“Worst Best Western”

Best Western Las Mercedes
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Managua
Reviewed February 20, 2011

So far, we have stayed at this hotel on two occasions and both were far from satisfactory. The second time, in particular, was dreadful. The room we stayed in looked like a second class holiday camp, with a $100 price tag. And the staff were tremendously unhelpful, thoroughly unfriendly and utterly incompetent. In the restaurant we sat down and ordered two meals. We chose the quietest table we could find with a breeze, only to have to move when one of the waiters turned a television on above our head at a ridiculous volume to a channel on which animals were busy killing each other. Seeing lion disembowel a zebra really isn't conducive to a pleasant eating experience. Not that anyone else wanted to watch. We couldn't help but hear, though. When the food arrived, my traveling companion got only part of her meal (the onion rings were left out) and I got the wrong meal entirely. We complained and the onion rings arrived (though the rest of the meal had been eaten in order to prevent it getting cold) and I was offered no option. When I pointed out that I had the wrong meal, the waiter just said "oh" and then left. Not that this was reflected in the bill where we were charged for the food we didn't order and then had a completely undeserved 10% 'voluntary' tip removed from our change.
The reception staff were also completely useless and verging on unpleasant. They might hate their job, but at $100 a pop, i think our rooms should come with a smile, or at least something short of a scowl. We asked for our complimentary water, as there was none, on three separate occasions before it came, and the following day we had to ask them twice to order us a taxi as the first time they clearly didn't bother despite telling us it was "on it's way" when we asked for an update.
To be honest, this place was a complete joke. The service was appalling, the room was grotty, the food was only just the right side of edible and the staff made Jack Dee look like Mary Poppins, in between bouts of extraordinary incompetence. And we gave them two chances. I would say categorically not to waste your money ( we won't be doing so again) and to go find one of the other international hotels in Managua that do measure up to their reputation (though you should first check that they have a shuttle service).

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank DotAndDoris
There are newer reviews for Best Western Las Mercedes

Reviewed February 18, 2011

I checke into the BW with modest expectations. All I wanted was a clean, efficient room to crash in before my early morning flight across the street.

The staff member who checked me in was courteous and helpful. A good start!

I was shown to my room which I found to be a unspectacular and small. Again, I would have been fine with the above had I nor discovered bedbugs under my sheets. Suffice it I say, I quickly collected my things and left the room. The staff tried hard to assuage my concerns but I couldn't bring myself to stay in another room in this hotel.

Bottom line: Avoid until management puts the bedbug problem to rest.

• Stayed: February 2011
5  Thank mbaoverlord
Reviewed February 15, 2011

At a walking distance from the airport the hotel is a good choice if you want an early flight. The gardens are very beautifull. My room and bathroom were clean with a good airconditioning. The swimmingpool was nice, clean and refreshing. The staff was slow and more concerned with tabs than with service, The restaurant is mediocre, without atmosphere and overpriced as is everything else in this hotel.

Robert Prummel
The Netherlands

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 12, 2011

We stayed at this the last night of our mission trip to Nicaragua. To be honest, I would have rather slept in the airport. It would have been cleaner. We stayed in the summer camp looking housing which cost us $100...ridiculously expensive. Walked into a tiny room with 3 small twin beds, fluorescent lighting, a wall a/c unit and BUGS! We did the typical bed bug inspection knowing we were concerned about them staying at a hotel such as this. But, didn't find any during our inspection and felt we would be safe. Entering in the bathroom there were little white bugs scurrying all over the toilet and the floor. Disgusting. We woke up the next morning and felt a little itchy...by mid day we noticed that our 7 year old son had about 20 bed bug bites all over his back and chest. My husband had them on his back and I had some as well. BEWARE of this hotel. We had never stayed in Managua before and had to trust our guide, who I think stayed in one of the newer, and probably cleaner rooms, than what we stayed in. There are other hotels in Managua....they are probably way better than this. Do not waste your money or your health on this hotel. Now we have to work vigilantly to clean and launder and hopefully get rid of them before they infest our home! Thank goodness we noticed this before we got settled back home! Do not let the pictures on the internet deceive you into thinking its a nice hotel...yes, nice landscaping but they are not taking care of their rooms!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank nkytraveler
Reviewed February 1, 2011

This was a beautiful hotel in the perfect location! We needed something close to the airport for an early morning flight, and this was literally directly across the highway from where we needed to be, but the shuttle was super easy. The pool was a great refresher, and the computers in the business center were very convenient. Staff was amazing! Rooms were a little pricey by Nicaraguan standards and a little small, but completely worth it! The whole property was amazing.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 22, 2011

I stayed here twice during a trip to Nicaragua. The first time I was in a room with only one window. The other side window had been plastered over (the 120s). It felt too dark and small. The second time I was in the 160s and both sides had large windows which felt much better. My colleagues staying the night before complained about the loud noises from a wedding since the room looks out toward the restaurant and larger pool area.
But what made me write a review was the tour the staff connected me to, through Tour Nicaragua. The driver (Oscar) invited a translator, Brian, who is 12 and speaks perfect English having spend the first 9 years of his life in England. He just started this job during school vacation, but he was very helpful and did a great job. If you decide to go on a tour, ask for him!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel three times in the last year. As far as convenience for aiport access goes, it can't be beat. Right across the street from the airport.

I've read a couple reviews saying it wasn't clean, I can't say that was my experience. I find the hotel to be tidy, the staff is very helpful and the food is great. The price of the food and beverages is higher than in the rest of the country, but still less expensive than in North America. The cost of a beer in the rest of the country is about 40 cords (approx $2 U.S.) and at the hotel its closer to 60 cords.

There are two pools to choose from, both are generally clean and well situated. The hallways floors are tiled, earlier morning you will hear the sounds of wheeled suitcases clacking on them but its not that bad. As far as hearing planes taking off and landing, its really not that loud, especially considering the location. I can't say it bothered my sleep at all.

The only problem I've had is on one stay the water pressure in the room was low. Really, not that bad of a deal.

The rooms are spacious, airconditioned and there is hot water for the showers (which is often an option you pay extra for in Nicaragua).

Keep in mind that Nicaragua is a developing country, you don't go to Nicaragua for five star luxury. This is a beautiful country, with amazing sights and wonderful people, but you MUST be aware of your surroundings at all times and be cautious regarding personal security. This hotel is a nice, relaxing place to start or end your trip. It is upscale compared to a lot of places you will go to (if you are touring).

• Stayed: October 2010