remember codes. About directions, they are a bit complicated with measures and restaurants and hotels as reference. Metrocentro is very close and other good restaurants and a supermarket.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank mary c
Bx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Everything was nice. The bed was so comfortable, the pillows were so comfortable, that I made a note to buy all new pillows for my own bed, Breakfast great, AC, great. neighborhood good.

Taxi drivers do not know where it is. Print the directions.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank mickymoose123
Lake Champlain Islands, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed here with my daughter for five nights and then another night on my own. The small hotel is a nicely renovated home that is secure and peaceful. The rooms are very clean and the staff is most helpful. They investigated tour options for me, answered travel questions, arranged for an excellent airport taxi and kept my excess luggage secure for three days while I was on the road. The free internet access is good and the breakfast was well done with different options every day. The patio is very pleasant and neighborhood atmosphere quiet. Good access to Metro Centro and a large food store. Great place to stay in Managua!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family