“Poor for a Holiday Inn”

Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Managua
“Poor for a Holiday Inn”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

On the Nicaragua scale this hotel ranks very high. On a business traveller scale it's low. Good Internet & on time airport shuttle service are a necessity and this hotel has neither.
However if you want a soft mattress & reliable hot water then this may be your best choice.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Frenchconnections
Ximena C, Revenue Manager at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for review our hotel.

Is nice to know that you liked our mattress and hot water. We want to be a great option for our guests so I sent you a private message to have more information.

Best regards.

Ximena Cruz
Revenue Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I was over charged $190.00 by this hotel. Other than that, the staff was excellent and always helpful. On site entertainment can be something that should be considered. However, drinks and meals are a little over priced comparing outside establishments.

• Stayed November 2012
Ximena C, Revenue Manager at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for chose Holiday Inn Convention Center for your last stay in Nicaragua.

It is a pleasure to serve you and is nice to know that you liked our staff. We understand that our entertainment options could not be enough for our guest, we are always available to give information about near entertainment places.

We are going to revert the charge made to your credit card, I apologize for the inconvenience, we are going to do the best that we can to make the process faster.

Thank you and we hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you,

Ximena Cruz Borge
costa rica
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Booked a reservation online. My card was charged. Received a confirmation email.

When I arrived, I was told that my reservation was for the following day. I pulled out and showed my printed copy of their confirmation. After almost an hour of discussion with several different 'no people', I was told they would do me a favor and let me stay.

I booked a junior suite, but arrived to a single room. I asked about this, and they told me that was all that was available. Resigned to make due, I set up and tried to do some work. The internet was out, so there goes that idea.

I went downstairs and asked where I could go for internet, and was told there was no internet. I assured the desk person I was aware of the outage, as that was why I was asking for another location. I was directed to a nearby internet cafe.

Once I got my laptop set up at the internet cafe, I looked online to find the hotel had charged me a second time for my room, this time at a higher price. So I printed the bank statement and took it back to the hotel. After a lot of confusion, an apology was issued and I went to my room to take a nap. Only to find my key no longer worked.

Went downstairs to start all over about my reservation and how I had already paid for the room. Was assured a refund to my card would be issued.

I should mention that I speak fluent Spanish. So there wasn't any translation issues.

I checked out the next day after a long ordeal. I actually spent more time dealing with staff errors than I did working. And it seemed that as many solutions that were presented to them, they found a way to fight through it and make it difficult for me to simply park my things and get some work done.

After a couple of weeks, I've now opened a dispute to the charges that this hotel has failed to take off. Glad I kept my paperwork, as they are now claiming that I rented two rooms that night...

This hotel works hard to make very simple transactions difficult, then employs dishonesty to cover their mistakes.

Room Tip: Stay anywhere but here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank jonesieinhavana
EIMejia, Room Division Manager at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thanks for let us know about your recent experience. Unfortunatelly we do not have enough information about your stay and your complaint in order to take the necesary steps to solve the credit card issue.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We will adress your comments to the involve areas for corrective actions, specially the internet, since we have reacently made an upgrade of our system connection and do not understand what could have happened.

Please do not hessitate to contact us.

Eugenia Mejia
Room Division Manager
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Showed up one hour early and was forced basically to pay an early check in fee which got me very upset but had no choice, unless I would sit in the lobby waiting after a long exhausting trip. When getting in the room, the carpet made the room smell horrible, called reception and sent a lady with a spray can and sprayed the room. What they need to do is either change the carpet or constantly wash them. The view was not good, but really didn't care as no one is perfect. Was told that the room smelled bad because of smokers ( I smoke ) which I felt it was a bad excuse for not maintaining it the way it should. I have been to Nicaragua almost every month for business and will never go back to this hotel again. I have also been to other Holiday Inns, and this one is definitely the exception, even though it is a much newer hotel. Lack of good and proper maintenance is their problem. Location is bad, you cannot walk anywhere and it is dangerous, unless you have a cab to drive you around, you will have to stay indoors. There is a casino in the same building as the hotel and noise is horrible too. When you leave your room to the lobby and parking area to get fresh air, all you get is to hear and listen to major party going on in that casino, and all kinds of people go there. Do not recommend at all. The only good thing I got out of this place was the cab driver, whom I have been using now for all my trips to Nicaragua.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank tiredreamer
Dear Guest:

We appreciate you are taking the time to express your oppinion about the hotel. We regret this experience do not show how much we care to give the excellent service that Holiday Inn deliver to all our guests around the world. We are driving your comments to the involve areas in order they can take the corrective actions.

My apologies and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in order you receive the service you deserve.

Eugenia Mejia
Room Division Manager
San Salvador, El Salvador
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel for several trips now and the warmth of its people is very appreciated, specially when returning from a day's work.
The bartenders at the executive level are great and the quality of the beds is super. I have appreciated a lot the options for soft and firm pillows. Congratulations!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ximena C, Revenue Manager at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear aquarius6502,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. Is great to know that you enjoyed our services and that you felt at home. I will share your kind words to our staff and I know that they will apreciate it.

We hope to see you soon.

Ximena Cruz
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

I feel as a ex employee of holiday inn and also well travelled I am perhaps quite well placed to review this one!

We chose the holiday inn as we wanted a relaxed and fairly up market end to a backpacker style of trip. In the most we were not disappointed.

We had lowly weathe and spent almost all of 2 days poolside. Lovely pool.
The rooms were great. We were on the back and even with a boxing match on couldn't hear a thing. Beautifully clean, good tv choice and large rooms.

Not to keen on the 0830 knock on the door each morning asking if we wanted housekeeping!

The breakfast for a European is really poor. At 13 dollars pretty steep for what you get as well. The food in general at the hotel is pretty bad. Thu are trying to do American/euro style food but it isn't good. If you want that take the 3 dollar tack to the food court at metro centro or zona rosa.

The service at check in was great, as was it pool side. Th service dealing with delayed laundry was not.

Don't use the hotel taxis. Nice but way too expensive. Just step on to road outside and hail a taxi for quarter of price.

Gym good enough and casino ok for quick bit of fun.

I think for central and south America a great hotel. Judging by what we paid around Nicaragua, at 110$ a night pretty pleased with what w for for money and would recommend if you want to spoil yourselves.

• Stayed October 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear jezsta,

Thank you for the detailed review of our hotel. I am pleased that the service you have received at check in was great. . We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering superior service and are happy doing so. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience your restaurant experience may have caused you. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I was in this hotel for 4 nights for business and I must say my stay was very nice. Hotel is very clean, with modern facilities, very nice people at reception, and very comfortable rooms.
Furthermore, this hotel has a wonderful swimminpool and a big gym to excercise.
Breakfast is also very complete.

So, I completely recommmend to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ximena C, Revenue Manager at Holiday Inn Managua - Convention Center, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for let us know how was your stay.
It nice to know that you enjoyed our facilities for business travelers as well as our recreation areas and the front desk friendly attention.

We are addressing your comments about the breakfast to the F&B manager, since it is important to know the opinion of our guest.

Thanks for everything, we hope to have the opportunity to see you and serve you in the future.