“Avoid if possible”

Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Managua
East Coast
“Avoid if possible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2008

We stayed at the Best Western Las Mercedes because American Airlines cancelled our return flight to the US. The hotel is directly across the street from the airport in Managua, so it is most convenient. This is never a hotel that I would have chosen on my own. The lobby area is decent and they do offer free, unlimited internet service. However, the rooms are absolutely horrible. Our room was completely covered in various types of bugs. Our neighbors across the hall requested a member of the housekeeping staff to bring bug spray which she did. I asked if she would spray my room as well and she said that I had to make my own request through the front desk. We couldn't even get to sleep because literally when I pulled back the comforter there were bugs crawling all over the sheets. There was also no hot water for showers.

• Liked — free unlimited internet access
  • Disliked — hotel rooms
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank seetheworld0506

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Czech first
Bridgeport, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2008

My family and I stayed 1night at this hotel and it was bad. First, I had to change rooms 3 times because there were bug issues (mosquitos & small lizard) swarming around. By the 4th room I was given, there were more mosquitos there, so they decided to come and spray bug spray all over the room which mind you i could not sleep because it was horrible with all the fumes. I ended up staying in that room because I figured that there might be the same problems in the next room and it was the middle of the night to go looking for another place to stay. Probably sleeping outside would have been cleaner and cheaper. When I called front desk to complain, instead of being friendly they acted like I was annoying. When I checked out in the morning the guy at the front desk was rude, did not even say a word about the 3-4 times I had to get my room changed. Well at the end of the day, only thing I liked was that the airport is right in front of it and the only thing I probably liked was the hamburger that I ordered! I donot recommend this hotel because it is pricey for what it has to offer and service sucks.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank Dolly C

Travelers are raving about these Managua hotels

Auberry, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2008

We stayed here both on our arrival and the night before we left. We arrived early morning and were able to check right in. We spent the day by the pool and had it to ourselves. We had a few beers and a nice lunch poolside. Being it's right across the street from the airport we were able walk over and great our friends who came in early evening and use the ATM machine. We had dinner which was fair and the service was good and friendly. We saw 4 different rooms thoughout our stay. They were all simular but some were a little nicer than others. Nothing great but just fine for a night and very convenient to the airport. Maybe a little overpriced but worth it for the convenience.

• Liked — Location to the airport
  • Disliked — Noisey airconditioning
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bertini
Ashland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2008

Had read the reviews for Las Mercedes but had a late flight in and early flight out so went with it. The staff has a person at the luggage claim to direct you to the shuttle bus once you have your luggage for the 200 yard ride across the street. Rooms were large and decently clean and the AC worked. The hotel is huge and sprawling, had a couple drinks and dinner by the pool, the beer was cold and food reasonable and modestly priced.

We were able to leave a bag at the hotel for 10 days and pick it up on our return which was nice. They should give you a recipt to claim it later.

I also had the hotel call a taxi I had prearranged and they did that and let me know everything was fine.

The only complaint I have about Las Mercedes is the price, I spent more on 2 nights there than the other 9 in Nicaragua combined. But still a good option for a 6am flight out.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2008

This place definitely ranks in one of the worst places I have ever stayed in. The staff is rude and uncooperative. They had a coffee machine in the room but would not give me the coffee sachet to make coffee in my room, instead they suggested that I should come to the lobby to get coffee if I needed to.

The beds were bad, the bathroom did not have hot water and the shower head was broken.

The only good thing is that it is right across the airport and is convenient for taking an early morning flight out of Managua.

Avoid this hotel if at all possible.

• Liked — Airport access
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2008

Convenient in the sense that its right across the street from the airport and you can walk (carefully) across the street.

The cost associated with this place is criminal. VERY strong moth ball odor. Small rooms, can't be certain my bed wasn't concrete. Same goes for pillow. Room was in complete disrepair, disgusting actually. Apparently lamp shades are in short supply in Managua...all lamps had bulbs exposed. Toilet didn't work. Filthy! I don't know if they were trying to give you a local flare in their accommodations but I assure you I wouldn't have had to pay a local $90 to stay in their tin shanty.

Restaurant was expensive for where you are, but the food was pretty decent. Restaurant was residence to a pesky 0ne-legged disgusting bird that would fly from table to table eating unattended food.

Pool area was decent.

Best Wester has lost my business completely. This was ridiculous. Do not stay here unless like me, you have absolutely no other options. Its pretty clear why this place had vacancy when all other places in town were booked solid.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2008

Positives: It's across the street from the airport
Negatives: Expensive, noisy air conditioner, uncomfortable beds, cold shower.

• Liked — location to the airport
  • Disliked — uncomfortable
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family