“Don't offer a shuttle if you can't run it.”

Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Managua
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The only reason I choose this hotel is because they offer a shuttle from the airport ensuring that we can get to the hotel safetly without worrying about getting kidnapped by an unauthorized taxi. We were 4 women standing alone in the airport at night surrounded only by men. I looked for our arranged shuttle but did not see it. I asked one of the shuttle men from another hotel and he said that it was coming. We waited 45 minutes. Finally a white car pulled up. I said no, we are wiating for the holiday inn shuttle, and he assured me this was it. Tired from waiting for so long, We got in nervously and I clutched by keys in my hand in case I had to do some self-defense. It was not the shuttle but a taxi friend of the airport guy. We got to the hotel safetly but I was so nervous the entire way. When we got to the front desk, I explained that we had waited for 45 minutes for the shuttle before having to get into a strange taxi. She mentioned the complaint to her coworker under her breathe and then continued to tell us how we could pay for the breakfast in advance to save $2. When she handed us our keys, I again repeated my complaint and that I was upset becuase I had not felt safe. At that time the bellman/shuttle driver came over and told her to tell us "Not my fault" and that we should have called the hotel. I told him that it had been scheduled and we were led to believe that a shuttle was coming at any time. I explained that we could on the shuttle as we are 4 women traveling alone in Nicaragua and had safety concerns. He started raising his voice and tell me that Nicaragua was safe and I was exaggerating. At this time, the front desk clerk told him to leave and told us that they would call a manager becuase there was none on duty at the time. The next morning, they called and said they would pay for our shuttle to the airport. WHen I said it was already being provided, they said that's all they could do. What about free breakfast or paying for the taxi we had taken there?! I was so disgusted that I will not be back.
In addition, the rooms are small. Out of the 4 rooms reserved, every single room had very stained and dirty carpets that led all of us to keep our shoes on until we had to step in bed. My friend had no towels in her room and mine were covered in holes.
I will not be returning to this hotel. When in Nicaragua stay at the Intercontinental.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Stephanie S
Ximena C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear Stephanie S,

Thanks for choosing Holiday Inn Managua for your recent stay in our country!

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to express your opinion about your recent stay and apologize for the any inconvenience you experienced.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

We need the flight itinerary to ensure that the shuttle will be waiting for our guests, i apologize for any miscommunication. I looked your reservations in my system and we did not have your itinerary and the reservations were made through our corporate website. I would like to know if you called to the hotel asking for the shuttle or if you asked it as a special request in our website, so I will be sending you a private message to know more.

I apologize again for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again to delete the bad experience.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was overall, bad, old and bad service. The rooms were not clean, the rug was completly filthy and stained. The lights, the A/C and the TV did not work.

The people at the front desk were not nice, taxi drivers had a terrible mood, the waiters at the restaurant were the only people who treated us nicely.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Pao L
EIMejia, Operation Manager (Room Division) at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Guest:

Receive our sincere apology for your recent experience in our hotel. We are addressing all your comments to the involved areas, since it is very important to us your opinion about our facilities and services. We do our best efforts for delivering you and our other guest the service that expect from a Holiday Inn, so be sure that we will take the corrective actions to be consistent with our promisses.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

When visiting Managua for the first time recently we stayed at the Holiday Inn. The facilities were very clean and staff reflected the high level of customer service I have found in well run hotels in Latin Amercia. Far exceeds the customer service in similar facilities in the United States.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Ximena C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear nancybAlbuquerque,

Thanks for your great review.

We are glad you enjoyed our services and stay, our goal is you receiving a great experience. We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back in the near future.

Sincerly,

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great check in service, very nice installations, hotel is very modern and clean. They need to improve the restaurant service cause it's to slow. The pool is very nice. The gym also needs improving (some damaged equipments). Good experience overall.

Room Tip: Priority club floor :)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Ximena C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Guillermo_GT,

Thanks for choosing Holiday Inn Managua and post a review! It´s great to know you enjoyed our modern installations, check in service and pool.

I am addressing your comments about restaurant´s service to our General Manager and food & beverages Manager to take necessary actions and we apologize for any inconvenience you may experienced and thank you .

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

We ended up staying at the Holiday Inn (Managua) because there was no suite available at the Crowne Plaza - which is our regular hotel to stay at when visiting Managua for business. Obviously comparisons between these 2 hotels will be made.
The Holiday Inn is situated well, with a nice view for most rooms. We were on the 5th floor and there was no problem with noise. The rooms were large enough - but the desk was only large enough for one person - which should not be a problem for most business travellers. The air conditioning was noisy every time it "kicked" into service; which can be annoying for light sleepers....
There is a large restaurant with daily local live music, which is nice; and there is a choice of a well attended buffet or menu. The breakfast is also a buffet with a chef who can also prepare an omelette to your taste. Unfortunately the chef who was working the 2 mornings we were there seemed a bit overwhelmed when receiving more than 2 orders at a time.
The salmon {a la plancha) and shrimp cocktail were excellent - other meals that we and our guests tried were average.
The pool is large and there is a small gym area close by to work out.
At suppertime there are young people making exercises outside the restaurant, which is interesting - but not adding to the experience of dining.
Overall, the staff was polite and helpful when needed. The hotel seemed to be a mix of business people and families; which is fine.
I recommend this hotel only if you cannot get a room at the Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Ximena C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear TedandDoris,

Thanks for choosing Holiday Inn Managua for your last stay in our country!

We appreciate you taking the time to let us know your opinion about our hotel since it is really important to us knowing what our guests expect from our services. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Be sure we will take the necessary actions to correct it.

We feel glad you liked our staff, location and restaurant and really hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Excellent pool, big and nice chairs and bar around the pool, good gym as well. However the hotel has not made up their minds about who their customer is. The rent out the common open hall to an aerobics class with people from outside that come at night between 7pm and 9pm and make a lot of noise, their music at least. Though hotel guests can joint for free (as if the noise is an added value if you want to have your dinner on the terrace of the hotel and for example have a business meeting) this is just window dressing. So who is your client: the hotel guest or outside people that hire your place for a couple of hours. For the rest a standard holiday inn experience, nothing to write home about. We booked with points and got some welcome coktail and late check out, which are nice. The location is somehow strange with no other services around like you have at InterContinentnal, CrownPlaze or Hex where you have a shopping mall around.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank JohnLindhout
Ximena C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear JohnLindhout,

Thanks for choosing Holiday Inn Managua for your recent stay in our country!

It is nice to know you enjoyed our pool area, bar, gym and IHG rewards member´s privileges as welcome drinks and late check out.

Our goal is consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We apologize for any inconvenience during your stay.

We really hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I just arrived from a Business Trip in Managua, I decided to stay in the Holiday Inn because it actually had good reviews but since the first day I had issues with the bedroom. I requested a non smoking room, since i have allergies, when I arrived at the Hotel they tell me they have a policy of NON-Smoking in all the Hotel bedrooms. When I arrived to the room i smelled like cigars, I requested a change of room, they told me they had no other rooms available and they couldnt change the rooms, they sent someone to put air freshener but it actually made it worse, the next day i woke up with a migraine due to the smell. I expected a better service from a HOLIDAY INN Hotel, I had terrible service the next day I requested a change in room and they didnt help me. it was until I said that I wasnt going to pay for the room that they agreed to change it.
Service is important. it is now clear to me that Service is not important for this chain.

In conclusion, I will never stay in a Holiday Inn hotel, ANYWHERE

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Frances C
Ximena C, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Frances C,

Thanks for choosing Holiday Inn Managua for your recent stay in our country!

Unfortunately, even though we have a NON-SMOKING policy at the hotel, not all the guest respect it and because of the occupation sometimes the personnel is unable to make room changes. However based on your story we can see that this time the team did not fulfill your expectations of service. I am very sorry you were placed in such a situation and be sure that we will make the right to correct it. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose our brand for your future travel needs so we can have the opportunity to serve you as you deserve.