“The Truth: Do not stay here if you have standards!”

Best Western Las Mercedes
Ranked #14 of 50 Hotels in Managua
Reviewed May 1, 2009

For $90 you can get a fine hotel in Nicaragua. It isn't here! My room was bug infested and in a wooden cabin. No hot water. All night long a crowd of screaming and drunk tourists were checking in and out with free vouchers from the airlines. The airport is very near which is OK for an early flight but nothing else is nearby. The restaurant is only a deal if you have never been to Central America. This place is for large tour groups from lord knows where who might be thrilled that they are staying in a chain hotel for under $100, it is not for people in the know or people with standards. Even the much heralded pool was dirty. Not even good for a peaceful nights sleep as crowds come and go at all hours and there is loud music

Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank irvingirving

Reviewed April 30, 2009

I stayed here for 1 night , at the end of my vacation, because I had a 6:00 am flight the next day. The best thing about it is the location right across the street from the airport. I checked in the hotel in the early evening, then dropped my rental car off at the airport and walked back over to the hotel.
I booked a room on-line after a couple of e-mails to the hotel. On-line you can only book a room for 2 people, so I asked the hotel if they had a room for 4 people, 2 adults and 2 kids (10,13). They said yes via e-mail, but the reality is all the rooms are the same small size. For the 4 of us they brought in a single bed, not a fold up bed, but a full single. So, we had 3 of us in the queen bed and 1 in the single bed. So, if you have 4 people in your family you will want 2 rooms unless you want to be squished.
I didn't eat at the restaurant, and did not see anything near by. My kids liked the pool, except for a lot of leaves in it. It looks like they were ripping up the tile and remodeling the pool area. Free time-limited access to the computers in the business center was nice to check e-mail since we did not bring laptops on our trip.
I didn't notice any airport noise after about 8:30 or 9:00 pm.
I would only stay here for the convenience to the airport, or if you want to avoid a trip to a downtown hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2009

We stayed here as our plane arrived in Managua in the evening. The hotel is conveniently located across the street from the airport. The birds found on the hotel grounds were great. Ferruginous Pygmy-owls were calling, Turquoise-browed Motmots were near the tennis courts, Hoffmann's Woodpeckers calling, 4 species of orioles in one tree...

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stylurus
Reviewed March 22, 2009

So, the location is super for an over night stay since it is right across the street from the Managua airport. It's a big hotel with pools and etc. However, my 3 roomates and I ended up sleeping on the hotel floor because we came across swarm of bed bugs in the middle of the night. It was DISGUSTING. I knew something was crawling on me but I thought i was being paranoid. Until one of my roomate couldn't take it anymore and decided to see what really was underneath our sheets. We beamed our flashlights on our sheets, we saw black/brown, oval shaped, flat headed bugs: identified as bed bugs. THEY WERE EVERYWHERE even when we slepted on the floor. My roomate had to sleep outside by the pool on the lounge chair. The bugs came with us to the other hotels in Nicaragua and even back to USA w one of my roomate. She had to get an exterminator. But I was physically attacked by them and had to be on steriods along with other anti histamines so reduce the itchiness and the inflammation. I looked like freddy cougar from all the red spots. THIS is the WORST HOTEL EVER.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Crushvelvet
Reviewed February 24, 2009

I recently stayed at the Best Western, which was more like the Worst Western. As some reviews have said, the grounds are beautiful, the food (especially the breakfast) is pretty good, and is certainly very convenient for an early morning flight out of Managua. But these positive aspects were FAR outweighed by what the rooms were like. Our first night there, after going to sleep, we found that all 3 beds were completely infested with bedbugs. We ended up getting bitten everywhere -- totally disgusting. (If you stay there, do NOT stay in room 111!) We couldn't change hotels for our last night there, but got a different room. Didn't see bedbugs in the second room, but we did see an enormous dead cockroach, other dead insects, and bees flying around in the bathroom. I would NOT stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2009
2  Thank Suibian
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Why didn't they install window screens??? Lots of mosquitoes, and hordes of ants. Did not have this problem at the Hilton or Seminole. Staff was kind of surly, I did appreciate the beautiful grounds, 2 swimming pools and proximity to the airport. I guess it is ok for one night, but not a luxury hotel by any means.

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed December 23, 2008

My husband and I have been staying at Las Mercedes for three years on our way into and out of Nicaragua. At first we just loved the convenient of being able to walk across the street to the airport. Now with two years of renovations completed, Las Mercedes is still our favorite in Managua. The air conditioners are quiet and the gardens date back to before the earthquake that leveled Managua. The outdoor dining is peaceful and the food delicious. We also enjoy all the events that are scheduled at Las Mercedes - lots of fancy dresses and bands entertaining private groups many evenings.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)