“Great Hotel at the Managua Airport”

Best Western Las Mercedes
Ranked #12 of 51 Hotels in Managua
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Great Hotel at the Managua Airport”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

A team of three of us on a mission trip stayed at this hotel on New Year's Eve (December 31), 2012. The hotel was full due to the annual New Year's Eve dance, meal and fireworks but our room was quiet and comfortable. The fireworks were spectacular! Our room did not have hot water for our shower, but we didn't mind as we have experienced this in other South and Central America locations. We understand that some rooms do have hot water. The grounds and reception area of the hotel were clean, attractive and large enough to accommodate the crowd that evening. The staff was excellent and very attentive. The breakfast buffet in the morning was most ample and tasty!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Czech first
Arlington, VA
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My son and I arrived in Managua to find out that my husband had missed his flight. I knew it was only across the street but it was in the evening and my Spanish is sub-par so I was a bit nervous. He called the Best Western and let them know the circumstance and since he didn't think I would get his text (it arrived unbeknownst to me while I was still in Miami taxing out- was glad I didn't turn off my phone) he called the hotel and asked them if it was possible to meet me.

Indeed there was a fellow standing right outside of customs with a sign and calling my name. I was quite relieved. He was very nice and he handed me the phone which had the Best Western manager on it telling me in Spanish that my husband missed his flight and would be here in the morning. (I understand more than I can speak.)

The rooms were clean, the service was very nice, they spoke English at the front desk, had an ok restaurant. They even sent out someone to pick up my husband in the morning which was above and beyond. I was very impressed. I would highly recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Nicaragua, Rivas, Nicaragua
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I have stayed here so many times for the convenience of being next to the airport, and every time I am disappointed in the service and the price. By Managua standards you would pay $60 dollars for a room as nice.

My quejas. I have been sprayed by pesticides here twice. One time a man was spraying the hallways with a huge blower - and white smoke was coming into the rooms under the door. The smell was horrible. I was pregnant at the time and had to run out of the hotel through the diesel/permethrin mix of pesticide smoke. We left the hotel to stay somewhere else, but I was exposed and got your typical pesticide exposure sickness. The management told me that what they were spraying was safe and did not contain diesel but the men spraying told me diesel was in the mix. What was so infuriating was that they could have easily told the guests - we are going to spray so that we could have left during the actual spraying but they did not.

Other issues I have with the place is as follows.

While there is supposedly hot water in the room it is luke warm and often have to run the water for 15 minutes before getting it hot at all. The hotel keeps them set low so if your not getting hot water, call the front desk front desk and they send someone to adjust the setting outside the room and then the water heats up (quicker and hotter).

This time we arrived and their new policy is to not give drinking water in the rooms. That is fine but I asked if there is somewhere to get water they said they would send it as I have 2 small children that were thirsty. Three calls later - and we fell asleep waiting. Same with the hot water - when we called 3x noone came, but we were told someone was on the way. The only way to get service here is to go to the front desk and ask for it and wait to someone comes with you to fix the issue. I went to the front desk and asked for a glass of drinking water and they said there would not be drinking water until 6 am. (it was 5:50) and I would have to wait another 10 minutes. When I complained again, they pulled out 2 bottles of water from beyond the bell station and gave them to me for free, as a courtesy.

Same thing with the wireless internet - it did not work when we first arrived. Had to do to the front desk area to get a signal. I called twice for this and they did fix this after about 1 hour.

While the convenience and overall feel of this place is great - I feel the hotel takes advantage of that location to charge ridiculous prices for Managua ($120 with tax for 1 night) for subpar service. This is the Best Western - you think they could do better than that. I am always annoyed by the price of this hotel because there is ALWAYS an issue here. I have stayed numerous times and always leave saying, the convenience wasn't worth it. There are much better options in Managua.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Tabatha P

Travelers are raving about these Managua hotels

Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have stayed over at this hotel several times. It is located right across from the airport, though you would have to cross 6 lanes of traffic if you forgo the free shuttle. The rooms are nice and bright with air conditioning, large bathrooms, and TVs. Overall it is very clean and well kept. There are 2 pools and a work out facility, as well as Wi-fi throughout the property.
And the breakfast is fantastic! I was very sad I missed out on it on my last visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Whiteriver, Arizona
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We usually stay here on the first or last night in Nicaragua. It is an easy place to stay due to the location in regards to the airport. The breakfast is good and the made to order omelette is great. There was a lot of noise here on our last trip. This hotel is frequented by mission teams on their way in and out of the country. So quite a bit of teenagers and young adults around. It is a decent stay. Usually the shower is lukewarm, but it is a very nice shower. They have American shampoo. They are great in the airport and it is great to have a familiar face at baggage claim to help you. They will get you through the airport and to the hotel quickly. There air conditioner is great in the rooms. I got too cold which is hard to do in Managua.

Room Tip: Ask for a king room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Feliznavidad4040
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Let's face it, Best Western doesn't exactly have an "upscale" reputation - at least here in the US. last summer we stayed here twice during a 9 day trip to Nicaragua. Literally a walk across the street from the airport, easy to get to - though you are not downtown, which may be an issue if you're there primarily for business or you are not adventuresome. Reasonably priced, and a very nice pool and bar area. The hotel is "open air" in that you are walking outside between lines of small one story buildings with rooms in them. Many rooms are recently renovated and upgraded, while others are still in need thereof.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Yadkinville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have stayed at the Las Mercedes on 8 different occasions. Service is poor. Especially at the front desk. They aren't responsive when there have been issues. They gave me a room and I went and found someone else already staying in the room not even registered. Security? There are better choices for the money. They only survive because of their proximity to the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the lobby. The farther you get from the lobby, the lower the quality of the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business